Thread: HUNDREDS of Aircraft TIRES Slashed at Merrill Field....Sickening, just Sickening

Default HUNDREDS of Aircraft TIRES Slashed at Merrill Field....Sickening, just Sickening

Unless there are cameras, or they start bragging at the bar.....they will get away with it. I here 1100 people go missing in Alaska every year.....I guess 1101 won't be a big deal. I hope they get what they gave out.....

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I know several people that own small planes and most of them do not have deep enough pockets to lay out the cash for new tires!!!! It is a shame that some people do not have more respect for other peoples property!
    Wonder if the person/people that did this would like to go for an air plane ride?

This is beyond insanity.

I suspect that it was someone who is familiar with the facility and knew that it is vulnerable.
    Its hard to imagine what the motive might be but its also hard to imagine anyone doing this without one.

It is a Federal crime.........I expect the FBI is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    This is beyond insanity.

I suspect that it was someone who is familiar with the facility and knew that it is vulnerable.
    Its hard to imagine what the motive might be but its also hard to imagine anyone doing this without one.

This blows. I don't think it is something familiar with it because if they were they know how much those tires are to replace and would have respect for other's property. I bet it's some young selfish punks. I hope they get caught but will be sad because they prob won't have a penny to their name for restitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grew up exploring Alaska via the air - now it's time to explore it on a 4wheeler - one mile at a time!

Or someone who recently moved into Penland Park Trailer Court.........and hates airplane music. Which was my first thought, as that was a very hateful thing and spiteful vandalism act. My guess is that is well over a Hundred Thousand Dollars in damage.

Quote Originally Posted by iaedyene View Post
    This blows. I don't think it is something familiar with it because if they were they know how much those tires are to replace and would have respect for other's property. I bet it's some young selfish punks. I hope they get caught but will be sad because they prob won't have a penny to their name for restitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much every plane on Whiskey, including mine, got slashed. Thought the plane was safer behind the gate at Whiskey than when it was parked over on Golf. Bushwheels is stepping up with a discount for replacements, some may be able to be patched, but many had the sidewall cut. They are running low on some sizes too which is a shame for summer flying. Taking mine out there tomorrow to see.

Can't imagine one person taking the time to walk up and down the field that long slashing tires, wonder if it was a group of hooligans. They could had done a lot more damage at least tires are a relatively easy, though still expensive fix. Lots of cameras around Merrill I would be suprised if they aren't on one somewhere. Between this and the Wasilla gas theives, might have to pick up a game camera to mount near the plane.

Check your tailwheels, mine was slashed as well as the mains.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    This is beyond insanity.

I built a cabin years ago for Judge Hansen. I asked him about his experiences as a Judge. He told me quite a few, but the one thing he never understood was vandalism. The perps never had an excuse for what they did.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I am sorry to hear about this. Just a rotten thing. Fyi, and no, I am not a salesman, Desser tire has developed certified Tindra tires now. They are set up for 10" rims, but you could use adapters on your 6" wheels. Prices are substantially less than Bushwheels. I did hear that the company selling bushwheels is discounting them, if true is super cool that they are helping out that way.
    ARR

Yep, Bushwheels is giving 20% off to those who got hit and Avemco is waiving deductibles. Great support from both companies!

have there been any leads or updates on this case?

None I have heard, except a knife was found somewhere on the gravel strip parking and perhaps there were three different instruments used to puncture tires.