Thread: Savage 99 rebore

Default Savage 99 rebore

Just thinking about owning a Savage 99 in 358 winchester. However buying is cost prohibitive right now since they are a high dollar item. The Savage 300's are everywhere for $500 for a nice one. I thought about buying one to rebore to 358 winchester. My only is that some case OALs for the 358 run 2.75 inches where as the the 300 Savage is 2.60. My question then is.....is the magazine well on the Savae 99 in 300 Savage long enough to house a full length 358 round?

I've been sitting on this, searching my memory because I remember "something" about conversions from 300 Savage (2.60") to 308 (2.80"). It was a pretty common rechamber back in the 60's and 70's, but I seemed to recall that it worked on some 300's and not others.

Did some digging, thought about it, dug some more, and finally dug this up. It helped jar my memory, and all is fixed between the ears for a brief moment or two. With the 358 being the same OAL as the 308, I'm going to opine that the comments apply with that round too:

"I put a .308 barrel on a .300 receiver (before the internal mods done in the late 50s to accommodate the .308/.243/.358 cartridge family, i.e. moving the back of the magazine area originally designed for cartridges with max. 2.600" length to take those with 2.800" length) and couldn't get it to feed at all, even with .30-30 bullets loaded 2.6" LOA. Went back to the .300 Savage barrel/cartridge and all was well with the world once more. Maybe changing or modifying the cartridge guide would have worked, but I never, at that time anyway, thought to try it.

Perhaps those who had successful conversions from the .300 Savage to .308 Winchester were folks who converted later guns (Serial #s 900,000 and above) which had the magazine length and other internal mods necessary to handle cartridges longer than the earlier M1899s/M99s would handle. From personal experience, the earlier ones simply wouldn't do it."
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've been sitting on this, searching my memory because I remember "something" about conversions from 300 Savage (2.60") to 308 (2.80"). It was a pretty common rechamber back in the 60's and 70's, but I seemed to recall that it worked on some 300's and not others.

Did some digging, thought about it, dug some more, and finally dug this up. It helped jar my memory, and all is fixed between the ears for a brief moment or two. With the 358 being the same OAL as the 308, I'm going to opine that the comments apply with that round too:

"I put a .308 barrel on a .300 receiver (before the internal mods done in the late 50s to accommodate the .308/.243/.358 cartridge family, i.e. moving the back of the magazine area originally designed for cartridges with max. 2.600" length to take those with 2.800" length) and couldn't get it to feed at all, even with .30-30 bullets loaded 2.6" LOA. Went back to the .300 Savage barrel/cartridge and all was well with the world once more. Maybe changing or modifying the cartridge guide would have worked, but I never, at that time anyway, thought to try it.

Perhaps those who had successful conversions from the .300 Savage to .308 Winchester were folks who converted later guns (Serial #s 900,000 and above) which had the magazine length and other internal mods necessary to handle cartridges longer than the earlier M1899s/M99s would handle. From personal experience, the earlier ones simply wouldn't do it."
    To be safe I think I'll try to find one in 243 or 308 for the rebore. I haven't talked to Jes Ocumpaugh about this yet. I don't know how easy this would be since the breech end of the barrel isn't exposed.....but then I know he has done it with Remington 760s and Savage 170s. Hmmm might have to call him soon. Might wait till I get a few other projects done first. Like get my 25-20 in a killing mode.....skirl season ain't that far off. Man I like that little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    To be safe I think I'll try to find one in 243 or 308 for the rebore. I haven't talked to Jes Ocumpaugh about this yet. I don't know how easy this would be since the breech end of the barrel isn't exposed.....but then I know he has done it with Remington 760s and Savage 170s. Hmmm might have to call him soon. Might wait till I get a few other projects done first. Like get my 25-20 in a killing mode.....skirl season ain't that far off. Man I like that little gun.
    Sounds like the best plan!

And that 25-20.... Good thing guys didn't figure out how good it was lots sooner! The price would be through the roof by now in that case, as if it isn't already. Just had mine out yesterday, moving it to get at a muzzleloader behind it in the safe. The day almost turned into a 25-20 shoot instead! Like you said, "Man I like that little gun."
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I'm thinking Mainer Mike had Jess rebore one to 358
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That sure rings a bell. Couldn't put a name on it, so I didn't bring it up. Thanks!
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I'm thinking Mainer Mike had Jess rebore one to 358
    Do you know if he was starting out with a 300 Savage or a 308?

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Are all of the spools the same for all the cartridges? IIRC, weren't the 243, 308, and 358 removable box magazine types instead of spool mags? I'm down to one right now, and it's a 30-30, and the things have dried up and blown away in these parts. In any event, a 308 would be the easiest starting point, at least to my way of thinking, with the best chance of being a successful conversion.
    What's a used M99 with original 358 Win. chambering getting to be worth these days? Gotta be mighty spendy!
    Are you stuck on doing this to a 99, or are you open to something like one of the steel-framed Browning Jap or Belgian BLR's already chambered to 358?

I am trying to remember why I sold the .358 Win. Savage 99 in the early 80's. I just was not using it and sold it for $150.00! What the heck is wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    IIRC, weren't the 243, 308, and 358 removable box magazine types instead of spool mags?
    My 358 has the spool mag. My 284 has a removeable box mag, however. Dunno if the spools are different or not.

As for current value, notta clue. I've never considered selling mine, so I just haven't been watching. Probably cause my son-in-law to have a heart attack, or at least or maybe divorce our daughter, if that sweet rifle fell out of the line of inheritance!
    Merle Haggard

I have a model 99A that I bought new around 1975 or so. It's a .308 and has a spool magazine.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am trying to remember why I sold the .358 Win. Savage 99 in the early 80's. I just was not using it and sold it for $150.00! What the heck is wrong with me?
    Same thing that's wrong with the rest of us. Hind sight is 20/20! I sold two Colt Pythons for $300 each back in the 70's. I sold a Savage Fox B double barrel 20 with single trigger for $140. Boy do I wish I had that one back. Nuthin ain't wrong with you that ain't wrong with the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a Savage 99c 308 that I bought to rebore to a 358 and changed my mind for another project. If interested I can send you some pics. this is the clip fed model and not the rotary magazine but the rifle is in nice condition and listed on the for sale page here.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I saw one in Anchorage earlyn 90's in a Cash Alaska store. Had a 3x9 leupold on it for $250. I didn't buy it like a fool. Went back later that day. Gone.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I think there will be a good used one on my table at the Wasilla show this weekend. Look for the 50cal machine gun. That's me.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

A couple of considerations to consider; 1. Savage 99 parts have dried up since the 300 went out of production many years ago. 2. Will the stroke of the action allow drawing a .358 length cartridge from the magazine and feeding it into the barrel. Good Luck!