Thread: Recommend a boat for Fairbanks?

Default Recommend a boat for Fairbanks?

I am heading back to Fairbanks for a year or two next fall. I had planned to replace my Weldcraft Sabre inboard jet as it has nearly 800 hours on it. I grew up on the Noatak and Kobuk rivers and always wanted to cruise around in the interior. I saw a few Extreme shallows at the boat shop and they look pretty nice.

Would this be a good all around boat for this area? When I bought my weldcraft the salesman talked me out of the sport jet at the time citing reliability with the 175 I believe so I went with a v8. I figure this isn't an issue this many years later and so many of those sport jets buzzing around now. Sounds like most are in the 40-50k range?

Default XS is a great boat

I just got an 1875 Extreme Shallow and so far it has been pretty awesome. Just got back from a trip on the Yukon and some clearwater tributaries this past weekend. Had 4 guys, gear, beer, 60 extra gallons of gas above the 38 gallon belly tank. Handled like a champ even running heavy in the Yukon and was able to run shallow up some of the clearwater rivers.

Get the 20' version if you plan on hauling more or spending a lot of time doing extended range trips.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbacks View Post
    I just got an 1875 Extreme Shallow and so far it has been pretty awesome. Just got back from a trip on the Yukon and some clearwater tributaries this past weekend. Had 4 guys, gear, beer, 60 extra gallons of gas above the 38 gallon belly tank. Handled like a champ even running heavy in the Yukon and was able to run shallow up some of the clearwater rivers.

Get the 20' version if you plan on hauling more or spending a lot of time doing extended range trips.
    Thanks for that report. The 21' extreme shallow I had my eye on appears to be sold already, so I'm going with a new model.

Whats the difference between a 2175 Extreme Shallow and a 20' predator x? The shop is asking 7k+ for the XS over the predator in Anchorage, they look pretty similar to my eye unless there is something different going on below deck.

Where's a decent place to start on the Chena....mile 26 and head up from there until the river dries up? What about the Chena Pump launch, I want to head downriver from there away from town. I can read a river fairly well just need to know if there are any places I shouldn't go with a boat.

I like to put in at chena lakes and go upstream from there. The fishing is really good, not to many people on the river, and when the water is low it's fun to run all the way up to 26 mile chsr. Sometimes you can't make it all the way there without a chainsaw. Once you get about 10 miles above the dam the river gets smaller and there are places you may have to use the throttle to steer.
    The boat launch at chena lakes is really good but there is a mud bar at the mouth of the slough so you have to be on step to get in and out of it.

There's launches at 27, 37.8 and 44 mile as well.

27 being the best for a large-ish boat.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74