Thread: Field or Water

Default Field or Water

So, I signed my offer letter and I will be officially moving to Fairbanks then end of June. I'm debating on selling some or all of my decoys to save space/weight to move. I currently have 15 honker floaters, a dozen mallards, 3 pintail, 3 widgeion and half a dozen teal, mojo, stand, weights, sled, layout blind and some other odds and ends. what is hunting like there, field or water? Decoying or jump shooting?

NEVER sell your decoys!

It sounds like you've got a pretty good spread, perfect for hunting puddles, sloughs, lakes, etc. I'd keep what you have, then if you do decide to get into field hunting, start buying shells and full bodies.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Awesome, o have a buddy who wants to trade 4-6 floaters for probably close to a dozen shells. I think I'll do that, and then I will have a beginning set up for both. Thanks, any other ideas!

If you can get your hands on silhouettes, get them. You can use them in both puddles and fields. Just get some PVC pipe to run down to the bottom of the pond and have the top just right at water level, then insert the stake from the silhouette into the pipe, and you've got bigger decoys on your pond. Another advantage of silhouettes is that they give the illusion that they're moving as the birds look down on them. Plus they're light and easy to pack.

Just picked up 12 silhouettes, can't wait to try them out here in the valley.

Leryt, there is some excellent field hunting for geese and cranes over near delta junction, do search on here for more information....
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    If you can get your hands on silhouettes, get them. You can use them in both puddles and fields. Just get some PVC pipe to run down to the bottom of the pond and have the top just right at water level, then insert the stake from the silhouette into the pipe, and you've got bigger decoys on your pond. Another advantage of silhouettes is that they give the illusion that they're moving as the birds look down on them. Plus they're light and easy to pack.
    I used to use the Canadian silhouette /slash/ bag deeks for geese out at Chickaloon and did pretty well. Still have them. But what I was wondering.....I have a bunch of plastic magnum mallard deeks that I've had for a hundred years and I'm thinking the paint has gotten a bit faded. I would imagine you guys repaint plastic deeks? Never done it before. Is there some good paint for that?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Check out Cabelas, or other retail stores, they make kits just for decoys. I'm pretty sure Avery makes paint kits for Canada Goose decoys.