Thread: halibut in homer

Default halibut in homer

I've been out the last two days fishing at the bluff and compass rose. We did ok landing some 10-15 pound halibut and one about 30 but are looking for a consistently bit bigger fish. I have family in town and would like to land a couple 30 pound plus fish. Can anyone help out? Is this too much to expect? I have one more day set aside to take them fishing before they leave and was leaning towards Flat Island. How deep? Where? We are using herring for bait. Is squid better? Thanks in advance.

Head towards the fingers... For some reason this year the bigger ones haven't shown up late they have in the past.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would try flat or poggy pt. We have done well in both areas this year. The fish seem to be smaller this year but a lot of action . We have been out 8 times this year and the biggest one was 44#. We throw back an average of 8 to 10 fish and only keep fish in th 25# and up range, make sure you have plenty of bait. We use herring and cod for bait. The cod seems to work better as I tie a 2 hook rig and it seems that every time they go for the cod first. We fish in 160 to 210 feet anchoring most of the time. Look at your chart for drop offs make a drift over it and if you catch a nice fish drop the anchor. I hope that helps.

Default anchor point

Try going out of Anchor Point; not nearly the fishing pressure there and it's close to the halibut grounds.

Default No advice, just a report

Went out on a charter in Homer yesterday ... our experience lines up with what everyone else is saying. Very good captain and crew, but couldn't find big fish anywhere, even past Elizabeth Island. He finally took us to a chicken hole where everyone limited out on 15-30 lb. fish within a few hours. The captain was clearly frustrated that he couldn't find bigger fish anywhere. One of the deckhands had just gotten back from a 2-day trip off the north end of Kodiak and said that they had 11 fish on the boat over 100 lbs.

Water temp is colder this year.. This could have something to do with it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Water temp is colder this year.. This could have something to do with it.
    Same thing last year.....I caught most of my 100 pound+ fish last days of July thru August.