Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much extra gas do you like to carry?

Default How much extra gas do you like to carry?

Was out in the Sound this weekend, it was phenomenal weather. Lots of Coast Guard chatter of people running out of fuel.

I'm just curious how much extra gas you guys like to carry, I have been holding on to a reserve of 15 gallons (about 30 miles) for multi-day trips out to Knight Island from Whittier. Figure that gives me enough to slog through rougher water or run and hide in a cove to get out the weather, but curious if that sounds like too much or not enough.

Thanks, safe boating!

That's a good question. We don't carry any extra as we hold 156 gallons already and that gets us pretty much anywhere we PLAN to go and get back safely. I heard several calls yesterday as well. on our way back thru Port Wells when the 3rd call came in, I saw the boat to our port side just drifting along. I pulled next to him and he admitted he ran out of gas. I called the coast guard and told them I'd tow him to safety (Squirrel Cove) and that was it. Luckily the owner was able to coordinate for some extra fuel to be brought out. Can't remember the guys name, but he came out and met us there about an hour or so later. They were both back to the harbor by the time I got loaded on the trailer.
    I wish people would pay more attention and plan accordingly especially when they have children on board.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I hold 120 gallons which gives me 200 miles easily. Out of Homer or Seward I never take extra. 90% of my PWS trips are 2-4 days and I have carried two 15's and a 30 polly. Headed to S. Monty this weekend and will have the 30 with me.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I can carry 220 gals and can carry two poly 15's if needed. I like to stay out 7-10 days. I rarely burn more than 180-90 gals. If I plan on a long trip I don't mind getting back with 30-50 gallons. You never know.

I've listened to a number of out of fuel situations on the radio. Memorial day and the 4th seem to be the worst times. I've towed two boats due to engine problems not fuel. Helped another with a spare anchor after they lost theirs. Holidays are always interesting. Good planning is a great tool to help stay out of trouble.

Roughly 10 years ago, I went down to the Montague Straits looking for Halibut. At that time, all I had was the standard fuel gauge that came with my 22' Searunner (85 gal. tank). I remember stopping at the village of Chenega and learning they are not terribly interested in selling fuel. I made it back to the dock just fine but remember feeling very lucky. I don't like lucky; I prefer to be safe on purpose. So, I had a Yamaha fuel management system installed. Some of the best money I've spent for the boat. It tells me my current burn rate and how much I've burned since leaving the dock. It's very accurate; if it says I used 46 gallons, the next time I fill up the boat I can bet it'll be no more than 1 gallon off. Having that information pretty much eliminates my concerns over running out of fuel.

I just follow the 1/3 to get there, 1/3 to get back and 1/3 for safety rule. Boat carries 160 gallons which if burned right gives me a 250 mile range.. I have two 15 gallon drums for long trips, days or miles.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

What he says!

But that said - I usually have 1/4 for safety. We hold 85 and I'm headed to montie in the morning from Whittier and have mapped out 210 miles travel. I have 240 mile range and am carrying an extra 20. That leaves me 30 miles + 60 miles = 90 miles of fuel. one way plan is for 105 miles. Usually I hit my usage right on (so far) but weather can make a huge fuel consumption difference.

Next weekend (fri/sat/sun) in Seward I will take an extra 30 gallons because we plan on travelling further (and are staying at a cabin so will have return to cabin daily fuel burn. Also in Seward the weather can and will be nasty compared to PWS and there's less hidey holes.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I just follow the 1/3 to get there, 1/3 to get back and 1/3 for safety rule. Boat carries 160 gallons which if burned right gives me a 250 mile range.. I have two 15 gallon drums for long trips, days or miles.

My rule of thumb is always to carry twice what I think I'll need. Said another way, I won't go further than puts my tanks half down.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Same here. New boat has 127 gal tank, and on longer runs/weekends we are taking a couple 15 cubes. 2nd weekend of shrimp season heard several calls for tow and saw a couple being towed on the trip in. Lady in the harbor master commented the weekend was busy with folks uncertain how much fuel they had (or didn't) which made for busier Sunday.

We are having Bay Weld looking at boxing in our transom. While at it, they are checking to see what size 2nd tank, and cost, I could fit in the large void we have in the hold.

With all the varied comments and opinions in our great forum and others--I have NEVER heard a single person complain that their fuel tank is simply too darn BIG.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

i have a 150 gallon plus i always have approx 25 gallons tied down up front behind anchor!...have yet to use it(bonk bonk)
    ...plus, carry.another 25 gallons i put in once there is room in the tank!...mts then get tied down on roof!...just in case we go further than planned like to have extra!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I would love to plan how much fuel I am going to burn. I tend to make a lot of detours so fuel consumption is an unknown at the pump. It seems I make a lot of decisions on where to go based on how much fuel I have left while I am out there. Keeping tabs on your fuel is the way to go with a big safety margin. The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule is a good one. It would be different I suppose if I was making a strict out and back run. Yet to happen though.

I carry 94 gallons in tanks, then up to 4-15 gal drums. My fuel burn is almost always 2.1 mpg, occasionally it's been 2.3 mpg so plan on 2 mpg. I usually run one tank dry to confirm I'm getting my regular mileage, then add extra fuel to that. I've been pretty spot on with knowing how much fuel I have left.

I would like to add a fuel flow meter, a simple one that just measured how much fuel went to the engines would be great. Anyone have any recommendations besides Floscan or Lowrance/Suzuki? I have twin 2006 Suzukis so apparently the Floscans don't work that well and the extra engine cables for the pre 2008 Suzukis bring a single gauge and two cables to about $750.

Good comments from all.

Default How much extra gas do you like to carry?

I carry 150 and use 94 running to montague and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    With all the varied comments and opinions in our great forum and others--I have NEVER heard a single person complain that their fuel tank is simply too darn BIG.
    "The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire."

That's the only thing that worries me--having worked post-collision fuel-fed fire cases in my pre-Alaskan life, I have spent more time than anyone could want with the effects of those scenarios on our fragile bodies. So what do I do, throw on extra cans of fuel anyway. It's always perfectly fine till it's not.

Really would prefer another sub-deck tank--so we'll see what will fit and costs. Might stick with the cans for a while and hope for the best. At least there are far, far fewer collisions on the water vs roadway.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

My boat holds 210gallons and I haven't done any long runs yet but plan on heading to Montague sooner than later. By the sounds of others range, I should be ok for a Montague trip and weekend. I am thinking 100gallons there and back, 50 to use while there. 50 left over. The last ten gallons to fill the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the pickup tube.

Boat holds 135 in tank. Often carry an extra 10 to 20 if we are out for a while or hanging out on the south end. Nice to run over to Monty if wx is good or do some exploring and the extra jugs make it possible.
    Our trips are often 200-300 miles long over a weeks time.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I calculate how much fuel i will burn then add 10 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I carry 94 gallons in tanks, then up to 4-15 gal drums. My fuel burn is almost always 2.1 mpg, occasionally it's been 2.3 mpg so plan on 2 mpg. I usually run one tank dry to confirm I'm getting my regular mileage, then add extra fuel to that. I've been pretty spot on with knowing how much fuel I have left.

I would like to add a fuel flow meter, a simple one that just measured how much fuel went to the engines would be great. Anyone have any recommendations besides Floscan or Lowrance/Suzuki? I have twin 2006 Suzukis so apparently the Floscans don't work that well and the extra engine cables for the pre 2008 Suzukis bring a single gauge and two cables to about $750.

Good comments from all.
    I would lean towards the Lowrance mutifunction gauge, either the 200 or the 400, you can use one gauge for both motors and they run ~ 200 bucks each, and then you will need a interface to plug into each motor, essentially you will be building a NMEA 2000 network. It will also display engine & trim info. If your electronics are N2K compatiable you may be able to plug into them and display your fuel info on the plotter.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Always plan to use 25% more than you think you will.
    My first long trip after re-powering my boat with a 4 stroke I used almost all of my fuel.
    My boat has a 22 gallon built in tank and I installed a 12 gallon secondary tank. I also took 17 gallons of fuel in cans.
    This was for my 18 foot with 115 HP OB. The trip was about 140 miles round trip plus I was fishing the area I was camping for a week.
    I had to nix the idea of some longer day trips in order to have enough to make it the whole week and return home.
    Would have liked another 10 or 12 gallons on the trip.
    As it was I ended up with about 6 gallons in the tank when I got back to the dock.
    A little too close for my liking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast