Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hearing Protection

Those ear muff types with the knobs that are supposed to shut off loud noises, and amplify normal volume sounds, like conversation,,,,,.

Do those REALLY WORK ? Or are they of doubtful value?

I've tried a couple of the cheapy models and they DON'T work even enough to notice a difference.

I am, therefore reluctant to spend the big bucks it takes for the expensive ones.

Whatever you know about this, or your thoughts will be appreciated.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I would go to a rifle range see what there using and ask if you can try it out.

How cheap are you talking about? The prices are way down from what they used to be. I have a pair of Peltors and they work great. I still use double hearing protection (foamies), but they work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    How cheap are you talking about? The prices are way down from what they used to be. I have a pair of Peltors and they work great. I still use double hearing protection (foamies), but they work as advertised.
    I'd likely pay quite a bit if they served the purpose. Which would be to bring the volume up to what it is without hearing protection, rather than just protecting my ear balls.

I don't expect they would solve a hearing problem I already have, but I envision stomping around in the swamps wearing ear protection, yet also having the protection I would derive from being able to hear what is goin on around me.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Being around a shooting range a lot, I wear electronic hearing protection all of the time. I do not buy the 'cheap' ones as they tend to not be up to par.
    I would be wearing them out hunting though as they tend to be a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Being around a shooting range a lot, I wear electronic hearing protection all of the time. I do not buy the 'cheap' ones as they tend to not be up to par.
    I would be wearing them out hunting though as they tend to be a little too much.
    More or less the same here. I was with a buddy at the range and he let me try his. Wow. A few days later we were out in the hills and I saw them hanging in his truck, and asked to try them as we wandered through the bushes.

Like to drove me nuts. I didn't make it a quarter mile before they were hanging around my neck. I double up at the range (foamies and standard cups) and that seems to work fine. I realized that combo was especially good for cutting out idiot conversations around me. Finally decided my wallet was staying in my pocket, because I didn't really WANT to hear normal sounds any better at the range. Why would I pay extra to hear fools?
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Anything is better than nothing. Do everything you can to save your hearing. Forty years ago I didn't bother with wearing hearing protection. Now I get to hear a constant ringing in my ears 7X24. It does come with an up side though. When my wife's voice gets really high I can't hear her.

The best your going get is to improve near-field hearing in front of you. Side and back-field not so much. Do you have a hearing aid now?

I agree with 450Grampa. “Anything better than nothing”

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What do you mean by "too much"?

Too much amplification, or too much weight/bother?

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    More or less the same here. I was with a buddy at the range and he let me try his. Wow. A few days later we were out in the hills and I saw them hanging in his truck, and asked to try them as we wandered through the bushes.

Like to drove me nuts. I didn't make it a quarter mile before they were hanging around my neck. I double up at the range (foamies and standard cups) and that seems to work fine. I realized that combo was especially good for cutting out idiot conversations around me. Finally decided my wallet was staying in my pocket, because I didn't really WANT to hear normal sounds any better at the range. Why would I pay extra to hear fools?
    Do you recall which brand, they were?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The best your going get is to improve near-field hearing in front of you. Side and back-field not so much. Do you have a hearing aid now?

I agree with 450Grampa. “Anything better than nothing”
    I have no hearing aid, or plans for one.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Do you recall which brand, they were?

SOTN
    Notta clue, but I know they were the best you can buy- just the kind of guy he is. (He's a doc and well off.) He started wearing them while shooting trap, which he does a lot of.

It tells me a lot that he was wearing them at the range, but leaving them hanging in his truck as we started into the hills. I put in so much time in the hills and so little at the range, cup and foamies will do me just fine.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

450grandpa:

Same here, pretty much.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    Forty years ago I didn't bother with wearing hearing protection. Now I get to hear a constant ringing in my ears 7X24.
    Don't feel alone....Yep, all the shooting I've done and being in a rock 'n roll band for years took it's toll. I try to wear protection now to save what hearing I have left, but the damage has already been done. The problem was that way back then nobody talked about it much at all. So you young guys heed our warnings....I mean if you still wanna understand what their saying on the tv without blowing everybody else out of the room cause you gotta turn it up so loud.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I tried some for hunting, they work for me (High Freq Hearing loss) BUT they are hot!! Like wearing earmuffs when it's just too hot for such things. On a super cold day yeah, but the batteries don't last that long and you don't realize the batteries are dying until they're dead - at least that's my experience with them.

I'm looking at the ones that go in the ear, Cooler, amplifies sound, cuts loud sudden noises, about $700.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, and now Appleseeds!

Here is my experience with mid priced, $150, electronic muffs.

I purchased them for Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinics. Most folks use .22 and about 10-20% use centerfire.

They have volume control and amplify sound from below normal conversation to I can hear what somebody is saying across the parking lot or whispering within 30-50 feet.

They do a great job cutting off / muffling gunfire in your immediate area. If the gunfire is 20 feet away or on the next range not so much.

I use them. Volume set to zero so they function just like a standard muff. If there is centerfire on the line I also use foam plugs.

My conclusion FWIW & YMMV... If you are alone or with a few friends they are ok. For ranges not so much. Because I use mine at busy ranges I would not buy again and stick to foam and regular muffs.

As DoughNut said there are some in the ear electronic plugs that are supposed to work great in the field. They are very expensive though.

Smitty. when I shot competition clays a lot of shooters wore them and they did work well, I think out hunting they will get hung up on limbs and feel heavy and such...
    Heck, you wont need your hearing much longer anywayz as everyone now texts each other - even when in the same room!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Smitty. when I shot competition clays a lot of shooters wore them and they did work well, I think out hunting they will get hung up on limbs and feel heavy and such...
    Heck, you wont need your hearing much longer anywayz as everyone now texts each other - even when in the same room!
    Bears are not required to text before biting, and how would they get my number?

I just remembered. Until BO signs that EO, them Bars won't even have their Free Cell Phns.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Good hearing is essential if you want to be a good hunter and not have problems with bears. I have been warned two times by bears that I did not know were their, to not come any closer. If the bear did not tell me to keep away or I did not hear it. I might not be here today.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Good hearing is essential if you want to be a good hunter and not have problems with bears. I have been warned two times by bears that I did not know were their, to not come any closer. If the bear did not tell me to keep away or I did not hear it. I might not be here today.
    That's what I'm talkin about.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast