Thread: Pike On A Fly

Default Pike On A Fly

Which Fly Do You All Recomend For These Hungray Fish Also Which Kinda Leader Should I Use.

Steel leader i use 20lb test and I love to use the old mouse. Throw it in the shallows and just rip i back and watch the wake as those %$&^#$%$## chase it and hit it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

This one got worked over pretty good a few months back....with some good...albeit conflicting info, so try the archives. I like to use cone headed black leaches (articulated or not) with a little flashabou in em. I use Steelon tyable steel leader material usually 30 pound, the twenty can get thrashed after a bit. Make it at least a foot long...to 16 inches so they don't roll on it and cut your leader with their gill plates. Clouser minnows work pretty well too. I use a floating line, with a 12 or 15 pound maxima leader...about 4-6 feet tops...makes it easier to cast.

Some will surely say that 15 to 20 pound mono is enough, no steel...but that will cost you flies and retying time....one little nick makes 20 as strong as 4lb, and will cost you zonker strips.

Default biggest caught on a fly

what is your biggest pike caught on a fly

TeXXan,
    I caught a 44 inch Pike on the fly at Minto Flats on a 6 inch black leech pattern tied with magnum rabbit strips on an eight weight. I used 15 lb tyger wire leaders as they are flexible so that you can tie them on the fly.
    I love Pike fishing on the flyrod!

Cal

I used to fly fish for pike on lower fire lake all the time. I would tie a minow immitation and use a steel leader on my 6wt fly rod, then I would find a suitable weed bed and circle the outter edges until the pike took the bait. It worked fairly well. We even used these fly patterns on regular casting rods with no complaints. It was a blast working a pike in the 5lbs range with a fly rod, much more fun that a casting rod. The fly would become useless after a few pike but I could keep a few dozen on hand.

42" Dead river basin, Michigan's upper peninsula. Personally I grew up using and still like piano wire or a guitar string. My fly of choice would be a Dalenberg diver, with the mouse a close second.

Default Leech . . .

I've had great luck with a black lead eye leech that I add a little flashabou to. The lead eyes make the fly sink a bit when you pause between strips, and rise on the strip so you get both vertical and horizontal motion. There's nothing like watching the torpedo wake intercept your fly! (Unless it's one of those fish that are bad shots like my moose hunting partner . . .!)

Cheers,

SH

Like other people have stated, I think #1 go to fly is the black bunny leech. For surface action it's hard to beat the good ol' Bass Popper! IMHO it outfishes the mouse. Strip it hard to make a LOUD POP! Warning! Produces violent strikes! For leader I like Fenwick Iron Thread 30# splices right to heavy mono w/a surgeons knot.

Talking Alaska Pike

42 inches in the sloughs of the Squirrel River on a 6 wt rod. I was doing a 6 day float and when this big log hit, I was being towed! When I finally got him up to the side of the raft my wife screamed “Cut him loose before he rips the raft” And she was right! So I cut him loose but what a ride!

My son and I fish for these guys every night up near our cabin in the Noatak National Park. 24-32 inched is normal and lots of fun!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

I've had the good luck to be near the Wood River Lakes System and although not well known for it, it's got some honey holes for decent pike. My best was last July 4, 42 inches...second cast of the day....I rowed my buddy to 4 over 38 in the next day and a half while sightfishing during some disgustingly gorgeous weather for southwest Alaska....will that ever return? This size isn't typical...but if ya know where to look...but I guess that's fishin.

Rick did you hear about the Dead River Basin Dam breaking, caused a few problems.

48" on a 5 inch black and white weighted Bunny Leech with a few strips of flashabou. Deer Lake, Michigan's Upper Penn.

Caught a couple hammer handles on a leader with a hook and a couple bear tabs hung on it.........what can I say it was a bet and Pike are not real particular.

Ya my buddy has a cabin on the dead really screwed up his summer. Maybe as the lake fills it will be like the old days when the dead was trout heaven and free of pike

my first on a fly
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.