Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna tailrace

Default Eklutna tailrace

Stopped by on my home tonight. Fourteen cars in the parking lot and no sign of kings yet.

I was there yesterday and walked around for about 1 hr seen no fish and no bites

was out Sunday had a good strike seen one king landed and 4 or five rollers fished from 5:30 am till 2:00 pm only one fish landed

Finaly some one seeing fish.

Only gets better from now on

Any updates on the tailrace?

I was at the tail race Thursday 3:30am till 7:30am seen No fish Landed

Was there lastnight and saw probably 8 fish landed between 10:30 thru 1:30. They are there.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I fished Eklutna Tailrace for the first time today. Saw fish jumping, rolling, and flopping left and right for the entire three hours that I was there. No more than a few minutes between fish sightings... but I saw only 1 fish landed, and 1 other hooked (and lost). The bank was pretty well lined with people on both sides.

Is there a trick to fishing this locale? Pretty much everyone was throwing spinners, which the fish seemed to have no interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by TTSS View Post
    I fished Eklutna Tailrace for the first time today. Saw fish jumping, rolling, and flopping left and right for the entire three hours that I was there. No more than a few minutes between fish sightings... but I saw only 1 fish landed, and 1 other hooked (and lost). The bank was pretty well lined with people on both sides.

Is there a trick to fishing this locale? Pretty much everyone was throwing spinners, which the fish seemed to have no interest in.

That's pretty normal for the tailrace. I wish I could explain why the fish are so tight lipped there, my theory is based the difference in temperature from the power plant discharge and the Knik river. FWIW its a little hotter early in the morning... by little hotter you might see few more caught than usual.

Stopped by last night around 9pm. Saw several landed the largest of which maybe went 15#. I actually broke out the rod and fished a little.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Yeah I have been there for almost two weeks now. I still don't understand why people group up at the mouth and into the creek. I see maybe one or two caught by bait fisherman or lures. Where I go I hook up at least once every half hour. Fought and released so many in there this year. Best year I have seen it there. You would think people would catch on when I'm constantly hooking fish.

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    Yeah I have been there for almost two weeks now. I still don't understand why people group up at the mouth and into the creek. I see maybe one or two caught by bait fisherman or lures. Where I go I hook up at least once every half hour. Fought and released so many in there this year. Best year I have seen it there. You would think people would catch on when I'm constantly hooking fish.
    Interesting - I was fishing/watching others well upstream from the river. Are you fishing bait or lures? Thanks.

Default Use a fly

image.jpgFly or hook with yarn in the mainstream.

Default .

image.jpgFishing has been good

Anyone been there today?
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Fished for a couple of hours this evening. Didn't see anything caught.

Was there for a little bit last night and didn't catch anything. I think i am going to try out between 3-5 AM

I stopped by the tailrace this afternoon and cannot believe how crowded it was. Thank god I have a boat to fish from. People were literally fishin elbow to elbow and so many cars that they were parked all the way out to the road. Totally combat fishin. What a cluster f@#k. Simply rediculous. The fish are there fur sure. Saw lots of them jumpin and rollin but not much catching. Maybe best to go early or late. Just my opinion but Advertising that spot to the public was the worst thing that ever happened to that fishery. Garbage/trash and used line everwhere. They have ruined what used to be my favorite spot. Guna sell my fishing gear and take a nitting class im thinking. Ha Ha Ha...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I totally agree with you 110% That is why I only fish their during the week right after work when it is less busy. I like to go fishing to get away from people not to be around them. This is one of the main reasons I am looking at boats to buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast