Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai opens to C&R kings tomorrow

Default Kenai opens to C&R kings tomorrow

It's official...

June 03, 2016
    KENAI RIVER OPENS TO CATCH AND RELEASE FISHING FOR KING SALMON JUNE 4

Sport fishing for king salmon in the Kenai River from its mouth up to an Alaska Department of Fish and Game regulatory marker at the outlet of Skilak Lake will be open Saturday, June 4 through Thursday, June 30. Anglers cannot retain king salmon of any size (catch-and-release only) and can fish for king salmon using only one, unbaited, barbless, single-hook, artificial fly or lure. Any king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately. From Friday, July 1 through Sunday, July 31, fishing but not harvest of king salmon will be open in the Kenai River from an ADF&G regulatory marker located approximately 300 yards downstream of Slikok Creek, upstream to the ADF&G marker at the outlet of Skilak Lake.

The Kenai River king salmon management plan requires the use of barbless hooks when sport fishing for king salmon is limited to catch-and-release. A barbless hook is a hook manufactured without a barb, or a hook with a barb that has been removed or compressed so the barb is in complete contact with the shaft of the hook.

“We’re seeing stronger numbers of early-run kings returning to the Kenai,” Robert Begich, the Area Management Biologist in Soldotna, said. “This has allowed us to ease pre-season restrictions, and provide opportunity for anglers to fish for early-run king salmon.”

Anglers are reminded that from Friday, July 1 through Sunday, July 31, retention of king salmon will be allowed from the mouth of the Kenai River upstream to the ADF&G regulatory marker approximately 300 yards downstream of Slikok Creek. The department will decide later this month whether or not the use of bait will be allowed at the beginning of the late-run king salmon fishery.

The 2016 preseason forecast for early-run Kenai River king salmon was for a total run of approximately 5,200 fish. As of June 1, the total estimated passage of early-run Kenai River king salmon at the river mile 14 sonar was 2,375 fish. Run timing models for early-run Kenai River king salmon are indicating a run that is likely returning earlier than observed historically and is projected to be larger than the forecast and within the Optimal Escapement Goal (OEG). The OEG for early-run Kenai River king salmon is 5,300 to 9,000 king salmon. Based on the inseason assessment, catch & release sport fishing opportunity can be afforded without jeopardizing achievement of the OEG. The department will continue to assess the run and additional actions may be forthcoming.

For more information, contact Robert Begich or Jason Pawluk at 907-262-9368.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Guess it's time to start rigging some Spin-N-Glo's with barbless circles.... ala Kenai hangback amputee

Hangback circles? YEAH, baby... it's what all the COOL kids are doin', don'cha know.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

I have been having great luck running 5/0 circles this season for kings. Im a convert now! Not one gut hooked fish this season on them and still a good hook up ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Guess it's time to start rigging some Spin-N-Glo's with barbless circles.... ala Kenai hangback amputee

Hangback circles? YEAH, baby... it's what all the COOL kids are doin', don'cha know.

Just curious. Are you flossing or fishing with driftbobbers/bait for bonafide biters? Would love to see a pic of your setup and any pics of the actual hookup when the fish is landed.

If it means fewer snagged or gill/gut-hooked kings, it's worth making the change.
    The KeenEye MD

Particularly interested in optimizing the spacing for the ideal hangback amputee for backtrolling or backbouncing with barbless circles. The goal here is to engineer the most fish-friendly hookups to virtually eliminate the risk of mortal bleeders while still being reasonably effective in terms of bite:hookup ratio.

I've got some ideas based on forward trolling with hangback circles, but real-life experience trumps them all.
    The KeenEye MD

Fishing for biters, I never really understood the point of flossing fish that are willing and eager to bite. The rig I have been running is simple, a short 16-24" leader snelled off to a 6/0 gami circle. Use Just barely enough weight to tick bottom. I have been just drift fishing, my next step is to see how it worksunder a float. I have no idea how it would work of q spin n glow type back trolling rig. I feel like the angle might be wrong but I'm going to try it on cohos this year and go from there.
    Particularly interested in optimizing the spacing for the ideal hangback amputee for backtrolling or backbouncing with barbless circles. The goal here is to engineer the most fish-friendly hookups to virtually eliminate the risk of mortal bleeders while still being reasonably effective in terms of bite:hookup ratio.

I've got some ideas based on forward trolling with hangback circles, but real-life experience trumps them all.

The goal here is to engineer the most fish-friendly hookups to virtually eliminate the risk of mortal bleeders while still being reasonably effective in terms of bite.
    Hey I got an idea....how bout we don't hook them at all...???!!!

Sorry guys I just couldn't resist. Understand I'm not poopooing on C&R as a whole, just for these fish. I know it's only my opinion but I believe we should just leave all these fish alone. But you already knew that...

Go have "fun"...........I guess.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hey I got an idea....how bout we don't hook them at all...???!!!

Sorry guys I just couldn't resist. Understand I'm not poopooing on C&R as a whole, just for these fish. I know it's only my opinion but I believe we should just leave all these fish alone. But you already knew that...

Go have "fun"...........I guess.
    I agree 100% 4mer....... I'd like to quote fishin physicians quote"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."

Release Lake Trout

Default Kenai opens to C&R kings tomorrow

I don't think those fish should be harassed at all. I don't understand fighting a fish for 20 minutes to exhaustion just to let it go. There are other options to go catch kings.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Hay what else can you fish for on the Kenai this time of year? Isn’t everything close but King catch & release fishing!!

You can fish for reds on the lower kenai b

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Early Run Kenai River Chinook Inseason Summary for Tue. Jun 7

Chinook salmon run update:

On June 6 the daily estimated passage of total Chinook salmon was 316 fish for a season total passage of 3,658 Chinook salmon of all sizes. Warm spring weather, marine harvest patterns as well as information from other rivers, indicate Chinook salmon stocks in Cook Inlet are again showing early-timing in 2016 and are likely returning to Cook Inlet streams in a similar early-timing pattern that was observed in 2015.

Fishery Update:

Participation and success in the Chinook salmon catch and release fishery that opened at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 4, has been very low.

No further inseason management actions are anticipated at this time.

The next update will be on Friday, June 10.
    The KeenEye MD

Early Run Kenai River Chinook Inseason Summary for Tue. Jun 14

On June 13 the daily estimated passage of total Chinook salmon was 365 fish for a season total passage of 6,080 Chinook salmon of all sizes. For the 3 years data is available about 50% of the run has migrated past the river mile 14 sonar from June 10 to June 14. Warm spring weather, marine harvest patterns as well as information from other rivers, indicate Chinook salmon stocks in Cook Inlet are again showing early-timing in 2016 and are likely returning to Cook Inlet streams in a similar or earlier timing pattern that was observed in 2015. Based on all available information including early-timing patterns, sonar estimates as well as catch rates in the sport fishery and test netting program, the 2016 run is projected to be within the optimum escapement goal (OEG).

The department is reviewing management options to open the Kenai River for some limited harvest of Chinook salmon.

The next update will be on Friday, June 17.
    The KeenEye MD

Early Run Kenai River Chinook Inseason Summary for Tue. Jun 14

On June 13 the daily estimated passage of total Chinook salmon was 365 fish for a season total passage of 6,080 Chinook salmon of all sizes. For the 3 years data is available about 50% of the run has migrated past the river mile 14 sonar from June 10 to June 14. Warm spring weather, marine harvest patterns as well as information from other rivers, indicate Chinook salmon stocks in Cook Inlet are again showing early-timing in 2016 and are likely returning to Cook Inlet streams in a similar or earlier timing pattern that was observed in 2015. Based on all available information including early-timing patterns, sonar estimates as well as catch rates in the sport fishery and test netting program, the 2016 run is projected to be within the optimum escapement goal (OEG).

The department is reviewing management options to open the Kenai River for some limited harvest of Chinook salmon.

The next update will be on Friday, June 17.
    One decent year and they are already talking about allowing harvesting of kings? Man, the ADF&G is dumber than I thought.

What a crock of @#$$. They need to stop managing for the Netters and do some actual resource management.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    One decent year and they are already talking about allowing harvesting of kings? Man, the ADF&G is dumber than I thought.

I would have no problem with them allowing retention of anything under 34".

That would permit virtually the entire "large fish" component to escape the fishery.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    What a crock of @#$$. They need to stop managing for the Netters and do some actual resource management.
    This is a misconception. ADFG does not need to allow harvest or bait inriver for the netters to fish. The paired restrictions only come into play at low run projections, and it sounds like projections are above that level so the fisheries are somewhat independent with the netters being managed under the sockeye plans primarily. ADFG can act out of an abundance of caution or think outside the box (plan) in one of these fisheries when they see fit without affecting the way they HAVE to manage the other. I believe some netters learned that in court not long ago.

I heard that water conditions are pretty good and success has improved markedly.

That would permit virtually the entire "large fish" component to escape the fishery.
    I like this idea, but would add that it would only be open to retention below the lower Slikok boundary. I've talked to a lot of people who were very disappointed that they opened the catch and release fishery all the way to Skilak. One of the best ways to ensure a Kenai King fishery for the future would be to permanently ban king fishing above the Soldotna bridge . Now would be a great time to get the ball rolling.

That would permit virtually the entire "large fish" component to escape the fishery, .
    I inquired about something like this a week ago and was told that the department did not have the tools to EO this type of step up or step down approach into the fishery. Heck, I believe that it should of went rentention under 28 inches ( Kenai first run you do not have to log a king under 28 inches) when the EO for c&r came out. Time to start culling out some of the small fish.

The pre season forecast is obviously way off, the half way point of the run has arrived and clearly the run is going to be at, over, or near the top of the goal. Yet, the in-river sport fishery is in a total catch and release mode.

I am extremely disappointed with the way ADF&G has managed this run. If they do not have the tools to manage by thinking outside the box they should of submitted a house keeping proposal to be able to do so.

Aches.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    This is a misconception. ADFG does not need to allow harvest or bait inriver for the netters to fish. The paired restrictions only come into play at low run projections, and it sounds like projections are above that level so the fisheries are somewhat independent with the netters being managed under the sockeye plans primarily. ADFG can act out of an abundance of caution or think outside the box (plan) in one of these fisheries when they see fit without affecting the way they HAVE to manage the other. I believe some netters learned that in court not long ago.

I heard that water conditions are pretty good and success has improved markedly.
    Perfect. Based on this logic lets start out the commercial fishery with all their hours and days.

Then let's allow the PU fishery to retain kings and the sport fishery to start off with bait.

The entire fishery (ALL USER GROUPS) will be restricted or closed about the time the bulk of the sockeye start to arrive on the beaches.

Is is this really want you want?

Why wouldn't all user groups ease into the season and fish when the fish are there based on this forecast?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast