Thread: Suggest a Matanuska Takeout

Default Suggest a Matanuska Takeout

For all that have done a similar float. What is a good takeout for an overnight trip from Hicks Creek?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Chickaloon. The Lodge looked as though it was shut down last time I was up that way and I had heard the owner was trying to move South. There is a state park just down River of it where you should be able to take out as well.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

There is another pullout on river right just before you reach the confluence with Kings River. It's got a pullout off the highway and good access to the water. Adds another 10 river miles from the Chickaloon takeout already mentioned, has some braids, and is generally closer to the highway, but you get to run NOVA bend.

I've read on the forum about the Kings River takeout that Jhole mentioned. As I recall, it's got a small grade up to the road. As long as you don't need to load directly to a trailer it should be useable.

Does anything prevent running all the way from Hicks Creek to Knik? What is the highest class you'll encounter?

Here is probably the best description describing the various sections of the Matanuska: http://www.alaska.org/detail/matanuska-river

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I can plan an overnight Mat trip later this summer. The King Mountain Lodge takeout is no longer an option. It's closed, posted "No Trespassing" and apparently patrolled to keep the partiers away. The King Mountain SRA just downstream is probably an option but it's only a little over 20 miles (4 hours) from Hicks Creek. I think I'll plan Hicks to Kings River (30+ miles) for an overnighter.

Today I floated with 2 other cat boaters and a kayaker through the Lionhead section from Caribou Creek to Hicks Creek. Fun, splashy class III at a nice level. No pics due to my phone being donated to the river gods. It was time for an upgrade anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Does anything prevent running all the way from Hicks Creek to Knik? What is the highest class you'll encounter?
    Not really.. NOVA bend or NOVA rapid is probably the biggest single feature, and that can be floated past.. Going to be more about picking the correct braid so you dont end up in a shallow dead end.

Floated from Hicks to King Mt. on Sunday. Was a great trip, averaged 5.5 mph with total float time around 4 hours. Got off the water just before the upriver winds really took off! Used the access road off the highway just before the Hicks bridge for the first time to put in. Have gone down there a few times to see about getting a truck onto the beach and it was always a no go because of steep embankments. With some careful driving and 4-low it was no problem to get a truck and trailer down to the river's edge. Another put-in option.