Thread: 3 year old grandsons first fishing outing coming up...

Default 3 year old grandsons first fishing outing coming up...

I am taking my grandson out for his first trout fishing trip this weekend in and around the anchorage/ER area. And I have a ton of experience fishing for the larger fish, I just haven't fished for trout in a pretty long time.

I was wondering if someone can provide a tip or two on type of bait that is used these days for trout. Use to be power bait of various colors, or the single salmon eggs. Worms once in a while. Does this all still hold true or are there other types of bait used these days? I am hoping to keep his interest long enough to catch his first fish.

Thank you.
    Tony

I'm partial to small lures such as Mepps or the Kastmaster. I grew up in California fishing salmon eggs and bobbers for trout and perch. Never had much success bait fishing for trout, compared to spinning lures. I'm sure I'm not doing it right...

Bobber and single egg or power bait is perfect for a small kid. Watch what power bait you buy...some of it is floating and doesn't work well suspended under a bobber. However, sometimes it's better to fish off the bottom...a few split shots and the floating powerbait or marshmallows very well for that.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Sounds good gentlemen. So not much has changed it sounds. I'd love to use spinners too, but don't think that'll work just yet. If all goes well, I'll display my grandsons first fish tomorrow.

Thank you.
    Tony

Good luck to you both! My dad used to take my niece out fishing every summer and made a tradition out of stopping by McDonalds afterwards for a treat. I'm not advocating junk food, but you might think about something that your grandson can enjoy and look forward to in addition to the fishing.

Bobber with single egg for bait. Great balls of fire for bait. Look at the stocking data on F&G website to see what lakes been stocked and when. Go in morning or late evening when the wind dies down and the lake is glass.

if you do get into some decent fishing where the bite is fairly consistent, I would consider pinching down the barb as well. not so much for the fish's sake but on the off chance the youngster gets hooked.

a bad experience early can shut kids down for the rest of their lives sometimes. as crazy as I am about fishing, a bad experience or two shut my younger brother down for life on fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Default Had a good first trip

All good tips for sure, thank you. At the last minute, mom and dad wanted to go. We actually had a great time. Had a few good hits, brought a fish to the dock but lost him, but he never lost interest in 2 hours. All in all though, I'd say he's hooked. We'll be doing a grandpa, grandson trip in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

sweet. treasure every moment!

Awesome to hear, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to doing the same with my grandson this season.

For my boy I use a size 0 hot shot frog pattern. Whats nice is it has some weight to it so he can cast it but it floats so it wont stick to the bottom and hang him up. He's self sufficient with those little lures. If I put a spinner on it or an egg Im constantly messing with it and he has to keep handing the rod back which he doesn't like to do. If we are fishing from the boat in deeper water I let him roll a spinner because typically he can't cast out enough line to get it to the bottom anyway and letting it sink actually helps him catch more fish.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.