Thread: DPH-D1 modified

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default DPH-D1 modified

Just put 37hrs on my new drive and changed oil, Pawl says I change "breakin" oil at 50hrs, I did it at 37. Out fit out of San Diego area tweeks these new drives and has me filling them with RedLine, we will see, oh and it has a magnetic inspection fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

What are they tweeking ?? All my 290's had the mag plugs.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Something for better flow? The redline is pretty thin. Kozwel boat works out of SanDiego, couldnt find lesser priced drives, plus they rebuild them. Transportation is always an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What are they tweeking ?? All my 290's had the mag plugs.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'd have the guy who lives in Eagle River up on Skyline Dr.,
    He's probably the best around
    What's his name pot builder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

[QUOTE=akmike30;1542620]I'd have the guy who lives in Eagle River up on Skyline Dr.,
    He's probably the best around
    What's his name pot builder

Thats my good friend Dwayne, the ONLY human that should touch a duoprop drive ! I've mentioned him on here many times but i think most guys think i'm BS'ing about him, but the guys that have had him work on their drives know different.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

What is Dwayne's contact info?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    What is Dwayne's contact info?

sent ya a pm.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks potbuilder for the contact. I don't need him right now, My DP has 730 hours on so I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    Thanks potbuilder for the contact. I don't need him right now, My DP has 730 hours on so I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it but you never know
    pull it off this fall and let D check it out for ya. I'd be looking at new u joints soon. I used to change mine every 1000 hours(every other year). Shift cone may need looking at if the unit doesn't "clunk" when going into gear. Older cones were bronze and had way more problems than the newer style steel cones that last a long time.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey there KodiakCombo,

What else is modified on your DPH-D besides using redline gear lube? BTW, which kind of Redline are you using? What is your boat weight, gear ratio, prop number, cruise speed@Xrpms, and fuel burn in gph/lph? Did Pawel talk you into putting a temperature sender on the top bearings or a drive shower?

Just curious as it appears that I have just negotiated for a fourth-gen DPH-D to replace the first gen A. Nothing wrong with the DPH-A except that it has 860hrs on it. Steve keeps railing on about how we're all gonna blow up our drives and I took this opportunity to mount a DPH-D at a dramatically decreased price.

Cheers,

Iceking02

14,500 probably more 15-16 is the weight 1:63 gear ratio, G2 prop, 18-21knots 2750-3000 rpm, 12-14 gals per hour, I had a temp gauge prior to meeting pawl. Also had shower after temp gauge. Notice a 35 degree temp drop after shower, more important was RPM below 3000 kept drive temp down below 200degrees. I now have the Dph-d1
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Hey there KodiakCombo,

What else is modified on your DPH-D besides using redline gear lube? BTW, which kind of Redline are you using? What is your boat weight, gear ratio, prop number, cruise speed@Xrpms, and fuel burn in gph/lph? Did Pawel talk you into putting a temperature sender on the top bearings or a drive shower?

Just curious as it appears that I have just negotiated for a fourth-gen DPH-D to replace the first gen A. Nothing wrong with the DPH-A except that it has 860hrs on it. Steve keeps railing on about how we're all gonna blow up our drives and I took this opportunity to mount a DPH-D at a dramatically decreased price.

Cheers,

Iceking02
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Hey there K.C.

Thanks for the info. I'm down around 9,500lbs wet and have the exact same drive on the way. Switching from 1.76:1 to the 1.63:1 drive ratio and will trail G5 props as we get 3550+ with current final ratio.
    Which drive shower are you using? Which brand temp sender?
    Thanks in advance!

IceKing02

Gear-smart.com for drive temp and Islands Marine center on Lopez island.

Hey there K.C.

Thanks for the info. I'm down around 9,500lbs wet and have the exact same drive on the way. Switching from 1.76:1 to the 1.63:1 drive ratio and will trail G5 props as we get 3550+ with current final ratio.
    Which drive shower are you using? Which brand temp sender?
    Thanks in advance!

IceKing02
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Thanks! I'll check them out. I was contemplating what you'd said about temp vs. rpms and wonder whether or not this represents an engine loading issue more than loading the outdrive. If one has an EGT sensor in addition to top bearing sensor that would reveal whether or not you've just found the max load of the engine and now you're spewing too much hot exhaust gas into the outdrive or whether the egt continues to follow a more linear pathway and we're observing the limitations of the cooling ability of the outdrive system. In any case we need more data monitoring on these systems to get the most out of them and to keep them from blowing up...maybe a bigger intercooler, better intake system, less restrictive exhaust. There's gotta be a good time ahead in exploring these issues.

Cheers!

run the exhaust out the transom and add a pyrometer to the exhaust elbow, this ain't the 1st time i've said this. You guys are all still trying to get what isn't available out of those little engines, all you do is make heat and wear the poop out of something trying to get what you want, it ain't there. You need torque & horsepower at low rpm's ! you have neither.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve,

I'm looking at the power output curves for the D6-310 that I have in the War Horse. I guess that I am not sure about your expectations of torque versus those that V-P owners should have for a 1400lb, 5.5Liter turbocharged engine. Seems pretty good to me that I can get 440ft-lbs @ 1600rpms, 550ft-lbs @ 2000rpms, and keep 527ft-lbs torque at cruise 2900-3000rpms. That's a lotta twist at the props, isn't it? I'd have to hang two 225-250hp outboards or three Evinrude 150 E-tecs on the back for equivalent torque. And I have the mini-me version of the D6 series. There are guys running the D6-370 who are getting 625ft-lb of torque @ 2000rpms. Again, that is a LOTTA twist!

I'm not at all against MORE POWER...well, until I start breaking *****.

Yes, I'm looking for the correct pyrometer and it is my understanding as of last night that the newer VPs all have them preinstalled...maybe we'll catch up to your way of thinking yet!

Cheers!

Bob

Steve,

I'm looking at the power output curves for the D6-310 that I have in the War Horse. I guess that I am not sure about your expectations of torque versus those that V-P owners should have for a 1400lb, 5.5Liter turbocharged engine. Seems pretty good to me that I can get 440ft-lbs @ 1600rpms, 550ft-lbs @ 2000rpms, and keep 527ft-lbs torque at cruise 2900-3000rpms. That's a lotta twist at the props, isn't it? I'd have to hang two 225-250hp outboards or three Evinrude 150 E-tecs on the back for equivalent torque. And I have the mini-me version of the D6 series. There are guys running the D6-370 who are getting 625ft-lb of torque @ 2000rpms. Again, that is a LOTTA twist!

I'm not at all against MORE POWER...well, until I start breaking *****.

Yes, I'm looking for the correct pyrometer and it is my understanding as of last night that the newer VPs all have them preinstalled...maybe we'll catch up to your way of thinking yet!

Cheers!

Bob
    Chocolate and vanilla my friend !! A friend of mine has the D6 310 in his bowpicker and its been good to him, think he has close to 5000 hours on it. I thought you had a 41 or 42 series in your boat ? The D series is a different animal than those other little engines.
    Your engine should have a tapped plugged port somewhere for the pyro probe. All i did on my 41 was get a spacer/donut made that went between the turbo and the exhaust elbow so probe was just upstream from where the water shower is injected into the elbow for cooling it. The probe and gauge i had was made by Isspro. Check out and or contact Tony at http://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-marine-pyro-gauge-kit/ guy knows his stuff. Here's another place to look http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-p...rine-series-dp.
    My John Deere 6068 rated at 300hp @2600rpm,
    at 1600rpm's puts out 650lbs and at my cruise of 2000rpm's 741lbs and thats spinning a 24x26 4 blade wheel, i burn aprox 8gal/hr at cruise(16knots).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey, thanks for the links Steve! Much appreciated as always. HOPEfully KodiakCombo and I can keep both our D6's and our DPH-Ds running for the next 5000+hrs as well. DANG! At 200hrs/year that'll give me DECADES of service!

Hey, thanks for the links Steve! Much appreciated as always. HOPEfully KodiakCombo and I can keep both our D6's and our DPH-Ds running for the next 5000+hrs as well. DANG! At 200hrs/year that'll give me DECADES of service!
    a pyro will open your eyes to whats really happening with the engine. Keep running at under 3k rpms and i'd bet you'll get good life out of the motor but the drives are another story. Wait till you go to get new u joints in that drive, just a mere 800 bucks a set from what my buddy told me !! you have to buy the whole unit not just new u joints. I used to change mine every other year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692