Thread: POW blacktails in November

Default POW blacktails in November

I am going to go and hunt POW blacktails in the Hollis area, in November. I have never hunted deer, shoot this will only be my 3rd season hunting. I have always wanted to go to POW and just decided to pull the trigger.

With that said, I know that I shouldn't even be asking, but any advice that can be shared or pm'd would be extremely helpful.

I still need to rent a truck and figure out how/who to transport the meat back.

Another question or 2 is wolves and blackies, what should I expect and what are the possibilities of maybe adding one of them on my trip?

In advance, thank you for any advice and/or suggestions that come my way.

Thanks

When are you going in November? I hunted POW last year during Thanksgiving and didn't see a single buck in four days. Locals reported the same, but two weeks earlier the deer would be running in two at a time when called. If you have the leeway in your schedule, I'd go sometime during the first two weeks. Hunting post-rut can be difficult - or such was my experience.

http://www.harentals.com/ these folks rent cars/trucks in Hollis. I never rented from them but talked to them at length. You can also rent cars in Ketch and ferry them over. Rutting activity is usually earlier in November around the first/second week.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    I am going to go and hunt POW blacktails in the Hollis area, in November. I have never hunted deer, shoot this will only be my 3rd season hunting. I have always wanted to go to POW and just decided to pull the trigger.

With that said, I know that I shouldn't even be asking, but any advice that can be shared or pm'd would be extremely helpful.

I still need to rent a truck and figure out how/who to transport the meat back.

Another question or 2 is wolves and blackies, what should I expect and what are the possibilities of maybe adding one of them on my trip?

In advance, thank you for any advice and/or suggestions that come my way.

Thanks
    As Brian said I was down there about the same time as him and didn't see any bucks. Tons of Does, calling didn't work either then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When are you going in November? I hunted POW last year during Thanksgiving and didn't see a single buck in four days. Locals reported the same, but two weeks earlier the deer would be running in two at a time when called. If you have the leeway in your schedule, I'd go sometime during the first two weeks. Hunting post-rut can be difficult - or such was my experience.
    I'm going 11/2-11/7! Unfortunately single day each way makes it a 4 day trip as well. Hopefully, I will have some success.

Wolf will not be open ... the Black Bear have pretty much denned up by then. There could be a few still out but not many.

4 days is a pretty fast hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Wolf will not be open ... the Black Bear have pretty much denned up by then. There could be a few still out but not many.

4 days is a pretty fast hunt.
    Thanks for the info, I hadn't really dived in to the regs yet. Yeah it is but its during my time off and really between the kids stuff and work it is my only chance. It'll be my first time hunting deer so it will be interesting. I have been wanting to go to POW since I moved here. So I am excited just to go there.

What about any fishing options? I also have been getting into surf casting but don't know if that is a realistic option for this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Thanks for the info, I hadn't really dived in to the regs yet. Yeah it is but its during my time off and really between the kids stuff and work it is my only chance. It'll be my first time hunting deer so it will be interesting. I have been wanting to go to POW since I moved here. So I am excited just to go there.

What about any fishing options? I also have been getting into surf casting but don't know if that is a realistic option for this trip.
    Don't try to cram too much into a short trip. If you're going to deer hunt, then concentrate on hunting deer.

Google Earth has hi-res imagery along the Klawock-Hollis and Hydaburg highways.

I'd look for meadows and clearcuts next to the road, or a short hike in. Get a good call, learn how to use it (everyone uses them a bit differently) and use it on the downwind edges of clearings.

Take the meat back in a fish box as excess baggage on you jet flight. The other option is FedEx overnight from Frontier Shipping at the mall in Ketchikan.

A buddy and I spent two weeks deer hunting on POW in Nov. about 12 years ago and out of the 100+ deer we saw, we did not see a single buck. A few of the deer we only saw briefly, so we weren't able to tell if they had antlers or not but everything that we had a chance to look over, we could not put antlers on to save our lives. I can't remember the dates in Nov. but I do remember that we were home in plenty of time to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    ....so we weren't able to tell if they had antlers or not but everything that we had a chance to look over, we could not put antlers on to save our lives....
    I've actually been known to use mental telepathy to actually try and grow horns on deer when I was a kid back in the lower 48....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It's been a lot of years since I hunted pow but I remember the high doe ratio.

I knew some of the locals and they were complaining about certain other locals that were jack lighting the bucks.

Just look around at the guys reporting having taken nice bucks. They are much better beer drinkers than deer hunters.

I take nice bucks .... and drink good beer also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Don't try to cram too much into a short trip. If you're going to deer hunt, then concentrate on hunting deer.
    Yeah, I started thinking that as well. Plus, I can catch up on some reading.

Thanks all for the advice!! I seriously cant wait to go in this trip!!

Well, got the truck reserved, cabin rented, air tickets bought, and pretty much all the gear. Just gotta reserve a ferry ticket. But, I was told there is a grocery store in Hollis outside of the ferry dock. Is this correct? Or can I go to a store in Ketchikan before getting on the ferry?

There are better grocery stores to go to in Klawock and Craig 20-30 minutes drive once you arrive from the Inter-Island Ferry Authority in Hollis. You could also get stuff from the grocery store in Ketchikan across the street from the ferry.

For hunting concentrate on the uphill edges of muskegs adjacent to steep big timber terrain (even better if is southern or western facing for sun exposure), and for gosh sakes drive a ways and then get out and walk a ways because most of the folks who do not see deer on POW don't get out of their rigs.

Also lots of logging roads have water bar ditches that are basically impassable with a truck/suv don't do anything stupid to get yourself stranded. Expect and prepare for heavy rain every day, and high winds. Nothing sucks more than to have raingear that doesn't dry out over night. Oh for that matter I like this gun oil that is in between a grease and an oil (comes in a little white jar with a screw on lid) darn can't think of the name at the moment but it will protect your rifle in the rain or from the wet vegetation.

The Hill Bar in Craig is the only watering hole on the Island, and check out Log Cabin Sporting Goods also in Craig.

Sobie2

Supporting Member

the rut seems to vary depending on temperatures. still should be some bucks in the rut. beginning to mid october has always been the slowest hunting in my opinion. no groceries in hollis las i knew, i grew up there. get out away from other hunters and pressure and there are plenty of deer...with antlers. sounds like some people had some bad luck but make no mistake there are plenty of bucks. bring a trout pole if you want to do some fishing. otherwise get a boat. still would be some very dark cohos in the rivers.