Thread: Polly creek run from Kenai

Default Polly creek run from Kenai

Would like to make a Polly Creek crossing from Kenai for razor clams, I know itís shorter from Deep Creek but my trailer is not set up for beach launching with side board; plus Iím a little leery of the whole beach-tractor launch thing with a 25 foot fiberglass boat.

Thinking of giving myself enough start to arrive 1.5-2 hours before low tide. Have never done this so looking for any inputfrom those who have; done a few fly in trips over the years, just never takingthe boat over.

As the boat goes dry I would assume keeping the bow into the waves would be prudent.

Plan is to run the boat into as shallow water as possible, drop anchor then try to keep the bow seaward as she goes dry??

Been thinking of making this trip for a couple of years, would like to make it happen early next month with one of those -4 or-5 tides.

Looking at the tide book donít see Polly Creek in the time adjustment tables (or missed it), whatís the best reference to use??

Thoughts/suggestions

Thanks,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I am going to try to make the same run from seldovia july 4. I drop anchor and then jump in the water and pull my boat back the 600 foot and then let her run dry. As she starts to float I pull myself out to the anchor and start up and off we go. When the tide hits the anchor coming back up it is time for folks to be back at the boat ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting approach, perhaps hip waders would be good to have along.

We dig in our neoprenes or hips or rain pants with rubber knee boots. I give piggy back rides into shallow water!

Made this trip last year from kenai to poly creek in my 22' North River. Watch out for the mouth of the Kenai can be very nasty, as well as the south side of Kalgin in the shallows... I had to run quite a bit south of Kalgin before I could cross... adding quite a bit of time. Took me a good 2.5 hours to get from the Kenai dock to Polly. Be sure to pad your time a bit, so you can arrive a good hour before low.

And calc out ur fuel.

We went across the North and down the West side of Kalgin. Just over 100 mi round trip if I remember correctly. Watch for tidal rips and currents at abrupt depth changes. They can get pretty sloppy. If you play the tides right you can leave Kenai while there is still plenty of water, ride the ebb down, take you time digging and ride the flood home.