Thread: What to do before sitting in stand?

Default What to do before sitting in stand?

First, I would like to thank you all for your questions and comments. I like to read as much as possible and have gathered much need information. I am very new to baiting bears. One question I have is, what do you guys do before sitting in your stand? I'm afraid if I look around my scent will create something new and the bears won't be coming in. I've seen bear on camera but have not been able to get it to come in when I'm sitting. If anyone can share some ideas. This green horn will be very much appreciated!

Check the times the bears come into your stand. Id bet that it is nearly the same time every time they come in, in a pattern such as daily, everyother day, etc. Also, I make sure to scan the surroundings for bears, of course.. I was about 30 yards, or 5 more seconds from becoming a bear snack.. You never know what you will walk up on. What I do is take a piece of my clothing, like an old shirt or socks and hang them or leave them, so they get used to my scent... Not sure if it works, but something that I do does.. I personally dont believe after the bears start coming in that they would even car if your there or not, to them food is food.. I mean black bears get into neighborhoods loaded with people just for trash.. 1 person vs some quality pounds of food, who wouldnt take the bait, right??

I review trail cam footage over several days worth of activity to pattern the bears, I usually sit a few hours before they tend to hit the station make sure i piss far away from the station so im not doing the "dance" in the stand. as I walk in I throw a fair amount of small cut up chunks of maple bacon all through the woods and some around the barrel. climb the stand open a book and wait.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I take a can of Sterno and a tin pie plate, set it up near the barrel and cook some honey while I'm in the stand. Putting out more scent is NEVER a bad thing.

What I do is take a piece of my clothing, like an old shirt or socks and hang them or leave them, so they get used to my scent... Not sure if it works, but something that I do does.

What he said (not sure about socks) and I change the shirt every day with the shirt I wore all day.

When I say socks, I dont mean your leftover dirty gym socks. Haha, just really anything that smells like you

Thanks everyone!

Since I like to chew gum on stand, I chew a piece and stick it to a tree near the bait when I am baiting. I also like to spit a lot around the bait site as well as touch a lot of things around the bait site , so as to condition them to my sent as much as possible.

Sit quietly. With minimal movement. Bears in our area are super spooky. Plus sit all night! Our bears tend to come in late even if whey show up on camera during the day. Plus, look further out around the bait. Bears circle before coming in. Often u can spot them and prepare the gun or bow so less noise as the bear is in better view or shooting lane or at the barrel. For example, my dad sat 34 hours straight and on Friday 13th in May he shot a 10' brown on the bait! He actually came in at 8:30am, my dad was ready to call it quits when he heard him coming in fast n hard. He had a toilet n everything up in stand as not to get down.

When I shot my 7' blackie in '10 I tied a sweaty tee shirt to a tree. At 2am I shot him. At 1:58am I had a trail cam pic of him sniffing said shirt! It had been there a few days. Years later shot another bear and she circled in smelling every branch I sprayed 907 bait em scent, not sure what kind, cherry or anise, but it confused her enough and had her attention to forget about my scent trail. I thought she was another 7' hahahahaha. Darkness can fool the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk