Thread: PWS shrimp reports

Default PWS shrimp reports

How is everybody doing this year? Really good catches for me so far. Even with just 4 pots.

I don't shrimp a whole lot, but I've had my most consistent numbers this year, stayed away from the crowd

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Old spots seem about the same, got turned onto a new area that produces big numbers of large shrimp.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Shrimping has been pretty good. We have been averaging probably 1-2 gallons per 4 pot string pulling twice a day.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

We have done well, even in the areas where the comm guys were hammering. Found a good use for the left over fat from the seals we've been harvesting ~ great bait!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Went out last weekend but was unable to go to where I wanted do to motor problems. Tried a new area and caught 563 in 2 days. A decent haul for a new area.

I have been crushing them in all of my typical spots. The opener was the worst weekend for me, but now I am pulling in 4-5 gallon average per pull. I have even got a few over night 8-9 gallon pulls. It is always nice to have to use another 5gallon bucket to put them in. I have been finding the deeper the better. Deep deep rky structure 650-700'

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I have been crushing them in all of my typical spots. The opener was the worst weekend for me, but now I am pulling in 4-5 gallon average per pull. I have even got a few over night 8-9 gallon pulls. It is always nice to have to use another 5gallon bucket to put them in. I have been finding the deeper the better. Deep deep rky structure 650-700'
    Wow I need to follow you, I have been happy with 3-5 gallon pulls.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Hit a couple of 8 gallon pulls too. Even got 8 gallons out of 3 pots after we lost a pot. Glad that everybody is doing well. Just got back from the weekend and put away 13 qts of tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went yesterday and stayed close. Tried a couple old spots and did okay after my first 2hr soak (60) but the last 3.5 hour soak I only got 40 - kind of had my hopes up. So closed with 101 after 7 hours soak time - far from stellar.

I have to prospect some - and find secret holes - One guy yesterday set 60' away from my bouy...I didn't hook him but I'd of been pissed if he would have crossed me. He could have I guess watched me lay out my string. There were several boats in the area. But if he didn't watch me then how would he know if I followed the shore or went perpendicular......asshats.

I started the season a couple of days after the opener, and did really well but each successive trip has been worse and worse. I too need to start ranging around and prospecting but I usually have extra people (friends, family, co-workers) and I feel the need to produce so we can share everything. It sucks to prospect with them and pull blanks... so I usually stay in spots I know.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Finally got out for the first time this season yesterday. Soaked the pots in a spot I've been using for years for ~7 hours and ended up with a bit over 3 gallons of whole shrimp, ~120. I was surprised at how many really large shrimp were in the pots. The first time I tried that spot 5 years ago I had over 5 gallons on an all day soak, but it's been declining ever since. Compared to last season both qty and size of shrimp were up. Hopefully that's a good sign for the season.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.