Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Out of Business...

Default Going Out of Business...

I guess I can announce this here. It involves a very well known and prominent gunshop here in Fairbanks. If you have been in this area for any time at all and are interested in guns you have been in this shop.

I'm posting this because there are some very good bargains to be had and one of the owners wants to be done with it by the end of the month. There are several long guns, CZs, Kimber Montanas, Remingtons, Rugers rifles and revolvers and other handguns. Plus truck loads of factory ammo and components. There is a good stock of powder left at the best prices in a decade.

Visit Down Under Guns soon save some money.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Do you know what their hours are?

-Eric

I wonder if they have a CZ 550 FS chambered in 9.3x62. Been wanting one of those for a while now.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Do they have anything chambered in 325 WSM?

I'm sorry to hear of the loss to Fairbanks. I've browsed around the place quite a few times over the years with my son, and we always had a good time looking and talking. The prices weren't always the greatest deal in town, but I like to support the local guy...to a point. When local gun shops close I think we lose out a bit.

Doc

Sad news,
    Back when I lived in that area I spent more than a few bucks there.

The small locally owned gunshop is a real piece of Americana, even more so a part of Alaska,, much appreciated by those of us who have been here since Ike was president.

I can't think of a good excuse to fly up there other than deal hunting..I would not mind stumbling into another good 375HH or a descent 1903A3. Not that I really need one...It's the voices in my head...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Do they have anything chambered in 325 WSM?
    There is/was at least two. One Kimber Montana. The CZ 9.3's are gone last one left monday. Nice CZ 375 carbine plus a Safari grade or two. 404, 505, etc. Ruger f/s ?caliber. They had a good supply of everything.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-10-2007 at 22:28.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Do you know what their hours are?

-Eric
    10 AM to 7 PM.

Sad to see them go. When I went to UAF, I used to go to Down Under every chance I got.

Dont go into that store much for reasons that probably have something to do with them going ut of business but, I went in today and even with the so called 10% off sale pricing it put their prices about equal with the other stores in town. I didn't see a good deal to be had even with the sale, which is what I figured. Funny how lots of us could see this one coming with WalMart and Sportsmans in town.

Default part of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Dont go into that store much for reasons that probably have something to do with them going ut of business but, I went in today and even with the so called 10% off sale pricing it put their prices about equal with the other stores in town. I didn't see a good deal to be had even with the sale, which is what I figured. Funny how lots of us could see this one coming with WalMart and Sportsmans in town.
    What kind of service do you get from Walmart and Sportsmans? There is something to be said for supporting local business....although I guess if you like Fairbanks looking like any Outside town it doesn't matter.

I dont even want this post to turn into a pissing match on the rep of Guns Down Under, but I'll say this, theres lots of local businesses in this town that I am fond of, they aint one of them. Theres more to selling stuff than just ringing up the item and having an exchange of funds, them folks in there lost my business not because of high prices but their attitudes. I walked into Frontier Outfitters (AKA Sentry Hardware) today and bought $170 worth of ammo that would only cost $145 at Sportsmans but they treat you better there than at GDU. Nuff said. Just didn't want folks running down there thinking there were great deals to be had.

Walk-in , you dont know the half of my history and that of friends with GDU, dont misjudge my statements for being a wal-mart slave, that I am not.

Talking

Good !!!!!

Frontier Outfitters/Sentry.

Yup, the last 2 guns I bought I bought from them after visting all the other guys. They treated me like they wanted me to be thier customer.

Hey Cub, lets go shoot some of that ammo!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default When Carl was alive

Guns Down Under was a different place. Seemed happier, livelier. I remember going in one day and he was grousing about something so I asked what was up?
    Here is the lesson folks. He was upset by all the people from various groups that came in asking for donations, but never spent a penny in his store. In fact he knew they were buying their goods elsewhere. Gulp.
    I was/am a member of several of those groups, though was not one of the people asking for freebies for fundraisers. I could see his point right away.
    So I made a decision. Shortly afterward I went in looking for a new shotgun. After weeks of visiting Carl and fondling shotguns, I chose an 11-87SP. I knew I could get it cheaper through FFL friends but I realized doing so would not be a good choice in the long run. Carl was genuinely glad for the business. He looked at the price marked on the tag, discounted it, and had me buy a new soft case too.
    Since he died the flavor in the store changed, and for personal reasons I chose not to continue doing business there. I am saddened for all my friends who continued to get good service and will lose a favorite small business to support.
    Don't forget that there are several small "mom/pop" places still in FAI, including Frontier Outfitters. It was McCumby and Gavora that started youth football about 40 years ago in FAI, so am still partial to those memories and to doing business in that store. Personally I like going in Sportsmans for the socializing, but I try not to spend money in a place that has not put anything back into the community.

There is one new CZ 375 carbine and one new Kimber Montana 325 WSM left in the store. Oh, yeah, a few other guns also but if you are interested in anything, you better hurry. There are no premium bullets left in the store. No Barnes, no Swift , no Nolser, no Kodiak. There is also no more Speer or Hornady, just Sierra and they are going fast. I bought a lot of bullets of for less than 1/4 of retail price. Powder can be bought for $10 a pound. This would be a good time to stock up, even if you don't reload now, you may need it in the future. This icon of Fairbanks small business is about to become part of history.

At times like this I wish my wife had a better job....I need more money.

Default murphy, what about reloaders?

I am a wanna be reloader. Do they have any kits or complete systems? For now I would start with 06, 10mm, 9mm, 44, 444.
    Used to reload shotshells so am not completely in the dark, just a little dim.

Default service

I don't mean to hijack the thread, so I'll just say that I've never been anything but satisfied with the way I was treated in there. They've always had time to talk, been helpful, and many times I've walked out of there paying less for something than what was on the price tag. If others have had different experiences, that is unfortunate. For myself, I'm sorry to see them go.

****..........I hate to hear that.
    Now what ?

I would guess that it's about 50/50 for D.O.G's in regards to positive/negative experience. That's the jist of the feedback I've gotten over the years from friends. I've been in there several times and was treated like someone that was wasting their time. For this reason alone, I never bought from them. Yes they are local, but their prices were higher than giraffe nuts. On more than one occasion, I've found several guns priced above MSRP. If you had a hook-up with them, then you could do better on the price.

They were great for going there to put "hands-on" a specific gun.

I would whole-heartedly recommend Frontier Outfitters. I bought a Ruger SRH 44 off of them. They were the cheapest in town (even beating the Wainwright PX and Eielson BX). This was a surprise to me. The salesman was very polite, patient, and courteous. He let me handle many sidearms and didn't once act like I was taking up his time. For this reason alone, I would have bought off of them (even if they had been higher).

This has been my experience. I'm sure others have had different. I'm sorry to see them go, for those folks that had a good relationship with them.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast