Thread: Eagle River questions

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Eagle River questions

I'm thinking of floating Eagle River tomorrow. I have never done it before. I have jettmars book and have looked at the descriptions in it. I read the ik report from April, I assume the water has come up since then. Any recommendations or advice? I haven't decided which section to try, I definitely won't be doing campground rapid tomorrow, maybe sometime this summer if it's doable. I don't have base access but I suppose I could get it. Thanks for any input.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I did it about a month ago. Like you said, water levels were low, but have certainly come up. There's not much to it. We put in at mile 7 after walking down the 1/3 mile trail to the main stem of the river. There are a few sweepers to be aware of, but nothing that is difficult to get around at all. As long as you take out before the bridge (there are large signs on the left warning of impending rapids), you'll be fine.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks Brian. I worried about the fire so we floated from the campground down to ft rich. It was a great trip.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Excellent! I've never done that part of the river.

I thought base access from Eagle River was closed as of last year? I found this on the base website:

Entering the installation from Eagle River by raft, kayak, boat, etc. is prohibited.

https://jber.isportsman.net/

Its unfortunate because that's a fun section below the highway.

Anybody that needs a boating partner for the bridge to bridge section (Campground Rapid) let me know. I'm looking for boating partners. I've run it prior but last week the right side had a couple of sweepers in the runout. The left side cheat route was open.

Default I noticed that too and I wondered....?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I thought base access from Eagle River was closed as of last year? I found this on the base website:

Entering the installation from Eagle River by raft, kayak, boat, etc. is prohibited.

https://jber.isportsman.net/

Its unfortunate because that's a fun section below the highway.

Does anyone know the truth about this? I know it was not raftable last year due to the bridge construction but it is runnable now. I hope they did not close it permanently, that is one of my favorite local sections.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewatertj View Post
    Does anyone know the truth about this? I know it was not raftable last year due to the bridge construction but it is runnable now. I hope they did not close it permanently, that is one of my favorite local sections.
    I answered my own question and there is no rafting onto base period even if you get a recreation permit. This is a huge bummer

Condolences to the family. A reminder to all to have the utmost respect for fast, cold, glacial rivers.

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/...n-eagle-river/