Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to release a king

Default How NOT to release a king

Beautiful fish, great job landing it. Client earned a great trophy. His guide handled it great; until the end. There is no excuse for any angler in Alaska, but especially a guide whose responsibility is to follow regulations and see that his clients do the same, to treat a salmon like this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aleknagik+king

This fish will likely not spawn. Its protective layer of slime is largely gone and the added stress from being out of water not breathing for so long will make it difficult for him to reach spawning grounds and successfully fertilize eggs. The very reason that our regulations clearly state the following: "Any king salmon removed from freshwater drainages of Bristol Bay from Cape Menshikof to Cape Newenham MUST BE RETAINED." -Page 13 of the SouthWest Alaska fishing regulations.

The lodge's website does not have a single photo of a king which can be legally released.

And folks whine about any regulations that prohibit removing fish from the water before releasing them....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Its guys like this that force more restrictive regs on everyone. And who care less about following said regulations.

The last shot of him holding it before they released it the camera blipped so you know he dropped it..... thats disgusting
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Yup, expert guiding there boy, top notch!!!
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

They should have learned in middle school - it's the same length no matter how many times you measure it!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    The last shot of him holding it before they released it the camera blipped so you know he dropped it..... thats disgusting
    Hell....just the way he was holding it...!!! I don't know many that are that fond of fish slime all over their upper body.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Unfortunately, too, this lodge and its guide will proudly advertise that they release their kings unharmed, to fight another day, and prospective clients will buy the hype.

heres another good example for you...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_n6pJ-qamk

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    heres another good example for you...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_n6pJ-qamk
    awful. I love the reason for releasing it. "its too dark." Not that it was snagged, not that it had been removed from the water, but it was a bit dark.

Seeing the average Joe releasing fish can be painful to watch, both from a boat and from the bank. Both videos showcase the most common mistakes excited folks make when releasing fish rec-caught salmon.

A simple dehooker would have made quick work of the dark jack.... off in a flash. Dragging a fish ashore is completely unnecessary unless your intent is to apply the wood shampoo.

Keep them in the water!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

While it's not about kings, this vid highlights the key points of prudent release technique.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2PT_bY6fc
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    While it's not about kings, this vid highlights the key points of prudent release technique.

I've seen a couple of your youtube videos with you using a dehooker but none that clearly show the design or how to use it on big fish like kings. Can you help me out?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

"but its easier to just drag them up on the bank where they won't take my hook if they break my line and then just kick them back in..." So infuriating seeing this. I have seen so many poor handling infractions and blatant poaching this year it makes me sick. And of course you can never get ahold of fish and game.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I've seen a couple of your youtube videos with you using a dehooker but none that clearly show the design or how to use it on big fish like kings. Can you help me out?

A simple but very elegant de-hooker can be fashioned from nothing more than a dowel and a threaded hook screw.

Here's the technique demonstrated by my daughter Jaimi on a foam "fish"

Grab the leader with your NON-dominant hand and approach the hook as shown with the de-hooker held in your dominant hand.

Here's the close-up...

Engage the hook as shown, locking the bend of the de-hooker into the bend of the hook. PULL YOUR HANDS APART to create constant tension

Now simply lower your leader hand and simultaneously raise your de-hooker hand while maintaining constant tension bend-to-bend...

The fish will INSTANTLY fall off with its first wiggle!

Engaging and removing a hook in this fashion is way more ergonomic and efficient than pliers, and if you accidentally drop your tool, it floats!

Here's an OLD on-the-water video tutorial ....

The KeenEye MD

Will probably make Doc cringe, but I use the gaff that way quite often...

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Will probably make Doc cringe, but I use the gaff that way quite often...
    That's how the commercial trollers do it.... but only because the caliber of the gaff matches the size of their hooks.

If you use ginormous hooks for rec fishing, a gaff can still work. I'm down to about 3/0 for most of my fishing, so the threaded hook screw works best. I make them in 3 sizes depending on the quarry. One for BIG kings, a medium one for small salmon, and small one for trout.
    The KeenEye MD

Roger that. Yeah, I am thinking more halibut and larger hook stuff. Nice custom logo on the quickfish!

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    "but its easier to just drag them up on the bank where they won't take my hook if they break my line and then just kick them back in..." So infuriating seeing this. I have seen so many poor handling infractions and blatant poaching this year it makes me sick. And of course you can never get ahold of fish and game.
    With rules in place for mandatory C&R, slot limits, and/or hatchery-only retention, we should all strive to improve our release technique to maximize the chances for the fish's survival. Air-time is what you want to avoid so work quickly and keep the fish's head in the water.

From the bank....

1) Gear yourself appropriately. Boat guys have the advantage of a moving platform that cancels out the power of the current. Bank guys don't. Beef up your gear accordingly so that you can land that fish as quickly as possible. Single barbless hooks make the job of de-hooking so much easier, helping you to minimize handling time.

2) Keep the fish in the water! More specifically, strive to keep the fish's head in the water. Don't drag the fish ashore onto the rocks, gravel or mud! Instead get some decent waders and get in the water yourself to meet the fish in its element rather than hauling him out into yours.

3) If you want to take a photo, have your buddy ready the camera BEFORE the fish is landed. There's usually plenty of time to do this as kings typically take a while to land. Keep the fish in the water!

From a boat....

1) Fight the fish aggressively and bring it to net/hand as quickly as possible. If the fish is a smaller king, just grab the leader directly to de-hook the fish... it helps to use the stoutest leader possible for this maneuver. Kings are NOT leader shy so 40-60# test is pretty typical.

2) A larger fish can be landed more quickly with the aid of a net. A soft material with finer mesh will be much less damaging to slime, scales, and fins. A net pen style bag shaped like a laundry basket will make the task easier. Put the motor in neutral the instant that fish is corralled in the bag, allowing the boat to free-drift in the current. This will take all water tension off the bag, allowing the bag to lay loose in that "laundry basket" shape to keep from smothering/constricting/crushing the fish. You want to simply contain the fish to facilitate hook removal, you don't want it mummy-wrapped in a straight-jacket.

3) NEVER MOTOR UPRIVER with a fish in the bag... it WILL be instantly crushed by the current's force on the bag. A fish may be gently towed crosscurrent in the bag while drifting downriver to prevent a collision with other boats or to get to safer/quieter water, but it should be done with the motor barely in gear at idle or near-idle, and the person handling the net should lean over to support the fish and point its snout in the direction of travel.

4) Rather than netting a large fish in heavy current or boat traffic, consider beaching it in quiet water. This takes planning to pre-determine an appropriate landing site while you're still in the heat of battle. You'll need to methodically fight that fish, leading it toward the intended landing site, virtually always somewhere DOWNRIVER from where you are currently fighting it. By the time you're ready to beach the boat at the pre-planned spot, the fish should be under reasonable control for the angler to jump out to conclude the fight while wading. At this point, you can treat it just like a bank-caught fish as discussed above. Remember foremost... DON'T drag the fish completely ashore onto the rocks, gravel, and/or mud. KEEP IT IN THE WATER!
    The KeenEye MD

The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast