Thread: Weatherby Ultralight in .338-06

Default Weatherby Ultralight in .338-06

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this rifle in this cal.? I've got a hankering for the .338-06 and this rifle came up. Too light to shoot reasonably?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this rifle in this cal.? I've got a hankering for the .338-06 and this rifle came up. Too light to shoot reasonably?
    Its going kick but I still like everything about it. I had a nice petite 98 Mauser in 338-06 and killed a couple pigs with it. I love the round and if I lived up there I would not be with out one. I had an ultralight Weatherby and loved the gun but it was not a 338-06. Had it been I'd still have it.

I really like your thinking on this project. The Weatherby has more drop in the heel of the stock than most lightweight guns and that will help a bunch in taming the felt recoil.

I have CVA Scout single shot in 35 Whelen and it weighs just over 6 lbs with the compact scope. It has a stock which drops about like my Weatherbys and I was surprised at how little felt recoil it had.

I say go for it.

Not too light. My 338-06 is (a Kimber Montana tricked out some) 4 pound 14 oz before optics. It thumps for sure, but I carry it more than I shoot it. Load it up with 250 A frames at 2500 for brown bears. 210 Sciroccos at 2750-2800 fps for everything else. Have only had my 338-06 since beginning of 215 and only taken a moose and caribou with it those far. Its a neat round and something different. Does it do anything a 30-06 won't...in reality likely not. But its something different the slightly more theoretical energy on paper is kinda fun to BS with the 06 around the campfire. But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. But everyone has a 30-06.

Bare rifle:

Caribou shot at 250ish yards with 210 scirocco:

Moose shot at 280ish yards with same bullet (cute little 4 brow tiner )

Being as the weatherby Ultra light is roughly 20% heavier to start out with than my Kimber the recoil should be even that much less I would think.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Its going kick but I still like everything about it. I had a nice petite 98 Mauser in 338-06 and killed a couple pigs with it. I love the round and if I lived up there I would not be with out one. I had an ultralight Weatherby and loved the gun but it was not a 338-06. Had it been I'd still have it.

I really like your thinking on this project. The Weatherby has more drop in the heel of the stock than most lightweight guns and that will help a bunch in taming the felt recoil.

I have CVA Scout single shot in 35 Whelen and it weighs just over 6 lbs with the compact scope. It has a stock which drops about like my Weatherbys and I was surprised at how little felt recoil it had.

I say go for it.
    That sounds good to me.

IMO, the Weatherby stock design, is the mostest--bestest thang that ever happened to a rifle. My Wby is a Mk V in 7mm Weatherby that weighs 10 lbs with scope, sling, and 3 in the magazine.

Most of the few Caribou I've bagged fell to that rifles 1 shot.

I once hefted an Ultra Light in 280, and it was extremely lightweight.

I've had no experience with the 338-06, but it's a cartridge I like.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

AK lanche, good intel, thanks for that. I wasn't necessarily looking for a light weight rifle, as most of my Moose hunting is out of a raft or boat, but I'm selling my .350 RM as it's not stainless and being around water so much, trying to keep it dry gets annoying. Was looking at the .35 Whelan, but the .338 just seems that much better. Ideally I'd get a heavier rifle, but that Weatherby seems pretty nice.
    Smitty, 4 hours ago? Up late or up early?
    thanks for the input gents.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I understand you aren't wanting an ultralight rifle per say. I merely mentioned the weight of my rifle to help show that I find my 338-06 manageable as far as recoil goes. So the rifle you are looking at being 20% heavier should be that much better in terms of recoil.

Smitty, 4 hours ago? Up late or up early?
    thanks for the input gents.
    Probably.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

As a hunting gun and field, it's likely to be pretty ideal. If someone was doing most of their shooting at a benchrest and their hunting (and pecking) on a keyboard, it's not going to be a lot of fun. I went through a phase for lightweight guns, most of them picked up used from benchrester keyboardists who had to have the latest and greatest, but discovered they weren't a lot of fun. Those same guns have proven a treat in the field.... Easy carry, accurate and quick to become a part of your body in the hills.

Buy the gun, sit at the bench long enough to do your load development and sight in, then walk away from the bench and don't look back. You'll be happy all around!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Probably.

Smitty of the North
    Don't know about you Smitty but I absolutely can not sleep more than 5 hours every 24. 6 if I'm real tired. In bed at midnight and up and at em at 5 AM. Some fridays I stay up messing with a gun until 2 or 3 in the morning and my feet stil hit the floor by no later then 7 ever. Many times I hit the hay at 9 PM and then am making coffee for the new day at 3 AM( or drinking a coke). I have to cut or split wood all day if I am going to sleep much over 5 hours at night. I feel refreshed and ready to go with 5 hour and never unless sick take a nap.

Back to the topic on hand.....Murphy who used to live in Fairbanks and was a Mod on this forum is one of the most gun wise people I know. He once said that the only cartridge ever devised off of the parent 30-06 rifle case that was actually better than the 30-06 was the 338-06 and he listed the numbers to prove it. I agree that it is better for what you guys up there use them for and that is the heavier 338 caliber bullets . It will push those big bullets 3-400 fps faster than the 06 can shoot the same weight bullet. I also like the 35 Whelen. In truth I reached 2600 fps with a 250 grain bullet in 338-06 as my top load. Never got 2600 with a 35 Whelen and a 250 grain bullet. However I have now got that super light CVA Scout with a 26 inch barrel and I'm betting I can get 2600 fps with a little slower burning powders than I could use in the 22 inch barrel.

I have been invited to tag along on a buffalo hunt that my son's Colorado crop duster friend is putting together. They say to leave the little guns at home for bufflers. I haven't yet had little gun defined. I want so bad to use my new most favorite rifle...Savage 99 375 Winchester but if they say no and I can't see why they would. Then the light weight 35 Whelen will get the nod. Buffler Bill used a 38-55 to slaughter buffalo( he was no hunter but rather the worst kind of slob ever...another topic) so the 375 should get it done in the hands of someone who is very concious about one shot kills as opposed to shooting 50 and hoping 40 of them fall over so you can take their hide and leave a thousand pounds of excellent meat to rot. I wish old Sitting Bulls youngens would have shoved Buffler Bills rifle somewhere!

The guy that owns the buffalo said that a 338-06 is his prefered round. He also said that he one time let a hunter use his a 44 mag rifle to hunt buff. The hunter was using his now dead dad's gun and doing the hunt in his dad's honor. I was told a 300 hard cast bullet bounced off the buffalo's head. I know what a 300 grain hard cast bullet does to a 3 inch thick piece of oak and that leaves me thinking that the buffler caught one at a glance that didn't have a chance to penetrate. I don't think anything lives if catches a 300 grain hard cast running 1500fps between the eyes.

Don't know about you Smitty but I absolutely can not sleep more than 5 hours every 24. 6 if I'm real tired. In bed at midnight and up and at em at 5 AM. Some fridays I stay up messing with a gun until 2 or 3 in the morning and my feet stil hit the floor by no later then 7 ever. Many times I hit the hay at 9 PM and then am making coffee for the new day at 3 AM( or drinking a coke). I have to cut or split wood all day if I am going to sleep much over 5 hours at night. I feel refreshed and ready to go with 5 hour and never unless sick take a nap.
    You really need to try and change that..... I recently watched an extremely scientific show about sleep and getting enough of it. As most people I'm sure, I had no idea as to what it means. Believe it or not, during the day, while your brain is working hard it actually needs to eliminate a type of waste product during sleep. The less sleep you have the less this waste is eliminated. They have now clear evidence that a repeatedly overall lack of sleep can lead to early signs of dementia. Many people think that they can sleep less during the week because they will make up for it by sleeping in on the weekends. But that's not the case. You can't "catch up" by only a couple extra hours during the weekend. It's not how it works.

Anyway, I know that old habits die hard, and easier said than done. But just thought I would put it out there. I know you really wouldn't think it, but it is of great importance to your overall health in getting enough sleep EVERY night....

Now go take a nap...... lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Back to the topic on hand.....Murphy who used to live in Fairbanks and was a Mod on this forum is one of the most gun wise people I know. He once said that the only cartridge ever devised off of the parent 30-06 rifle case that was actually better than the 30-06 was the 338-06 and he listed the numbers to prove it. I agree that it is better for what you guys up there use them for and that is the heavier 338 caliber bullets . It will push those big bullets 3-400 fps faster than the 06 can shoot the same weight bullet. I also like the 35 Whelen. In truth I reached 2600 fps with a 250 grain bullet in 338-06 as my top load. Never got 2600 with a 35 Whelen and a 250 grain bullet. However I have now got that super light CVA Scout with a 26 inch barrel and I'm betting I can get 2600 fps with a little slower burning powders than I could use in the 22 inch barrel.

I have been invited to tag along on a buffalo hunt that my son's Colorado crop duster friend is putting together. They say to leave the little guns at home for bufflers. I haven't yet had little gun defined. I want so bad to use my new most favorite rifle...Savage 99 375 Winchester but if they say no and I can't see why they would. Then the light weight 35 Whelen will get the nod. Buffler Bill used a 38-55 to slaughter buffalo( he was no hunter but rather the worst kind of slob ever...another topic) so the 375 should get it done in the hands of someone who is very concious about one shot kills as opposed to shooting 50 and hoping 40 of them fall over so you can take their hide and leave a thousand pounds of excellent meat to rot. I wish old Sitting Bulls youngens would have shoved Buffler Bills rifle somewhere!

The guy that owns the buffalo said that a 338-06 is his prefered round. He also said that he one time let a hunter use his a 44 mag rifle to hunt buff. The hunter was using his now dead dad's gun and doing the hunt in his dad's honor. I was told a 300 hard cast bullet bounced off the buffalo's head. I know what a 300 grain hard cast bullet does to a 3 inch thick piece of oak and that leaves me thinking that the buffler caught one at a glance that didn't have a chance to penetrate. I don't think anything lives if catches a 300 grain hard cast running 1500fps between the eyes.
    The best cartridge ever devised off of the parent 30-06 rifle case is clearly the 280 Rem. Think about what velocity can be achieved with a bullet of high SD and BC. 280 --160, 175. 338-06 -- 180, 200. 7mm cal. and 06 case is good match.

You CAN always get more velocity with a larger cal. bullet, same bullet weight, same case capacity, because of the larger cross sectional base. That's not magic.

What's better than the 30-06? Same bullet weight at more velocity, OR a bullet of same SD & BC at less velocity?

To put it another way, why would I choose a 338-06 and use 225 gr. when I could stay with 30-06 and use 220s? I'd probably go with the 250 grain in 338-06. and accept the lower velocity.

I donít see a tremendous advantage of the 338-06 over the 06. I see it as a Special Purpose cartridge that has a bigger shoulder than the 35 Whelen.

Theories aside, I agree with you that the 375 is plenty gun for Bufflers, providing you are within it's range. Besides, I'd trust your judgement over those who think a 300 hard cast bullet bounced off the buffalo's head.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You really need to try and change that..... I recently watched an extremely scientific show about sleep and getting enough of it. As most people I'm sure, I had no idea as to what it means. Believe it or not, during the day, while your brain is working hard it actually needs to eliminate a type of waste product during sleep. The less sleep you have the less this waste is eliminated. They have now clear evidence that a repeatedly overall lack of sleep can lead to early signs of dementia. Many people think that they can sleep less during the week because they will make up for it by sleeping in on the weekends. But that's not the case. You can't "catch up" by only a couple extra hours during the weekend. It's not how it works.

Anyway, I know that old habits die hard, and easier said than done. But just thought I would put it out there. I know you really wouldn't think it, but it is of great importance to your overall health in getting enough sleep EVERY night....

Now go take a nap...... lol
    I went to bed last night at midnight and slept clear to 6:30 this morning. That's about as good as I can do. I spent most of yesterday grubbing out tree stumps with a dozer so I was tired. My grand dad slept no more than 6 hours his whole life and worked extremely hard. Still farmed 400 acres and had 100 head of cattle when he was 83. His blood pressure and cholesterol numbers were off the charts most of his life. He finally retired at 85. Died in his sleep at 93. My dad who is 80 sold 100 cords of firewood last winter. He sleeps 5-6 hrs/day. I sure hope you aren't jinxing me with this staying bed talk. Ha!

I went to bed last night at midnight and slept clear to 6:30 this morning. That's about as good as I can do.
    May be some genetics floating around. I'm a 6-hour sleeper too. So's my bother, so's my mom, and were her parents before her. About every 2 weeks I knock of a couple of 8-hour nights, then it's back to 6. No history of dementia in the family (mom's mom lived to 99 and probably died of boredom). No doubt we're all a little cranky and crazy, though.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard