Thread: Whittier to Valdez

Default Whittier to Valdez

I bought a 28' twin jet boat and am wanting to take it out of Valdez and Whittier. Here is my question.... How far (by boat) is valdez from Whittier? Is it worth towing this Big ***** Boat to Valdez or would it be better to launch in Whittier and drive it to Valdez?

Thanks for the input!

It is about 79nm btwn the two depending on route. Easily doable depending on sea state.

Quote Originally Posted by stud_rudd View Post
    I bought a 28' twin jet boat and am wanting to take it out of Valdez and Whittier. Here is my question.... How far (by boat) is valdez from Whittier? Is it worth towing this Big ***** Boat to Valdez or would it be better to launch in Whittier and drive it to Valdez?

Thanks for the input!
    It is roughly 90 to 100 nautical miles from Whittier to Valdez give or take a little.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

Thank you!

Just under 2 hours on a good day with the hammer most of the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love making that trip. Usually 2.5 hours in my boat. We like to leave early am or late pm to avoid the afternoon chop heading into Valdez. Did it mid May last year and was on high alert dodging icebergs.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just plotted a fairly direct route and came up with approx. 77 miles from Whittier to Valdez. Ran across August of last year for the Valdez Women's Silver Salmon Derby. Beautiful trip. I wont be towing the boat over the pass anymore.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

The shortest route is normally got a lot of ice in the way so add 10 miles to the 80nm charted course.

Google Earth is your friend, love it for planning trips and estimating fuel needed for longer trips. Lots of Coast Guard chatter about people running out of gas in the Sound this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Google Earth is your friend, love it for planning trips and estimating fuel needed for longer trips. Lots of Coast Guard chatter about people running out of gas in the Sound this weekend.
    I was hearing that too. 4 separate calls near Valdez that I can recall. Strange.