Thread: Scouting the Russian for next Week?

Default Scouting the Russian for next Week?

Has anyone been out scouting the Russian for reds in the past few days? Any red's being spotted in the river yet?

According to a report on AOJ there have been reds spotted near the confluence. Thats the best I can offer you unfortunately. I live to far to drive down and check it out now.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

A friend walked from the confluence to the end of the boardwalk on Saturday and did not see any fish. we (or should I say they) still have a week to move on up! I forgot to ask him about water level though, but again there is a whole week for that to change too. see you guys up there!

counter had a few fish past it. Guess there are some in there.

Thanks for the updates guys. Really appreciated. Still gonna go no matter what but it it's always nice to hear reports.

Where's the opening day stringer shots??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No stringer shots but it wasnt bumper to bumper down below the ferry this morning. Fished from 5:30 to 10:30 this morning and did ok. Probably 15 hookups and amazingly all were properly hooked in the mouth, zero foul hooked. I handed the fly rod over to my 7 year old after i hooked up. Its was a joy teaching him how to land a sockeye. Went home with two fish and a huge smile on my face

Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Scouting the Russian for next Week?

No stringer shots here either but I got my limit. Biked into the falls for the midnight start but only got one red in the 2 hours I fished before heading back out. Hiked in from Pink Salmon the next morning and got my other 2 reds in about 3 hours. Then I got the 5-weight and caught 2 rainbows and 1 dolly (all around mid-teens). Very, very slow but fishing none the less and not much of a crowd either.

Any news from the lower Kenai?

Took a great stringer full on saturday. It wasnt hot and heavy but experienced anglers know what to do. We lost a lot of fish as well. Could have caught maybe 4 peoples limits.

I took a stop in last night from 8:30-10:30. I hiked from grayling up past the power line. The water is pretty high, and I had my 3 year old with me so I didn't cross the river to check many of my favorite holes. That being said, I didn't locate any fish and decided not to risk taking my little girl swimming just to double check every hole! All said and done, she and her barbie pole had a great fishing trip with daddy and she was happy, so it was still a successful outing!

We were planning on floating the Kenai on Tuesday but its not sounding good. Any news on the Russian? If the Kenai stays up we may hike in, thanks

Water is VERY high, but fish are moving through.

It's been the slowest fishing in recent memory.