Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself

Default Introducing myself

How's it going everyone? I moved to anchorage in Sept. (2015) after my time in the Army. Im originally from southern California and most of my fishing experience is rainbow trout and catfish. Since moving here I have learned that fishing is completely different than what I'm use to.

I went to ship creek for my first time on weds. with no luck but tried to learn as much from the other anglers. My gear isn't exactly what I'd like it to be for out here, but that will take time purchasing a little here and there. Is there anyone willing to teach me the ropes of fishing in Alaska? I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I'd appreciate any pointers and tips you all can cast my way.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Welcome king, in regards to learning the ropes, this forum is a great place for someone starting out to gain knowledge. The other suggestion i would mention is your local fishing store. They are there to help you. Big box stores as well, but its good practice to support the small guys as well. Good luck, by october youll never be the same like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kings909 View Post
    How's it going everyone? I moved to anchorage in Sept. (2015) after my time in the Army. Im originally from southern California and most of my fishing experience is rainbow trout and catfish. Since moving here I have learned that fishing is completely different than what I'm use to.

I went to ship creek for my first time on weds. with no luck but tried to learn as much from the other anglers. My gear isn't exactly what I'd like it to be for out here, but that will take time purchasing a little here and there. Is there anyone willing to teach me the ropes of fishing in Alaska? I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I'd appreciate any pointers and tips you all can cast my way.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    Hey Kevin, I'm from Orange County. Tried sending you a message, but you don't have it enabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey gone,

Ya it says I have to have more posts until its enabled. Did you move here from the OC?

JNCT,
    Thanks, I have been talking with as many people that will talk to me. I haven't been to any small stores yet, any you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jnct View Post
    Welcome king, in regards to learning the ropes, this forum is a great place for someone starting out to gain knowledge. The other suggestion i would mention is your local fishing store. They are there to help you. Big box stores as well, but its good practice to support the small guys as well. Good luck, by october youll never be the same like the rest of us.

Kings... If your in the Valley, stop in and talk to Mike at 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle... wealth of knowledge there

Hey gone,

Ya it says I have to have more posts until its enabled. Did you move here from the OC?
    Ah bummer. Yes I moved here from OC

Watch this for how to setup for Ship Creek

https://youtu.be/-99uECgY58A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey King, yup BJ'S and Mountain View fly store are the 2 that i"ll typically go to. Kid in a candy store i tell you, never gets old. Get ready its going to be fast and furious. By fall youll be in a daze like what just happened. Soak it all in. Also medium size ugly stick, 10 to 25lb test. Small med and large spinners. Treble (sometimes single)Eggs under a bother in a bait allowed area. Should rack up alot of fish. Kings, pinks, chums n silvers. Reds are a little more tricky. Also dont forget small spinners for dollies, grayling. I imagine youll find yourself standing in stream with hundreds of salmon before the season is up. Most likely pinks, but still stunning for the first timer. Remeber to read n follow the regs. Most everyone take it seriously n rightfully so. Go get em brother!

Thanks for the info everyone. I will use all of your recommendations. I hope to run across some of you on the water some day, and will post my first catch here.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will use all of your recommendations. I hope to run across some of you on the water some day, and will post my first catch here.
    Welcome! Hey you're lucky....the way CA. gets bad mouthed around here so much I'm surprised anybody has answered you at all...!!! Cali boy here too. Moved up from Lake Tahoe 33 years ago now. First thing I did a couple days after I got here was catch a 60 lb. king out of the Kenai. But those were the days when that wasn't even considered a real big one. I had, and lost, 3 before that, that I couldn't even get up off the bottom. 70-80 pounders used to get caught regularly back then. Awhile after that I was actually fishing the same day, and same part of the river that the world record was caught. I always wonder if that fish saw my bait.....lol. I haven't fished that river for Kings now in over 10 years.

You'll have to make it down here and get into the late run sockeye fishery. Notice I didn't say the Russian. Reason being is that I try very hard not to combat fish anymore....but that's your choice. Actually have never fished the Russian and don't ever plan to. I've fished the surrounding area though quite a bit. But the late run reds are a lot bigger and a real blast to catch. This year the pinks will be slammin' your fly too and that makes for a lot of action.

I went for many years without getting a fly rod. A fellow hunting guide finally talked me into it to fish kings on the Kasilof. Once I did I was hooked. So that's something you might want to consider if you haven't already. Really nothing like a 20-40 lb. king on a fly rod.

Anyway, just try and pay attention to what most everybody else is doing, (except the Kenai rip a lip which is short for snagging reds) and you'll be havein' a blast in no time.

