Thread: Missed Opportunity

Default Missed Opportunity

PICT0136.jpg
    So I have this young bear that has been coming into my bait. The other night as I was going in to add more bait, I kicked him off of it and heard him crashing off in the brush. I gave him a day to settle down and sure enough, he came back the next day. Tonight I decided that if he came in, I would harvest him if I had the chance. Tonight he came in.

Long story short, He came in from a different direction than I was expecting and I had to turn myself in the treestand. The stand squeeked and he busted me. I rushed my shot and missed him clean. There was no signs of a hit and I watched him run off for 60-70 yards or so. I listened for 5-6 minutes and no sounds of a death moan or bawling. Then I climbed down and searched the area for any signs of blood or a hit and found nothing. I decided to leave the area early and give him some space and settle down.

My question is, how long would you wait before going back in? Do you think I have run him off permanently?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    My question is, how long would you wait before going back in? Do you think I have run him off permanently?
    Hard to say....you really can never second guess a bear. He may be young and dumb, or now he may be young and smart. I know of it was me I'd keep trying for sure. Many times their hunger outweighs their little brain....

Good Luck....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Maybe don't be so close to the bait and hold off moving, let him come into your shooting zone rather than moving...he may come back if you didn't singe him. He'll be spooky when he comes back now.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Give him a day or two then get back in there.

bears are crazy I have seen shots taken several times on bears in a 20 minute time frame (scope lost zero) and they just came back in no hesitation. Some bears steer clear for a few days but usually if there is food they will be back.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Many years back, we had a smallish (5 foot) bear on our bait that we tried to run off. We were due back to work, and it just wasn't the bear he wanted, but the bear simp,y wouldn't leave. We talked to it, no effect, we threw sticks at him from our stand, he looked our way, but just kept munching. We shot into the dirt near the bear, it ran off 20 yards and turned right around and came back within 2 minutes and started eating again. We tried for 45 minutes to run him off, with no luck at all. My buddy ended up taking the bear.

Went back in after 48 hours and no sign of him. Bait has not been touched and no pictures on the camera. I added fresh bait and more scent products so we will see. Work will keep me busy for the next four days before I can check again. Sigh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

As some others mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much. My wife missed a shot on a mature bear we walked in on. The bear ran off and we confirmed a clean miss. My dad insisted that we should at least stay for the evening in spite of the gun shot.

We used our climber treestands to get up and just as my wife was settling in another mature bear (we're really sure it was a different bear) walked in. Because she didn't have her gun up the tree yet (tied off on a rope and sitting on the ground) my dad took the 6 footer.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Not all bears are "gun smart" i walked up on mine, fired a single shot, I knew I hit him good bit climbed in the stand and let him die. When I took my shot we were both carrying packs and bows. 15 minites after the shot we climbed down and retrieved the stuff. When we got back to the stand, we got the food ready to put in each barrel, look up and theres a nice black bear! Less than 20 minutes after the shot!! Got posted up and waited to take a shot but never came into a clearing, took off after he basically walked up on my dead bear, didnt know that until later though. They usually come back if they havent been pressured or shot at much before.