Thread: Gyrfalcon

Default Gyrfalcon

Anyone know where there are nesting Gyrfalcons are?

Yup. But I'm not saying. Passed the info onto the wildlife folks, and it goes no further from my lips.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

And the reason for asking is?

Wouldn't tell
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yep, I do.

my wife is a licensed Alaskan falconer and would to train and hunt with a gyr now.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yup. But I'm not saying. Passed the info onto the wildlife folks, and it goes no further from my lips.
    So...pray tell, why the secrecy? What's the big deal?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

You think sheep hunters are secretive with info? Falconers take it to the next level.

Okay, so let me ask the stupid question. Are gyrfalcons legal to capture in Alaska? I don't know of any bird of prey legal to harvest or live trap in Alaska.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Default Gyrfalcon

Falconers are allowed to capture birds and raid nests. A whole other set of regulations apply.

"Falconers are allowed to capture birds and raid nests"

"raid nests"? a little harsh. do not hunters and trappers go to the places that they will be the most successful? we don't call it "raiding the area" Nesting sites are the best place to find fledglings or passage birds.
    Just thought since I am member of this forum and an advocate of ethical hunting and trapping, there may have been a like minded member who may know of area that has nesting Gyr's that we do not know of.
    Falconry is another way of enjoying hunting and being in the outdoors. we just use a bird instead of a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by isnarewolves View Post
    "Falconers are allowed to capture birds and raid nests"

"raid nests"? a little harsh. do not hunters and trappers go to the places that they will be the most successful? we don't call it "raiding the area" Nesting sites are the best place to find fledglings or passage birds.
    Just thought since I am member of this forum and an advocate of ethical hunting and trapping, there may have been a like minded member who may know of area that has nesting Gyr's that we do not know of.
    Falconry is another way of enjoying hunting and being in the outdoors. we just use a bird instead of a dog.
    I, for one, happen to think falconry is pretty cool. I mean......as long as the falcon is happy!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Uh, I know quite a bit about falconry, and the fact that you equate fledglings and passage birds is kind of a flag for me. Becoming a master falconer and earning the privilege of flying long wings is a big deal. Not the sort of thing one would be questing for on a general Internet forum. Anyone who has apprenticed long enough to gain a falconer's license should be plugged in to the community at least to the point that they're not ignorant as to where an eyas can be taken from an aerie . Raided is a perfectly appropriate term. Don't be silly.
    Flying a gyr is an honor and the greatest achievement of the falconer's craft, not something to be treated like an Internet commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    So...pray tell, why the secrecy? What's the big deal?
    Dave expressed the big deal eloquently. No need for me to rehash his words. Let's just say I learned long ago that loose lips sink ships. If you disagree, go on out and make your own discoveries and blab them. The results are on your head, not mine.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Sorry Dave if you feel the way you do. I could have used all the correct falconry lingo, I used terms most peoples understand. As far as being part of the falconry click, I am. this request on this public forum is just to see if there were any other nesting areas (sorry aerie's) that I do not know about. I did not want to "raid" a popular aeire again.

As far as the comment about "intent commodity" do a few searches. time to come off your high mountain Dave. I'm just an Alaskan enjoying falconry and looking for new areas. the 40 or 50 falconers in the State don't know where every aeire is.

I'm studying to pass my falconry test. I can't help you with your question, other than "the arctic." but I have seen this website for a breeder. http://www.mosquitonet.com/~akfalconer/

Also, this article might help you: https://www.hcn.org/issues/42.19/the-windhover

good luck in your search, and I would suggest an Alaska falconry forum would be cool for this site.