Thread: 1200 sq ft, OM-180 for everything?

North Pole, AK

Default 1200 sq ft, OM-180 for everything?

We are considering building a house this summer (soon). One of the things I'm holding myself up on is the heater.... we will not have a garage, but plan to build a room central for heating/water filtration and softener.

Is it realistic to expect a Toyo OM-180 to provide hydronic and domestic heat in a house 1200 sq ft? I'm trying to truly understand the allure of the Toyo boilers compared to the more traditional boiler units. They are for sure a bit of a different realm when compared to the Toyo monitor heaters that have made them so famous up here.

I'm asking this because I spoke with a Toyo sales person and they suggested 2 separate units, one for domestic, the other for hydronic. The pair would run over $5k, however I see that the OM-180 can be had for somewhere in the ball park of $1800-$2400 depending on where you get it.

Just looking for the most price conscious, effective and reliable option for a new 1200 sq ft, slab on grade home.

Thanks for the advice.

Chugiak, Alaska

My experience with Toyo is limited to field kerosene heaters. It may help other commenters though to know how tight and well-insulated the house will be.

On another topic, is permafrost not a concern for the foundation?

Just South of Moose Pass

I have a few of the Toyo boilers and Toyo hot water heaters. I have nothing but good things to say about them and find them very efficient. In one application I two of the boilers heating a 3,800 square foot building. These units have been in use for 8 years and with the exception of the water temp control failing on one unit they have worked flawlessly.
    I heat my domestic off one of the unit as well using a flat plate heat exchanger and and a small hot water tank for storage.

I assume you will be using in floor heat, I make sure to insulate very well under the slab, up the footing as well as out side the perimeter of the slab for several feet.

My Daughter and husband had a house that had in floor heat that was not insulated well enough around the perimeter and they had cold floors in 2 to 3 feet. Their heat supply was not a Toyo . I think that the problem was the work that was done not the heater.