Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina River

Default Klutina River

Anyone fishing for reds on the klutina yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Anyone fishing for reds on the klutina yet?

News is they are in

Release Lake Trout

Sweet. I've been hoping since the reds are in the cooper just a didn't know if they got there yet

Few and far between. Another week my guess.

I drove past last night. About 20-30 guys fishing. I have seen pics of fish drying from fish wheels also form Uncle Tom's Cabin. There was also dip net traffic on the road; netters and jet boaters.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Numbers are still building from what I understand, but a few fish are available. Sonar numbers are initially down from the past couple years and pictures I've seen from the CGs look like small fish thus far. I had my truck packed and ready to go from North Pole for an overnighter but changed my mind at the last minute, electing to hold off for one more week until the density increases and I have a 4-day weekend and my travel trailer!

Gonna hit it Thursday or Monday... Sure it will be hopping this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Sonar numbers are initially down from the past couple years and pictures I've seen from the CGs look like small fish thus far.
    http://www.alaskajournal.com/2016-05...r#.V1OuI1dE_bp
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

20160603_155052_resized.jpg20160603_220039_resized.jpg

Buddy and I pulled an easy limit Friday night and saturday morning.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    20160603_155052_resized.jpg20160603_220039_resized.jpg

Buddy and I pulled an easy limit Friday night and saturday morning.
    That's awesome. Headed down next Sunday.

Any news lately. Thinking of going this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    Any news lately. Thinking of going this weekend...
    fishing was pretty slow this last weekend, lots of groups with only 1 fish, or no fish! Key was to keep you line in the water as much as possible. I think you could get a limit if you fished hard (I went down with my wife who didn't want to fish hard!) things could be different this weekend though I would bet fishing should be pretty good.

Slow fishing for most. Not a lot of fish in the river as compared to the last few years, which spoiled us. There are fish to be had but an angler will put in many hours for them.

Anybody know why the estimates/goals for escapement this year are so much lower than last?

Went down last Thursday, fished about an hour and got my limit. Whole day Friday, nothing until a 20 minute burst where I hooked 5 and landed 2. Then nothing until Saturday evening when I hooked 3 and landed 1. Nothing the rest of the time. I fished hard.

Pretty disappointing.

I believe ADF&G has an escapement goal of 350,000 - 750,000 reds for the Copper River, or numbers close to that. The minimum number has already been met. Also this run was forecast to be more of a "normal" run if memory serves, something like the 10th or 11th largest. We did get spoiled the past few years! lol My understanding is the commercial fleet was cut loose on em early this year, part of the reason we're not seeing as many fish.

Your experience mirrors mine.....very long periods of inactivity followed by short, intense bursts as schools moved through. One limit, and 2,2,1 over four days. We should consider ourselves fortunate, for many people, even some seasoned Klutina vets, left empty-handed with skunks still on their backs.

Another thing, and FWIW, keep in mind that the Klutina is a sports fishery. I like limits of delicious reds as much as the next guy but am just happy to be away from work and on the river! It's the peace that I need after these interior winters, a peace that even my wife patiently understands! lol

Spent a couple days camping and fishing. Didn't fish hard and only got one fish - girlfriend caught it. Had 2 hookups and lost them both. Not a very productive weekend, but very relaxing being away from work. I would have loved to limit out, but I guess it wasn't my turn...

Didn't see much on stringers and the people I talked to were having about the same luck. A few that made the trek to the mouth had some luck but they said they had to fish hard. They said fish would come in spurts.

After having some decent success the week prior I took my boys down on a suicide run this past Friday night. We arrived at our favorite spot at 11:00 PM and thrashed the water until 4:30 AM. Not a single fish to show for our efforts and just one lost fish. It was a disaster and the first ever skunk the Klut has ever thrown on me! Everybody we talked to was having the same luck, even those coming back up from the mouth. It's just a really, really tough year.

Even so, my vacation starts tomorrow and I'll be back down for a week straight. I really hope things change, if even just a little bit.

Saturday was brutal, not a single hook up for us, didn't see one person hook up either. Even the seagulls looked like they were saying screw this and left.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I am seeing a number of disgruntled Kultina fishermen coming up to the Gulkana and grabbing a raft. We are landing Reds although it is slow. 2 days ago we had 6 on the cutting table. Was surprised to see the size though. About 1/2 of the fish were under 5 pounds what I would guess as mature fish returning early. Our fishing groups are finding better fishing in the Poplar Grove to Sailors Pit section. Almost no pressure, low water and good holes.

Pick up one of our one man Fish Cat and put in at Poplar!

Walt
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

We crushed em again this saturday. It took about 3 to 4 hours of poking around and moving. Found a hole they were stacked in. 5 cast limit for me. Maybe 10 for my buddy. about and hour of fishing and we had 3 guys limits on the rocks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast