Thread: AK Peninsula grad gift

Default AK Peninsula grad gift

My son graduated engineering school after 5 years of hardwork, and as a grad gift, my wife and I gave him an AK peninsula bear hunt. Thehunt would be my son, my brother, and I. My son and I would be looking for ourfirst brown bears and my brother looking for his second. We flew in on May 15to clear sunny skies. Camp setup went quickly and by bedtime we had spotted ourfirst two bears. Day 1 brought clear skies again. About 2 hours into themorning a nice bear came out on the tidal flats 500 yards from camp. Ourattempted stalk was cut short by swirling winds. An hour later another nicebear showed up on the flats and the stalk was on. We were able to get up on theadjacent ridge and after about 20 minutes of sneaking from rock to rock, my sonshot his first brown bear at 165 yards. Day 2 brought a few bears spotted butnothing we could get a stalk going on. Day 3 was uneventful until noon when myson suggested we take a hike to the hill one mile behind camp. Shortly aftertopping the hill, we spotted a boar following a sow, and heading in ourdirection. I quickly got set up as they began to move into range. At 200 yards theydropped off a hill into the alders, headed for a grass opening 130 yards awayfrom. After a short swim in the creek they entered the grass clearing. We letout a few loud whistles to stop the boar and 2 shots later I had my first brownbear. During the process of waiting for the boar to move into range we spotteda second boar and sow across the valley, headed up the mountain. Day 4 & 5brought rain, fog, and wind. We were able to catch brief glimpses of the secondboar and sow high up the mountain. Most of that time we were holed up in thetent waiting out the weather. Day 6 brought more sunshine. We headed back tothe hill behind camp hoping to find another boar. After an hour of glassing wespotted the boar and sow up in the high country. They were snoozing in themorning sun. We quickly made a game plan and set it into action. Over 2 hourslater, after crossing alder bottoms, circling hills, crawling through exposedopenings, and ascending a rock chute, we were finally ready to crest the lastridge. Our hope was that the stalk would put us with in range and above thenapping bears. We peaked over the ridge to find both bears napping broadside belowus at 208 yards. We caught our breath and my brother set up for the shot. Twoshots, a 200 vertical fall into a ravine, and the last tag was punched. Whatan exciting, action packed, memory filled hunt, and time spent with family waspriceless. What a great state we live in!!
    DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0072.jpg
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"

Fantastic!! What an excellent hunt! Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

couldn't get the last two pics to load, here's another try

Congrats to your son! Oh yeah, good job with the bears too.

What an excellent adventure together. Great hunt too. Congrats to u all.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats, sounds like a great hunt.

Great time with family
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

Congratulatons Doug!!!!

No one more deserving then you!
    I'm thrilled to hear you had a successful and safe trip. I'm also glad you got to share those memories with you son and brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kris,
    After seeing your pics from Kodiak, I had to get out there and those majestic beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by brule View Post
    Thanks Kris,
    After seeing your pics from Kodiak, I had to get out there and those majestic beasts.
    Love your signature line.......so very, VERY, true...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!