Thread: Rossi 9 44 magnum

Default Rossi 9 44 magnum

I got a new Rossi 92 lever action 44 mag a while back and took it to the range this morning. I ordered it brand new and when it showed up at my FFL dealers shop I just took it out of the box long enough to make sure that it was all there and all was good.

Today at the range I raised the rifle to my shoulder to fire at yonder hanging gong. What the heck, the front and back sights are sitting at about 3 or 4 minutes after the hour rather than straight up at 12:00. I didn't shoot it. I opened the action and the extractor groove in barrel was also not at top dead center. In fact it looked like someone opened up the extractor groove just enough so the excractor could slide in. The extractor does hit the left side of the extractor cut out in the barrel which forces the the extractor to bind up a bit in the bolt race that it slides in.

I thought about taking it appart and cutting some v blocks out of oak to protect the barrel and then clamping it in my big vise. Then with put some leather over the receiver and with a big adjustable jawed wrench try to turn that receiver a bit further until the barrel was lined up properly with the receiver. I decided that since the gun has not been fired yet that I would be better off in the long run to just send it back to the factory. I had visions of cracking the receiver housing or such.

It is a bit disheartening to think that any gun could leave the factory with the barrel 9 degrees out of sinc with the receiver.

Will let you know how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Will let you know how this turns out.
    Might be like watching a slow speed train wreck, getting action on that. Depends on the jobber your dealer is working with. I'd sure go through them rather than trying to work directly with Rossi. Odds are you'll get a quick replacement rather than months/years waiting for warranty repair.

Keep us posted.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks for the head up EKC- I must admit I'd never seen that in all my years of gun nuttery. Until last year- now I've seen three different guns by two makers with sights that are catawampus.

Never mind that most companies consider irons mere ornamentation...now they can't even put them on straight.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

We have had that issue with several S&W revolvers. Mostly "J" and "K/L" Frame.

WOW, sounds like you really got a Friday gun. Braztech's QC has a reputation for being less than stellar. The M92 is a sound platform but seem to require some work to get them to function properly. I have a .357 version, I like it a lot after the treatment outlined in stevesgunz DVD.

Hopefully someone will make it right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    WOW, sounds like you really got a Friday gun. Braztech's QC has a reputation for being less than stellar. The M92 is a sound platform but seem to require some work to get them to function properly. I have a .357 version, I like it a lot after the treatment outlined in stevesgunz DVD.

Hopefully someone will make it right for you.
    I don't think that we are suppose to advertise for folk but this gun came from Bill Hicks firearms out of Minnesota.The dealer that I bought it from said that he contacted BH customer service and they said send it back to us and we will ship a new one promptly. I should have the replacement by next friday...can't beat that with a stick.

I will give it the Steve's Gunz tune up and then most likely replace the safety with one of his peep sights. The thing that is agrivating in all of this is that the one with the cock eyed sights was smooth as butter already. I am pretty familiar with the Rossi 92s and this one was good if the barrel had been screwed in another 9 degerees. I should have just talked to ADFields as there isn't anybody that knows these 92s better than he! He's a smart cookie and did one of these 92s up for me in 256 win mag. It was the slickest 92 out there and I loved it but a buddy had exhausted his insurrance and needed a trip to the Cancer Center in Chicago and we had to pull out the stops. It was down to that 92 or Dad's 222 and I had to keep Dad's gun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I don't think that we are suppose to advertise for folk but this gun came from Bill Hicks firearms out of Minnesota.The dealer that I bought it from said that he contacted BH customer service and they said send it back to us and we will ship a new one promptly. I should have the replacement by next friday...can't beat that with a stick.

I will give it the Steve's Gunz tune up and then most likely replace the safety with one of his peep sights. The thing that is agrivating in all of this is that the one with the cock eyed sights was smooth as butter already. I am pretty familiar with the Rossi 92s and this one was good if the barrel had been screwed in another 9 degerees. I should have just talked to ADFields as there isn't anybody that knows these 92s better than he! He's a smart cookie and did one of these 92s up for me in 256 win mag. It was the slickest 92 out there and I loved it but a buddy had exhausted his insurrance and needed a trip to the Cancer Center in Chicago and we had to pull out the stops. It was down to that 92 or Dad's 222 and I had to keep Dad's gun.
    That sounds good. I'm relieved.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.