Thread: Ruger Vaquaro

Default Ruger Vaquaro

Do the fixed sighted six-guns usually shoot to point of aim. How much work is it to work up a load that hits point of aim or is it some what of a crap shoot.

I have for a long time thought about getting a Bisley Vaquero in 357 but I need to know that they can be loaded to shoot with the sights. My concern comes from experience gained years ago with several fix sighted handguns that did not shoot to point aim with ammo that I had on hand. A Berretta 92 was one of them and I have steered clear of anything fix sighted that might be used for hunting ever since.

Convince me that I can come up with a hunting load for a Ruger Vaquero that shoots to point of aim and I'll buy one. I am not willing to settle for learning to hold 6 inches low and 10 inches to the right to hit my target. Or is that a given with a fixed sighted revolver?

I've had two Vaqueros... a .45 and a .357.

The .45 required some milling on the front site to get it right but the .357 was close enough for typical use out of the box. For a self defense gun I have no qualms with a fixed sight revolver (shooting close and fast) but for a hunting revolver I'd want adjustable sights.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've only had the chance to shoot one, and that in 45. Belongs to a bud, and he never had to mess with the sights with factory loads. Windage (actually elevation) adjustments were required when he messed with heavy bullets and more poop behind them. Nice feel in the hand and accurate too, but I just never got inspired to own one for some reason. Could be that I didn't get to shoot it until about the time my handgun hunting days were winding down.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Well I low balled it and still won. I always wanted to be a cowboy...except I ain't crazy about horses.

I have lots of 357 ammo to shoot up and its all loaded the same. 158 grain semi wad cutters at around 1k fps.
    Frog gun.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Well I low balled it and still won. I always wanted to be a cowboy...except I ain't crazy about horses.

I have lots of 357 ammo to shoot up and its all loaded the same. 158 grain semi wad cutters at around 1k fps.
    Frog gun.
    Very nice EKC... I need to pick up another one now the Cowboy Action shooting is on the decline. Since they aren't made of plastic, I'd reckon their days are numbered in the Ruger line up.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Very nice EKC... I need to pick up another one now the Cowboy Action shooting is on the decline. Since they aren't made of plastic, I'd reckon their days are numbered in the Ruger line up.
    One of the locals got big into that cowboy action stuff. He and his wife bought cowboy clothes. He looked liked Wild Bill Hick-up and she looked like Miss Kitty's fat older sister. He bought a pair of SS Vaqueros and had them rechambered to 38-40. He then spent a weeks wages on fancy studded gun leather for them side arms. He even sucked on unlit cigars when he had his get up on. Every weekend they went to one of their doings. It took him two days to learn to talk normal again after one of them outings. He called people sod busters and cow polk. He came in the local gun shop in his old west attire one day and got mad when I called him Festus Hagen. It's a-kin to Elvis impersonators or something like it. Not for me. I can subject myself to enough ridicule in my normal clothes, besides trick or treating is for kids.
    Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes on this forum cuz there are some real cowboys that still rope, ride and wear cowboy hats. They are tough as nails and they live the part rather than look the part....big difference.
    E&E moved back to the east coast recently and all of their clothes are for sale at the local consignment shop. My buddy is stuck trying to sell the cowboy guns for three times what they are worth. Anyone want to buy a Ubertti 44-40 lever gun with the stock pounded full of carpet tacks?

...besides trick or treating is for kids.
    That sezz it all. Only heard it better one time, from my granddaughter after attending a vous and watching this one guy re-enacting. She turned to me and said "That's not re-enacting. It's just bad acting!"

In cow country there's another saying for guys like him: "All hat, no cows."

We owned cows and worked them up until about 15 years ago and horses longer than that, but I never considered myself a cowboy. That's a title reserved for folks lots more deserving.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I had a Colt SAA 357 5.5" barrel that was very much Like, the Vaquaro. (rear sight was only a groove in the top strap.) It shot the sights OK, if I regulated its use to close up bear medicine which I did. Carried it only for that but didn't shoot it much.

For some readon, that gun just Murdered my earballs. It broke on me twice. Those leaf Springs just weren't reliable, so I traded it off in a gun store, for a Ruger New Model with Adjustable Sights, Coil Springs, and an inch longer barrel.

This was a long time ago, and I got $200. Boot. 4 problems Solved, if I include my pocket book.

I do have 1 revolver with fixed/groove sights, but I can't envision ever buying another. No advantage that I can see, cept maybe a tiny bit more rugged, and less sharp edges

Serving Bunnie in the Greatland,
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have one in 44 mag that someone before me had filed down the front sight for what ever load he was using. I wanted to shoot the Lee 310 gr hot as a bear defense gun so I had to add some to the top of the front sight. Windage is fine with any load but elevation changes a bunch with different loads. I gave up playing cowboys and Indians a long time ago and I never did like horses much.

I've had two Vaqueros... a .45 and a .357.

The .45 required some milling on the front site to get it right but the .357 was close enough for typical use out of the box. For a self defense gun I have no qualms with a fixed sight revolver (shooting close and fast) but for a hunting revolver I'd want adjustable sights.
    Are you certain that all with be like this(knowing Ruger I seriously doubt it)? In my experience no two are exactly alike.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Are you certain that all with be like this(knowing Ruger I seriously doubt it)? In my experience no two are exactly alike.
    Steve
    I'm certain they won't all be like this.

I was just relating my anecdotal experience... which was a mixed bag in a sample of 2.

I'm certain they won't all be like this.

I was just relating my anecdotal experience... which was a mixed bag in a sample of 2.
    And it certainly doesn't mean yours is the only one that will behave that way. Pretty common mods over the last century, whether Colt, S&W, Ruger, Hawes, H&R, Charter Arms. Each gun is itself, but there are enough out there that behave just as you describe that it covers many bases.
    Merle Haggard

I am not certain what loads will be the end result. I have no qualms what-so-ever with shooting deer with a 15 grainer going 1200fps. You just have to heve the mindset that broadside boiler room shots are the only ones you take and I have already lived by that concept for 20 years. You can pile up a deer with anything if you plunk him an inch or two behind the point in his elbow standing with his leg straight down and you can loose a deer shot with anything if you make a stupid ill advised shot. My son has been talking about carrying my 44 BlackHawk during Iowa gun season. That will only happen if I get proficient with this 357. I hoped he would want the 4 in RedHawk as it would fit his huge hands better than it fits mine.

For the time being I have scads of plinker loads to shoot up getting me used to the gun then I will work in a stout load. Back in the mid 80's I was as proficient as I will ever be in my lifetime and that was with a 6 inch 686. I ear holed lots of deer with it back in those days and my confidence was at the point that I knew that if they were in bow range they would loose their brains. 5 years after the 686 wore out(yes 100,000 rounds will do that) I was shooting a 629 and shooting way less often. I thought that I ear holed a deer but shot the jaw off of it and it got away. It made me sick to my stomach to think the death that deer must have died. No more of that nonsens for me....it's broadside boiler room or the hammer doesn't fall. We should be more responsible than to learn hard lessons at the sake of a deer. I wasn't!!

I have no qualms what-so-ever with shooting deer with a 15 grainer going 1200fps. You just have to heve the mindset that broadside boiler room shots are the only ones you take and I have already lived by that concept for 20 years.
    I'm going to grant that you mean 158's at 1200!!!

I'm here to sing harmony on the effectiveness of that load. Dinked a whole lot of deer with it, and always boiler room shots.

Matter of fact, I'd be just as confident all the way down to 800fps with range adjustments.

I got so handgun crazy at one point, I took it on myself to kill deer with just about every centerfire caliber you could name. Lots of buttscratching back in those days over "killing power" for defensive handguns, and I figured to find my own answers by impacting deer, whatever that told me about the larger question. Only ones I can figure I didn't use were 32ACP, 32 short and 25ACP. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Never, ever needed a second shot on any of them with any caliber I tried. Whether or not I learned anything about the big question about killing power, I did learn that deer die reliably with boiler room hits if you have enough poop to penetrate both lungs. And just about any round will do that.

More to the point, I killed something like half a dozen with 38 Special loafing 158 grain SWC's at around 800. Died just fine. Shot one with a 158 RN at the same speed. After a long tracking job I found it dead from the single shot, but decided not to do that again.

Message for you in all this jawing?

I wouldn't feel bound by 1200 fps. If your gun (and sights) happen to be best at another vel, go for it. The deer will never know the difference.
    Merle Haggard

BB:
    Is my Lil S&W 38 Special revolver 3" barrel, 158 gr. SWC , stiff load, close range, a Deer Gun.?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    BB:
    Is my Lil S&W 38 Special revolver 3" barrel, 158 gr. SWC , stiff load, close range, a Deer Gun.?

SOTN
    Doesn't need to be stiff by any means. The two I used when dinking them were 4" verisons (Colt M&P and S&W15). My chrono said the pinch of Unique under the SWC was pushing it out of those bores at 785 and 795 fps respectively, if memory serves. The biggest point is hitting them where they need to be hit. If you have to be close to do that, hold off your shots until you get close enough. All my shots ranged from 20' to just under 50 yards. I was well into about 15 years of shooting PPC in competition at the time (all double action), and had no qualms about hitting them in the right spot with either gun. But I knew my range limits and prayed to them daily. Recommend same.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Doesn't need to be stiff by any means. The two I used when dinking them were 4" verisons (Colt M&P and S&W15). My chrono said the pinch of Unique under the SWC was pushing it out of those bores at 785 and 795 fps respectively, if memory serves. The biggest point is hitting them where they need to be hit. If you have to be close to do that, hold off your shots until you get close enough. All my shots ranged from 20' to just under 50 yards. I was well into about 15 years of shooting PPC in competition at the time (all double action), and had no qualms about hitting them in the right spot with either gun. But I knew my range limits and prayed to them daily. Recommend same.
    OK, Thanks. My load is 4.5 grains of Unique or Universal with the 158 grain SWC.

I will hafta give that gun more attention. It is one of my CC guns with JHPs, but I have a whole big bunch of the loads mentioned.

It's sights don't adjust, but I use a high front sight picture.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.