Thread: Homer Help

Default Homer Help

I usually do my salt water fishing in Whittier and have had some spotty success fishing there in years past because of watercraft range handicaps. I know that fishing in Homer you don't need to go too far for good halibut fishing and have decided that i may try to shift my sights to Homer. My question is, is there any hope to catch other species like lingcod or rockfishin in any numbers in and around Homer or is Homer a halibut only destination. Thanks in advance for your replies.

You'll probably be running about 40 miles to get I to good Ling fishing. Halibut is about half that run

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Year round king salmon plus all the other salmon species, mainly coho, during what is considered "normal" season is a great draw as well.

you never said what type boat an ENG. you have , you can beach launch at Anchor an not go so far 2 or 3 miles out no ling or rock , just Halibut ,
    they have tractor launch there [ or did, not sure ] you can drift or anchor lots of water an tide there , SID

The Anchor Point beach tractor launch is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    you never said what type boat an ENG. you have , you can beach launch at Anchor an not go so far 2 or 3 miles out no ling or rock , just Halibut ,
    they have tractor launch there [ or did, not sure ] you can drift or anchor lots of water an tide there , SID
    I have a 19 foot skiff with with a 40 hp yamaha. Nothing grand but I can still go out on it, i just don't want to get caught in bad weather far from port.

With that rig I wouldn't venture farther than pogi. Good halibut within that range, rockfish if you know where to look.
    I consider 19' marginal for k-bay, and a 40 seems underpowered. I am confident with my boy in a 20' bay runner with a 90, big enough to be safe, fast enough to beat the weather...or the fog.
    IMHO your rig is kinda sketchy for k-bay.
    Of course, I've only been running every day all summer for a decade....ymmv.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Your biggest issue is your size of boat. Once you pass flat island staying about 1/2 mile off shore you'll start finding good rock fish the father south you go.

You must pay close attention to tides and weather. The tide rip is nothing to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You will be fine fishing Gull Island, Off China Poot, Tutka, Yukon, and a couple miles off the Green can off the spit. I have a similar rig and would not venture any farther than that. Your best bet for solid Butt fishing is going to be get some side bunks on your trailer and tractor launch off of Anchor Point. You only need to go 3 or 4 miles tops to get into some good fishing. As with anywhere watch your wind, tides and be in before the day breeze kicks up.

As others have said you would have to go at least to Port Chatham for lingcod and Flat Is for consistent Rockfish which would be out of your range for your vessel. Good Halibut fishing closer and if you look for some bottom structure in the outer bay you can find some black rockfish and a few other species. I wouldn't go past Pogi as Homerdave said.

Thank you everybody for the insightful replies. The tractor launch seems like the best option from the replies and I may try it this summer if the opportunity arises.

make sure you have high an strong GUIDE ON's it will pay in the long run if you use the tractor launch , as you could be riding
    a 2 FT or more chop coming onto the launch,