Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear modifications/ideas

Default Gear modifications/ideas

So i thought it'd be cool if we made a place where guys could share custom modifications that they have done or have made to make their gear better suite their needs.

I'm currently in the brainstorming phase of a way to compress my tent down so that it doesn't take up so much freakin' room. Not sure if I want to make a compression sack or just see how I like kifaru's lengthwise compression bags.

Share your tinkering!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

I use the sea to summit compression sacks. They are lightweight and you can squeeze the hell out of a tent in one. I just bought a new nemo 2 hornet tent as well. Only 2 lbs trail weight. Its slightly smaller than a softball when packed down.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I use a Kifaru compression bag for my sleeping bag and I love it! All of the extra drawstrings on the Kifaru are really helpful
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I build my own rifle slings, one hand adjustable, can be adjusted while shouldered for a tighter sling wrap when shooting. Had to take two full slings apart to get the pieces I needed for the first one, but now it's a simpler process.

Also put strings in the cuffs of all my hunting pants for when I wear rubber boots.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I build my own rifle slings, one hand adjustable, can be adjusted while shouldered for a tighter sling wrap when shooting. Had to take two full slings apart to get the pieces I needed for the first one, but now it's a simpler process.
    Can you elaborate on how you did this, or post a picture? It sounds like a pretty good system and I would like to see how its done.

I was gonna patent it and make my millions....but...since the guys in the forum have been so supportive of my sheep guiding career....lol
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I use a Kifaru compression bag for my sleeping bag and I love it! All of the extra drawstrings on the Kifaru are really helpful
    Could you post a picture of this thing in action? I'm just wondering how small I could make a tent with is or if I need to go the sea to summit route. I have a hilleberg nallo 3 gt if you're familiar with that size.

The Kifaru bags make things long and skinnier. The Sea to Summit makes things into small balls/wads. If you have poles bagged with the tent then long and skinnier will slip into a pack easier and be better at fitting things around.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The Kifaru bags make things long and skinnier. The Sea to Summit makes things into small balls/wads. If you have poles bagged with the tent then long and skinnier will slip into a pack easier and be better at fitting things around.
    See that's my thought process as well, I think the long and skinny compression style would be better for the application of pack ability. I guess I just wanted to see how compressed the kifaru makes things. I guess my concern is how much compression a guy can get out of the kifaru bags before he's torquing down on those straps too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Can you elaborate on how you did this, or post a picture? It sounds like a pretty good system and I would like to see how its done.
    Me too Jake.....I'd like to see what you've got goin on there...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm not home at the moment but I just did a quick Google search of Kifaru compression sack and clicked on images and there are a ton of pics. Sorry that's the best I can do at the moment
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I would show you guys but it's one of my top secrets that helps me get non residents to sheep....haha
    Master guide 212

I would show you guys but it's one of my top secrets that helps me get non residents to sheep....haha
    Dang guides anywho...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Why do you need a rifle sling for that? I thought sheep guides just rode around in the air plane spotting sheep and then locked up the majority of the state from residents. I would think a nice rifle case would be better than a sling for that type of hunting.

Well I can't afford the 125k super cub rifle case, so I just altered my sling. Truth be told I don't even carry a rifle on sheep hunts!
    Master guide 212

Well I can't afford the 125k super cub rifle case, so I just altered my sling.
    LOL

It terms of gear tinkering, this is not my idea, but a really simple, cheap and useful set up found on this site is the "poor man's dry bag" that are made with trash compactor bags enclosed in a woven poly bag. These things have proven to be very useful.

I've been customizing a dana designs external frame to accept Kifaru belt, cargo panel, and pouches. Carried out a decent bull caribou. Ordered one of their lids to adapt next.

I was hoping to rescue this thread, what's anybody got going for custom builds or modifications???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    So i thought it'd be cool if we made a place where guys could share custom modifications that they have done or have made to make their gear better suite their needs.

I'm currently in the brainstorming phase of a way to compress my tent down so that it doesn't take up so much freakin' room. Not sure if I want to make a compression sack or just see how I like kifaru's lengthwise compression bags.

Share your tinkering!

I don't bag my shelter, I pack it last, since it comes out first. I just stuff it into my pack, it helps waterproof other items and fills voids, is easier to find room for since it is not a large blob, like when it is packed into a sack of it's own.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My tent always goes in a outside sleeve never inside the pack. Easy access and don't mess with my interior loading. Stids way is good to if you don't have outside room.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast