Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent spinning action for hoochies?

Default Independent spinning action for hoochies?

Does anyone know of a modification that could be done to a hoochie setup that would give the hoochie it's own darting and/or wobbling action? Hoochies normally have to be run behind a flasher in order to give the hoochie its action. I hate fighting a fish with a flasher, so am looking at other options.

The local store here in Juneau, Western Auto, sells these little scoop type heads. But in my field testing they didn't impart much action on the hoochie at all. I've also seen folks slap a spin-n-glow in front of the hoochie. Never tried the spin-n-glow before, but my gut tells me it wouldn't cause the hootchie to dart around. Though the spin-n-glow may put out some nice flash and vibration in the water, so that might count for something I guess.

Input appreciated.

You bet. Get yourself some of these.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Agree with Brown Bear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

What size do you like

I use all three. The small is great for the skinny "needlefish" hoochies and little standards less than 4". For the 4"-5" standard "salmon" hoochies, I swap up to medium or large. Leaning more toward the large for deeper fishing or overcast days.

Don't forget there's a relationship between how far away you set them on the leader and how much the hoochie (or fly) will wiggle. Closer is better for more, further for less. Much more than a foot ahead on a 30" leader, and the motion dies off fast. With heavier leaders you can move it further ahead. With lighter leaders you have to shift it closer to the hoochie than with heavier leaders.

Best is to drag the setup alongside the boat, adjusting size and distance from the hoochie to get the action you want.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I have some and have tried them - I just have a hard time going that SLOW for them. If I get in em that good and can go that slow we mooch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have some and have tried them - I just have a hard time going that SLOW for them. If I get in em that good and can go that slow we mooch.
    To clarify, I'm not using these down below 1.8mph. Most times I'm running 2mph-3.5mph when fishing hoochies.
    Merle Haggard

So just the disc & hoochie run on a downrigger, with no flasher? Looks like something worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    So just the disc & hoochie run on a downrigger, with no flasher? Looks like something worth trying.
    Yeah. Or a fly. I do it all the time when fishing without a flasher. Try one on one side without the disc and one on the other side with a disc. If your experience is like mine, it will make you happy that several come in a pack.
    Merle Haggard

That is good to know BB. I might have to try them again. I mostly run wiggle swarms off the ball so might be time to dig em out again. I was not putting them ahead of the hoochie but right at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly run wiggle swarms off the ball so might be time to dig em out again.
    Same here. I have the Swarms on 18" leaders behind the ball (mostly so guys watching too close don't see the Swarm when I pull the ball up). Then I've got my Scotty snubbers/bungees above the ball, then a Black's clip between that and my wire (braid actually). No tangles yet, and I make awfully tight turns. My Scotty 1106's have the booms fully extended and back at a 45 degree angle, plus I almost never let more than 15' of line out behind my wire, with 10' closer to average. Pretty darned handy in tight quarters with sharp turns.
    Merle Haggard

I like that

Hope i am not robbing the thread too much here, but, how do you like the braid on your 1106 and how much did you use and what pound test? I have been using my downriggers for hanging a mesh bait bomb sack for halibut but i fish deeper than 250' a lot. 500' of braid would be hamdandy!

I'm using a 250' spool of 200# braid from Scotty on each downrigger.

My boat is open and aluminum, and when I first put the riggers on with the standard wire, they hummed and groaned like a big megaphone. Man was it noisy. In the shallows I actually watched kings run from the boat, if you can imagine! What sealed the deal was a day I was out by myself and only fishing one rigger, but still in only 16' of water. Lots less noisy and the kings didn't run. Switched to braid and everything went quiet, the kings quit running away, and we went back to catching fish with 2 riggers in the water.

Dunno what braid to recommend for your fishing over 250', but I'm sure it's out there. Only precaution is to clip off about 10' of braid about twice a season and retie, if you're fishing a lot. It does take some wear, and a little of that goes a long ways with braid. I also use the Scotty Trolling Snubbers and the No. 3025 Downrigger Weight Retrievers. I like having a little "give" in the system when a ball bounces bottom, and the weight retrievers really cut down on braid wear while also eliminating leaning way out to work gear with those long booms. You also need to know that the braid requires different stopper beads than those you put on wire for auto-stopping where you want.
    Merle Haggard

These give Hootchies a swimming shaking action I've done really well @ faster speeds like the Wigglefin never ran them side by side though maybe that'll be next.

Look up wiggle hoochie by Shasta Tackle

Hmmm, i usually just release my boom and pull it in and grab my ball or clip. Do you leave the 3025 on the rigger line the whole time? I will have to do more research on the braid and mebbe change next year.

Hmmm, i usually just release my boom and pull it in and grab my ball or clip. Do you leave the 3025 on the rigger line the whole time? I will have to do more research on the braid and mebbe change next year.
    I dinked around with all sorts of strategies when starting out with the 1106's. But swinging in that long 60" boom still leaves the wire way out of reach. Tipping the rigger up as an alternative was a big problem too with even a little chop, especially for my wife. Lots of opportunity for mashed pinkies around the base.

The 3025's solved all that instantly. They live on the wire, with the retrieval line snugged up a little while trolling so the sleeve is up near the block on the end of the boom. Once the ball is up, you just pull on the retrieval line and the wire swings right up to you. Release it after clipping on your line(s) and the wire swings right back out to hang from the boom block. Lot of guys that fish with me haven't used them before. But when they get back to town after using mine, they go right into the store and buy their own. I forgot to clip the retrieval lines to the sleeves one morning, and darned near had a mutiny on board. And no one wants a wife in full blown mutiny!!!!
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Does anyone know of a modification that could be done to a hoochie setup that would give the hoochie it's own darting and/or wobbling action? Hoochies normally have to be run behind a flasher in order to give the hoochie its action. I hate fighting a fish with a flasher, so am looking at other options.

The local store here in Juneau, Western Auto, sells these little scoop type heads. But in my field testing they didn't impart much action on the hoochie at all. I've also seen folks slap a spin-n-glow in front of the hoochie. Never tried the spin-n-glow before, but my gut tells me it wouldn't cause the hootchie to dart around. Though the spin-n-glow may put out some nice flash and vibration in the water, so that might count for something I guess.

Input appreciated.
    I have friends who have used these breakaway flashers and like them. Does anyone on here use them?

http://www.amazon.com/Qcove-Fishing-...akaway+flasher
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I have about a dozen of the QCoves in an array of colors. Don't use them much any more though. The release clips on them are too weak for larger herring, and it doesn't take long for them to get worn to the point about all you can use behind them is flies or smaller hoochies. Everyone's mileage varies of course, but I've written them off as a bad investment for my style of fishing.
    Merle Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast