Thread: Willow Cr. log jams?

Default Willow Cr. log jams?

Planning on floating Willow Cr and just wondering if there are any other long jams or tree problems besides the normal log jam by the powerline?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Planning on floating Willow Cr and just wondering if there are any other long jams or tree problems besides the normal log jam by the powerline?
    Thanks
    Are you talking about the Upper Willow, Middle Willow, or Lower Willow? Big difference between the sections. Lower is usually free from any major obstacles. The middle can be congested with numerous log jams, sweepers and debris. The upper has some fast whitewater and is not recommended for travel for most user groups. What type of watercraft are you taking? That can make a big difference as well. I regularly take my 14 foot otter on the lower willow, but have only done the middle with my raft on a couple occasions when I had enough help and man power to portage around the bad stuff. But the middle is a very nice run if you have a one man cataraft or something similar that can be carried by one person.

Good point, was in a rush and forgot to give all the facts. Looking to take my 13' super puma down the middle,from Shirley town Rd. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Good point, was in a rush and forgot to give all the facts. Looking to take my 13' super puma down the middle,from Shirley town Rd. Thanks again.
    A couple years ago Shirley town road washed out from a flood. I'm not sure if they got it all fixed yet or not. Probably good to go but not sure. There was another road just before Shirley Town and I can't remember the name of it right now. But it offered good access. There are a few log jams and lots of sweepers from Shirley town down to the Parks. Just be sure to stop ahead of time and scout out your route. I remember there is one spot that is a little before deception creek where the river splits in two and goes around an island. I think you need to go left when you get there, but again scout it out first. There will probably be some trees spanning the whole river so be prepared to either pick up your raft and go over the tree unless the tree is high enough off the water to go underneath it. You might want to bring a chainsaw to be safe. There was a flood a few years ago that destroyed some homes and structures so there is lots of broken glass and plywood with rusty nails sticking out all over the river as well. Especially near the log jams where debris tends to collect. Watch out for those so you don't damage your raft. Good luck.

Bushwhack, I have put in numerous times at Shirley town since the bridge went out, its not an issue.
    Thanks for input