Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need 26' boat opinions

Default Need 26' boat opinions

Went and looked at a 26' river hawk and 26' pacific explorer today.
    Loved the deck on the river hawk. But otherwise loved the hewescraft for everything else storage/cabin space/ seat comfort/berth size/fish boxes and so on.
    Question is who makes a boat with comfort AND a nice size deck? I'd go to a 28' if needed.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake,
    Wooldridge.
    Come check out mine if interested.

Would help to know budget tolerances. Thought about used?
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Jake,

A bigger deck is nice but what is your mission? Just a family boat? Guiding? Transporting? etc... A landing craft might work nicely for you. Big enough for your four wheeler in the front for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Went and looked at a 26' river hawk and 26' pacific explorer today.
    Loved the deck on the river hawk. But otherwise loved the hewescraft for everything else storage/cabin space/ seat comfort/berth size/fish boxes and so on.
    Question is who makes a boat with comfort AND a nice size deck? I'd go to a 28' if needed.
    Take a look at the 26/27 ft North River Offshore. Be sure to look at the difference between the long & short cabin versions.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Looking at the ducky, and the NR. Would use it for business after I get my 6pack license, don't think I can do anything for my guide business without that. But it would be a family fishing boat as well. Overnight trips is key. Inside head for the wife is huge too. Lol
    Master guide 212

Don't rule out Raider the 2696. Also look at the NorthRiver Sounder 26 or 28 with a 10' beam. Almar (now NR) built a killer boat for for the Shelter Cove Lodge in Craig that was plus size in side height and beam big time (that boat is now in Juneau). It may have been a 28'. The Duckworth is above the Hewes Pacific Explorer but the Explorer ain't no slouch either. I bet the best bang for the buck is the Raider.

Sobie2

IMO a used boat will be the ticket as a lot of them are likely to come on the market when the economy crashes and folks head to the L48. If it were me, a 10' beam (or very close) would be mandatory. Much more room inside, less deflection of boat as people move from side to side, plus easier to sleep someone sideways in boat when you need to. Over 10' that $330 at the tunnel is gonna hurt though. Lots of things to think about, including the size of the v-berth. If you have large friends/family/clients it may be hard to find a roomy enough v-berth in a narrow 27 foot boat.

Buy one from out of state I know of 2 kingfishers and and one north river that were bought out of state. Savings were big even with pulling back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thought about the 10' beam. Decided the extra fees/cost wouldn't be for me. Whatever I get is Bimini cover the deck and if I had clients is sleep out there. The interior of the hewes was about right for what I'd like but not sure if the small deck is doable.

Used boats...well my wife would like a clean boat to start with. Everything used we've ever bought ended up costing us more in the long run. I'd rather create my own problems than buy someone else's.
    Master guide 212

The raider is 110" beam what's the trailer able max without going to wide load?
    Master guide 212

That River Hawk is really nice but that little fuel tank ruins it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I was not impressed with the river hawk. The bench seats and dinette table were horrible. Squished my legs and the table wobbled bad. Couldn't even sit at it. I see deweys is already dropping the price
    To try and get rid of it.
    Master guide 212

Under 8.5' is $22; over 8.5' up to 10' is $38; over 10' and less than 10' 6" is $330.

The link to the toll info is here: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...el/tolls.shtml

So, 10' even gets the cheap price.

The berth in that river hawk isn't much bigger than a kennel. I'm a BIG guy and the interior of the Hewes is simply awesome for me. The head with their recent change past few years with the above deck holding tank made it completely unusable without sitting sideways with the door open, not because of my general stature but my feet simply won't fit the way it's situated. That was why we went with the 24' Explorer. Hull is only 18" shorter than the 26' but the deck is 11" longer. While the cabin is shorter, all we lost was the head/closet and about 18" of counter space other side of the sink.

However, our family is small, and we typically only have 2-3 of us aboard, so the minor loss of interior space and gain of almost a foot of deck was perfect trade. We added a Bimini with the fast back enclosure, which the secondary Espar heater knocks the chill off even out there. The only real downside to the 24' for us was the smaller 127gal tank.

Been super pleased with the Explorer. It's a gap boat for us, something for the next 5-7 years or so till my 4 y/o gets handier with helping launch and shows solid interest in going out all the time, if that happens, we'll step up to a 26' or 28' with a nice usable head.

If we wanted a head and more interior space now, I would have bought a Duckworth from outside. I think in the next year or two we will see more of them up here with their new interiors, which they made some nice changes this year in the comfort area.

Almost went that route this year but caught Deweys at the right time, they basically price matched the best deal I could get outside, $3k over Tom & Jerrys best offer in Washington which is what the ferry would have cost me. Still drool a bit at the Duckworth and Woolridges, but when I run our boat for a few days at a time with our typical crowd of 2-3 folks, I have zero complaints. Super comfortable and has everything we need. Love it, but like many folks, love a lot of the boats out there.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

BRWNBR

Hewes is coming out with a 29' boat in Aug I think. This just showed up on the Hewes owners forum. Might be just the boat you are looking for.

I had a 260 explorer and added 30" to the length. I now have 96" long rear deck. Love it.

Wildwill... Concerning the Hewes head

Reposition 4 large screws and add a few inches to the discharge line on your head and you can reposition it to an angled position and your feet might fit. Agree with you 6" would make a huge difference. The angled position helps.

29'? Dang. Gonna be a 200k boat I bet....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Whatever I get is Bimini cover the deck and if I had clients is sleep out there.
    Seriously? Clients will pay to sleep under a canopy on a cot? Twice a day requires take down and set-up of sleeping arraignments? Dude, charge more and put your clients in a nice heated v-berth. But you know better than me what people are willing to pay for. I'm just saying....

iPhone auto correct...!!! I would sleep on the deck!! Geez no way I'd stick clients outside lol
    Master guide 212

Gotcha. Still, I'd give up deck space for cabin space.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast