Thread: Anyone know what mold this came from???

Default Anyone know what mold this came from???

Somebody sold me a few odd 45 slugs that they had obtained in a trade. This one REALLY works well in my 1873 rifle. It weighs about 202-203 grains and is .455 in diameter. The hollow cavity is five sided...

Has anyone seen anything like this ????

See pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-31 038 (1280x1078).jpg  
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

That hex hollow point is distinctive. I've seen it somewhere, but have trouble dredging it up. Otherwise that bullet looks very much like this one.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Maybe MP-Molds?

It sure looks close to the mold Brown Bear posted , except for the weird pentagonal hole. In the long run it might be accurate in the rifle, but since there is no crimping groove, I wonder how it would handle being inside a tubular magazine under recoil ????
    Maybe not so swell. Oddly enough my pistols did not like that load and shot a HUGE group.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    ...since there is no crimping groove, I wonder how it would handle being inside a tubular magazine under recoil ????
    Maybe not so swell.
    With softer alloys I have no qualms about crimping right into the side of the bullet. Doesn't take much to do the job, and it sure works. It helps that I tend to run pretty minimal expander plugs so there's a good, tight grip on the bullet even without the crimp.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

These were covered with tumble lube, but I hand lubed the groove just before loading them. MP mold site refuses to load tonight on my computer.

Yup, probably an MP mold. The only problem with MP molds is most are made as group buys so when the run is sold out, you have to wait until enough people get together to get another run made, which can take years.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have loaded lots of lead bullets and ignored the crimp groove and crimped them where they worked the best. At any rate that load is minute of squirrel noggin. Do you know how fast they are running? With that big frontal area and hollow cavity I bet some of them made out of soft lead running around 1000fps would wreck a set of deer lungs out to say 50-75 yards. Thats where it's at for me anymore.

I have used quite a bit of CFE223 and love the stuff. I am going to have to try some of the pistol version soon.

I would love some more info on that mold. Would if be safe to say that the bullet could be sized to .452 and shot from a 45lc Blackhawk?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    Would if be safe to say that the bullet could be sized to .452 and shot from a 45lc Blackhawk?
    A change of .003 isn't a big deal, so no worries. I doubt you can even detect the difference by looking at the bullets after sizing. In my own monkey work, I've found you've got to get up to around .010 before you can see it (mostly visible in the grease grooves), and even then it doesn't hurt anything. Still plenty accurate.
    Merle Haggard

I would like to try it if I can find the mold. Cast with something like range scrape BHN 10 -13 then powder coat it. Probably needs to be near 1500 to 1600 FPS for any real expansion. Looks like a real thumper.

They'll expand at 900-1000 fps if cast from bhn 10-13.

400 gr hp cast from ww's shot from my 480 at ~1200 fps into glacial silt the nose blew off. Similar bullet w/o the hp penetrated ~30" with minimal expansion.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    ....BHN 10 -13.... Probably needs to be near 1500 to 1600 FPS for any real expansion.
    I just looked up the BHN of my beloved Lyman #2 Alloy, with which I have almost 50 years of experience. Turns out it's BHN 15.

Based on that, I'm betting that BHN 10-13 might start coming apart on you a little at 1500-1600. I get a little expansion of hollow point #2's down around MV1200, but none on FPs. Up at MV1500-1600 the expansion starts getting pretty substantial on HPs with much of a cavity at all. By MV1800 the noses on HPs are starting to come apart, though that's about ideal for a little expansion on FPs.

Those results are based mostly on deer with a little elk and one moose thrown in for test media.
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

https://www.google.com/search?q=s%26...obile&ie=UTF-8

I can't get a direct link to it because some AP has taken over all the Videos I watch,,,, BUT if you go to the above LINK, which is a search page, and choose the 1st YouTube video on the S&W 625 revolver,,,, bullets like that are pictured and the reviewer mentions who makes the mould. Howsomever, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND what he says. Maybe, you can.

I'm sorry I so dumb.

Waitaminute........ Try this,,,, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s2aGdnExURs

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Good catch! It's a MiHec .45 200g Cramer Penta Point HP 4 cavity mold. This thread has some discussion. Looks like it's from MP Molds, but going to their site gets a message that they're updating.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I just looked up the BHN of my beloved Lyman #2 Alloy, with which I have almost 50 years of experience. Turns out it's BHN 15.

Based on that, I'm betting that BHN 10-13 might start coming apart on you a little at 1500-1600. I get a little expansion of hollow point #2's down around MV1200, but none on FPs. Up at MV1500-1600 the expansion starts getting pretty substantial on HPs with much of a cavity at all. By MV1800 the noses on HPs are starting to come apart, though that's about ideal for a little expansion on FPs.

Those results are based mostly on deer with a little elk and one moose thrown in for test media.
    I agree Brownbear. Sounds like #2 or Hardball alloy would be best. Powder coating helps prevent leading at those speeds but it doesnt hold the bullet together.

Found it on Castboolitz website.