Thread: Big Susitna River, North of Talkeetna

Default Big Susitna River, North of Talkeetna

I have a cabin on the big Su, roughly 40 miles north of Talkeetna. A few years ago I owned an old 22' Valco jet with a 350. I ran the river a number of times with no Major issues. Since then, I have purchased a much larger jet boat. 28' CustomWeld Twin. 460's. I will be back in Alaska this late summer and want to run the Big Su again. I wasn't all that nervous about the old Valco because of its size and it wasn't all that heavy. This new boat is huge and heavy and take a bit to get on plane.

Here is what i'm wondering:

What is the best way to get up river w/o putting her on the bottom? What is the best resource to learn how to read a river? I have a garmin chart plotter, and was planning on following Mahays up river to see where the deep water is. Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to keep up. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!!!

Follow mayhays up it with their big boats and that'll tell us all you need to know I'd guess.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Call Mahays and see when their next trip up the Big Su is with the Talkeetna Queen. Have you seen that boat? It's HUGE!! It's over 30' long, has at least 2 big block engines with jets, and hauls like 24 people on leisurely Big Su flora and fauna day trips. If it can make it up there, I'm pretty sure you can too...

I was thinking of taking a day trip with them with a GPS and tracking their route. That might be the best way!

actually, the launch might be your biggest problem. There is a shallow spot just above and below the boat ramp that gives people fits. Might be fine in high water mid summer conditions, I am usually there in the spring.

My experience up that way is that the river is straight forward, but you have to read it like any other river. There are shallow spots. And Rocks. Below Talkeetna, there are not so many can openers, but up north around the railroad tracks there are legitimate rocks to worry about. Often a swirl of water in the Susitna is a buried tree. Up there, maybe not. I treat water disturbances as rocks up there.

Mahays is a great idea. Take the tour on their big boat and you will have a GPS track for sure. Following the boat might not be such a great idea. They stop sometimes for pictures