Thread: Grizzly Meat

Default Grizzly Meat

I searched a bit on the forum but most answers are pretty dated, unless I missed something and this may be more of a question for the Processing and Meat section but this gets way more traffic.

Spring griz meat related, what's the best processed product and who will actually process griz? I have heard some places won't touch the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn's in Anchorage will process grizzly meat. I haven't had him do a grizzly, but have had his bacon burger processed out of black bear and it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Glenn's in Anchorage will process grizzly meat. I haven't had him do a grizzly, but have had his bacon burger processed out of black bear and it was fantastic.
    Thanks. I have a four quarters and some straps that need to be done.

glenns does great work and did one of my grizz and it turned out excellent. we had Italian Sausage made as well as burger

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Glenn's chorizo is pretty good as well. I don't know how much pork shoulder he would add to bear meat.

My dad is using Pioneer meats in wasilla to smoke up hot dogs, Polish, and pepper hunter sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Glenn's and Mat-Valley meats for caribou (not bear), but I will go back to Glenn's any day over Mat-Valley meats. Glenn was much cheaper, and I did not have fur in all my meat either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    I've used Glenn's and Mat-Valley meats for caribou (not bear), but I will go back to Glenn's any day over Mat-Valley meats. Glenn was much cheaper, and I did not have fur in all my meat either.
    Mat-Valley processes furbearers too, or do you mean hair...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I plan on turning most of him into summer sausage, hot dogs and maybe some hunter sticks too. I didn't see where Glen does summer sausage, anyone know for sure?

Last I knew, Glenn contracted with Indian Valley for cured items like sausage and bacon. It would be worth asking him.

we are doing a few hundred pounds of grizz/brown bear meat this week. Doing the italian sausage, bacon cheddar burger, ground etc.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Ive had great luck with pioneer. Lisa does small batch processing with your meat only.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be back in the valley soon and I need to get it wrapped up.

honestly, maybe turn the quarters into sausage, but save the straps for roasts. I've saved them for that from my 2 brown bears and they are excellent eating. just sear good then cover with broth and cook until they fork apart. my bears were far less game-y tasting than any moose i've ever eaten and the meat was incredibly lean.