Thread: Factory ammo for Sako 85: .308 / .300 win mag / .375 H&H?

Default Factory ammo for Sako 85: .308 / .300 win mag / .375 H&H?

Working on fine tuning sighting in for 3 rifles, appreciate feedback from anyone who owns (or has shot extensively) any of the following Sako 85 rifles: Finnlight .308 / Grey Wolf .300 win mag / Kodiak .375 H&H.

Specifically, would appreciate any info re: best factory loads for any/all of these to get me going in the right direction. I'd like to avoid excessive (costly) experimentation (and in the case of the .375, shoulder injury), so if you've found something that works well, or something that doesn't, whether a brand or a bullet weight, post away.

Presumably the Grey Wolf would also be comparable with the Sako stainless hunter or others in the same caliber, general configuration, and barrel length.

I'm not a reloader (yes, I should be) so looking for commercially available ammo recommendations only.

Thanks!

Every rifle is an individual with regard to loads that it likes or not- even two identical ones.

That said... I've had uniform good results from Federal "Blue Box" and Nosler "Trophy Grade" in over a dozen different rifles over the last few years.

That's where I would start.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Forager, I like your Avatar. What a "Classic" Movie.

Thanks guys. Yeah, one of the best movies ever, and definitely my favorite Western of all time. Bronson, Robards, Fonda, Cardinale...

Thanks for the suggestion re: ammo. That should get me started. Having an issue with all 3 rifles with wide and erratic groups, and although I'm not a stellar marksman, I'm not that bad. Assuming it's not me (or not just me) that's the problem, and that 3 Sako rifles can't all be screwy, it has to be either an issue of ammo or an issue of scope mounting (using Leupold mounts/rings on all 3). Thought I'd try ammo first, then if that doesn't help, start replacing scope mounts, and go from there.

Forager, there are a lot of variables to look at from ammo to marksmanship. If your having 3 diff calibers giving you unacceptable results then I would start with the 308 as the lesser recoiling brute and have a friend that is a good shot go with you for some range time. Let them and you shoot it and see what the results are, sometimes minor holding changes can make a big difference. Cheek-weld, and repetition of proper eye to scope distance are two big culprits at times... When shooting the heavy recoilers most of us will get enlarging groups after many rounds are fired... You are using good guns, scopes, and mounts it appears - I would have a hard time thinking all three had mechanical or ammo likes or dislikes issues? Best of luck in your quest !
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My problem is, I just don't know that many guys with Sakos. In fact I only know three, all of them shooting 375H&H, but I can't tell you the model of any of them. All these guys have owned them for years, two having once worked as packers for bear guides, and one still doing it. Coincidence or not, all of them are shooting the Remington 270 grain CoreLokt.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Same boat, don't know nothing about Sako except the one I own. Never needed to bed or do a trigger job, rifle just shoots precise. All things considered don't overlook the probable need to bed barrel/action, perhaps trigger job. The Sako's I've come into contact triggers were good. Every rifle I've encountered it seems shot bullets its own way. Factor ammo have generally killed everything I've shot at, maybe not bug holes but worked flawlessly most every time. I've found testing factory fodder to be expensive, once I've found a brand/bullet combo buy boxes of them. Suspect the only certainty in shot placement an I'm being abit anal here is hand rolling your own rounds, finding an noting the load and keeping it handy. Hope this helps some.

Thanks again, guys. All helpful points. After messing around with various possibilities, I've come to the following conclusion: the rifles are fine, the ammo is fine, and I'm a reasonable shot, but the length of pull is really throwing me off. Sako comes in around 14.25", so around 3/4 to 1 inch difference from the Model 70s and M77s I'm used to. I'm a fairly short guy and also have a preference for 2-7x scopes, so between length of the scope tube/position, eye relief, and length of stock, it's throwing me way off my game, and I'm having to strain my neck when the scope is at highest magnification. Don't know why I didn't realize this was the issue sooner, but it is--and at least there's a reasonable fix for it. So, now to get the stocks cut and length of pull adjusted, with new recoil pads to come. Which isn't a bad thing, because as much as I love Sako quality and workmanship, the Sako 85 recoil pads aren't far off from a chunk of rubber tire.

Good discovery. Thanks for reporting back!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

That would certainly explain it!

I agree...Sako uses hockey puck for a recoil pad.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Update: it was indeed the length of pull that was the issue. Andy Hawk did a beautiful job on both the .308 and the .375 (left the .300 alone, as I've decided to sell it) and between proper size and new recoil pads shooting is much more pleasant and groupings have tightened up quite a bit. Still need some fine tuning, but more of my shooting than of the rifles.

(100 yard group with the .308)
    Attached Images Attached Images

.375 at 100 yards, 300 grain Federal Premium. (.308 was 168 grain Federal Premium)
    Attached Images Attached Images

That'll work for making stuff dead.

I have owned the same harmonica since I was a kid. The only tune I ever played was the one Bronson played on that movie prior to some bad guy taking a dirt nap. My mom hid my harmonica cuz she was sick and tired of hearing that same monotonous tune over and over again.
    Favorite scene was Bronson's response to being told " looks like we are short one horse". Also Jack Elam catching a fly in his gun barrel. I've watched it a hundred times.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Favorite scene was Bronson's response to being told " looks like we are short one horse". Also Jack Elam catching a fly in his gun barrel. I've watched it a hundred times.
    Only time Henry Fonda ever played a bad guy. And man, what a bad guy he played.

Not to mention, Claudia Cardinale.