Thread: Clear Creek / Talkeetna

Default Clear Creek / Talkeetna

How difficult is the river from the Talkeetna launch up to Clear Creek? I am a new jet-boater an have been running from Deshka Landing to the Deshka. How much more difficult is Talkeetna to Clear Creek?

I hear the King fishing is still ok at Clear Creek right now and the Deshka Fishing has been very slow.

Once you get through the "S" 's it is not that difficult to clear creek. If you can read the water some what its OK but if the water level goes up there are some snags that you might not see. Follow some one if at all possiable. Good luck and be safe.

Default My suggestion

I just got back from running up and back with Mahay's and a word of caution. The channels are alot different from what I remember a couple of years back. There is 1 spot about 1/4 up that is really skinny. The channel takes a hard right and has just enough room for 2 boats to have a come to Jesus meeting. I would either follow someone the first time or use extreme caution. Other than that the river is easily runnable.

The fishing is excellent right now.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Default Talkeetna tricky in the braids

I ran it for the first time in May and have only been at this two years. The man is right, those little braids just above the launch are no problem headed up and really get your attention coming down. I had the come to Jesus meeting and I was the only boat there. I think I'd gotten overconfident.

Once past that, no problem. Follow someone or take someone who knows the river well and you'll be just fine.

Default Have your anchor ready

Have a good anchor on board and have it tied off to the bow ready. The Talkeetna is fast and there are some real bad sweepers in it. A loss of power can be a catastrophe if you are not ready.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. Had a great trip today although the fishing could have been better. The "S" was a pain in the butt on the way back because I couldn't find the right entrance to go back through.

There were several Kings rolling in the morning, we only had one hook-up and couldn't land it. It wasn't as crowded as I would have expected. Maybe other people have a better idea where the fish are ( and aren't) now

Default Too bad

About the fishing. On the 3rd I thought it was excellent. Between 8 and noon I saw no less than 20 solid fish ons, with alot of hook ups and a school of 20 or so cruising back and forth at the mouth. Not as crouded as i've seen in the past. I would say in that time I saw at least 15 landed.

These numbers are conservative to protect the bousterous.

Glad you heeded the advice and had a safe trip.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.