Thread: Yamaha Grizzly 700 stator bad

Angry Yamaha Grizzly 700 stator bad

Anyone else have their stator go out on their 700 grizzly? All though mine is a 2007, I am the original owner and have only 800 miles on the machine. Definitely a design flaw that Yamaha has corrected with the additional oil line, supposedly. The rub is they are not standing behind it and the cost is $600 or so just in parts. Not right.

Just a thought- have you checked out a video and priced parts? Parts are 1/4 the listed price online. Sorry you aren't getting support.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHHZxJs9sxM
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...r-upgrade.html

Quote Originally Posted by Putzpilot View Post
    Anyone else have their stator go out on their 700 grizzly? All though mine is a 2007, I am the original owner and have only 800 miles on the machine. Definitely a design flaw that Yamaha has corrected with the additional oil line, supposedly. The rub is they are not standing behind it and the cost is $600 or so just in parts. Not right.
    I am all about customer service, but I think you are asking and expecting waaaay too much. I don't care how low your mileage is; expecting a manufacturer warranty on a 9-10 year old machine is ludicrous.

I have a 2007 Grizzly 700 and the water pump seal started leaking at about 2,500 miles. While researching how to fix the seal I stumbled onto the topic of stators going bad in certain yr Grizzly's including mine. Although mine was charging fine and it didn't look discolored, I replaced the stator while I had the side cover off when I was replacing the water pump seal. I bought one of these and so far so good. It's not that hard to do.

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/produ...zzly-2007-2014

Thanks gents for your replies. Yep, I've watched the videos and surveyed the online parts online. Seems the stator itself varies quite a bit in price. $100-$380, just not sure if they are in fact the same thing.

Regarding warranty: if this was a ware item I'd fully agree with you, but this was obviously a design error. It should have been a recall item. Yamaha changed the way stators are being additionally cooled with a new cover and additional oil lines to stator. That's my rub. They new it was a problem and designed a fix but didn't notify the owners or stand behind the required upgrade. Not good business or the right thing to do.
    Machine has been well cared for and not abused. Hence the low mileage for the age.

Reason for op was to see what others have done to fix the problem.

Had 2 2007 Grizzlies... Stator finally went bad at 2600 miles. Just replaced it without doing the update. Figured it had lasted that long and I wouldn't own it another 2500miles.

Kinda of a pain in the butt job, FWIW, we bought an RM stator I believe and it went bad almost immediately, didn't seek warranty on that and just ponied up and got the oem part. Problem solved.

As stated parts online are waaaaaay cheaper.

The problem comes when the machine is sitting at idle and is off camber and the stator gets zero oil on it thus heating it excessively on the coil at 10'o'clock. When riding along this isn't a problem but excessive idling can result in premature failure.

What I heard some guys would do is slightly overfill the oil maybe 18-1/4" higher on the dipstick and that seemed to help.

Lots and lots of information about this topic on grizzly central forums.

Well, bought all the parts from local dealer and installed the upgrade. Original stator was definely burned out, as one part was quite blackened. Half a day project but simple enough. Charging system working as it should now. Additional exterior oil line to stator should prevent a duplicate experience.