Good luck and have fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Buy a fly rod and let things just happen. Pinks in Hope. Get out of anchorage and head south, and other directions. I'm mostly familiar with The Kenai Penn in your area. Amazing place. Check out floating the upper with a guide, in late summer of fall. Read up on crescent lake, upper and lower paradise lake, etc. some hike in, some will be short flight with scenic mountain air in moose pass. Get in touch with Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground or similar name/site. Great guy and has campground in Sterling, rents rafts, drift boats, canoes for canoe trail. You should become good friends with Max this summer. That's my advice. And always post as many pictures here as you do questions. That should be a forum rule. Hah.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

4merguide, I started fly fishing in bishop about 10 years ago, I finally got myself a nice set up, then I left for the army 3 months later and have never gotten the chance to use it. Its a 5wt and I'm told that is way to light to fish with out here. what are your opinions on that?

4merguide, I started fly fishing in bishop about 10 years ago, I finally got myself a nice set up, then I left for the army 3 months later and have never gotten the chance to use it. Its a 5wt and I'm told that is way to light to fish with out here. what are your opinions on that?
    Love the Bishop and Bridgeport area....beautiful country! Did you ever fish the Ownes?

Yes, the 5wt is way too light for kings or most any salmon, unless you've got all kinds of room to play them....which you're likely not to have....lol. But keep it for trout and grayling. I fish an 8wt, for Kasilof kings and Kenai reds, and that's just about as light as you'd want to go. On the other hand I really do love to fish silvers on light gear in some of the tributaries where current isn't a big factor....all kinds o' fun...!!!

danattherock Thanks for the advice. hopefully I can make down that way a few times this summer.

I did get to fish the owens. Mainly in Bishop and a little further south. I caught a 5lber out of there on fresh eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Love the Bishop and Bridgeport area....beautiful country! Did you ever fish the Ownes?

Yes, the 5wt is way too light for kings or most any salmon, unless you've got all kinds of room to play them....which you're likely not to have....lol. But keep it for trout and grayling. I fish an 8wt, for Kasilof kings and Kenai reds, and that's just about as light as you'd want to go. On the other hand I really do love to fish silvers on light gear in some of the tributaries where current isn't a big factor....all kinds o' fun...!!!

Kings909, thank you for your service & welcome to Alaska
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

You'll have to make it down here and get into the late run sockeye fishery. Notice I didn't say the Russian. Reason being is that I try very hard not to combat fish anymore....but that's your choice. Actually have never fished the Russian and don't ever plan to. !
    I've had countless peaceful fishing experiences on the Russian where I can't see the nearest fisherman in either direction. Don't buy the myth that fishing the Russian needs to mean combat fishing. Of course it can be crazy crowded with shoulder-to-shoulder fishermen, but the same holds true on the Kenai, Kasilof, etc. On each of these rivers there are crowded areas and peaceful areas. Seek out solitude - it is there in spades on most rivers. Personally, I never go a year without fishing the Russian. On a quiet stretch of river there are few places that I enjoy sight fishing so much.

Opening day (the day when the crowds are always "terrible"):

Late season:

I will keep that in mind. That's a nice fish there. I was told my mom found my old 7 wt and is shipping it to me. do you think that will be enough? For an all around fly rod. I know I will have a ton of questions about flies and such but I'll direct those in the fly fishing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've had countless peaceful fishing experiences on the Russian where I can't see the nearest fisherman in either direction. Don't buy the myth that fishing the Russian needs to mean combat fishing. Of course it can be crazy crowded with shoulder-to-shoulder fishermen, but the same holds true on the Kenai, Kasilof, etc. On each of these rivers there are crowded areas and peaceful areas. Seek out solitude - it is there in spades on most rivers. Personally, I never go a year without fishing the Russian. On a quiet stretch of river there are few places that I enjoy sight fishing so much.

Opening day (the day when the crowds are always "terrible"):

Late season:
    That's fine Brian, and I'm glad you like it. That whole area is just not my cup of tea. Like I've said though, I do enjoy fishing the areas around there where you aren't actually in the sanctuary....

That's fine Brian, and I'm glad you like it. That whole area is just not my cup of tea. Like I've said though, I do enjoy fishing the areas around there where you aren't actually in the sanctuary....
    But you haven't fished it, so how do you know? I'm not talking about the sanctuary. A few miles upstream the crowds are sparse (other than a few well-known holes), the water gin-clear, and the setting among the prettiest on the Kenai Peninsula. You should give it a try sometime, especially later in the season. It's a pretty spectacular river. I haven't fished the sanctuary in 15+ years, but still love my solitude on the Russian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast