Thread: Chena River (Fairbanks Area) Pike and Sheefish

Default Chena River (Fairbanks Area) Pike and Sheefish

Hey guys, looking for some help. Up to this point I have only fished lakes. I would like to target Pike/Sheefish in the Chena and have no idea where a good spot is to access productive areas of the river from the shore. I have a 14 foot aluminum with a 9.9hp motor but am unsure if it is suitable for the Chena. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

I here there are some pike on Ft Wainwright, need a RAP though. Check the sloughs off the Chena for pike, I'm not making any promises never heard of pike being caught off the Chena other then on base.

I would highly doubt that you could find sheefish on the chena as well, I've caught a few Whitefish but that's it.

I would try Minto Flats for pike much better area, and your boat would probably be fine back in Minto (bring a GPS and mark waypoints to find your way home!)

good luck!

You can find pike in a lot of old gravel pits, both in south Fairbanks and along the Tanana in North Pole. The one everybody knows about is Outboard Pit, so I'm not giving anything away there. But there are a lot of pike pits around town. There are pike in the sloughs but they typically aren't suitable for motorboats and the fish tend to be small. You can try Badger Slough for fishing from shore, but those pike tend to be very small.

I do know people who've caught sheefish at the mouth of the Chena but I understand that it's very seasonal and there aren't a lot of them.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I have had good hard water results on the lakes in the Tanana River Drainage but really want to explore the rivers around the North Pole/Fairbanks area. It stands to reason that a river could help support big growth in these two species.