Thread: Good Anchorage Down By Latouche ?

Default Good Anchorage Down By Latouche ?

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have been out many times this year already and are starting to make those longer runs. We are looking down by Latouche, and sound end of Montague. Problem is the nightly anchor, and where to do it. Can you get a slip in Chenaga Bay, the village or some of those docs around there? On the satellite image you can see many slips, but don't know if a recreational guy can get one for a night or two. If not, where can a guy anchor that is safe and calm even if the wind picks up. I like really safe, so i can get some sleep, so the calmer the better. It isn't that far of a run from sawmill, I just want to know the bylaws, and rules before i make the trek. There doesn't seem to be too much online about public docs space.

Joe

I don't think there is is a nightly slip to rent, but you can surely anchor anywhere in the bay by chenega village or port ashton lodge if jumpin jack lodge. It fills up when the fish are in but room for everyone, any of the bays you see that are protected will work too. A copy of lethros pws cruising guide is a good thing to have on your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've anchored in the head of bay on the West side of Bainbridge Passage several times.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The back of hogg bay has a nice Anchorage. Get a causing guide to PWS and you will find lots of places.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Fox Farm and South Twin Bay are good anchorages. There are a couple of spots at the South end of the Latouche that are solid anchorages but in the passage itself the current rips.
    You probably can't tie up in Chenega, those slips belong to the village and if you want to try and see if you get kicked out you can. Don't bring any booze with you if you plan that move or you will get kicked out by the public safety officer.
    Change Bay gets busy and crowded with seiners and tenders very soon and there is no place near the town to anchor. Farther back by the Hatchery you can anchor but it is shallow and there are some uncharted rocks back there. Both lodges start to get very busy and slip space is at a premium there. I am sure in an emergency, they would let you tie up but I have not see people stay there, that are not renting a cabin.
    Fox Farm is at the bottom on Elrington passage about ten minutes from Chenega Bay. It is a great anchorage, and never see weather or too much current.

I have tied up at the Chenega dock many times, it belongs to the state. Another option is Hobo Bay, its a small bay but nice. Safe boating!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by abnAK View Post
    I have tied up at the Chenega dock many times, it belongs to the state. Another option is Hobo Bay, its a small bay but nice. Safe boating!
    Is there more than one Hobo Bay in PWS?

Sorry, I meant Horseshoe Bay at Latouche island.

I am pretty sure, the Chenega small boat harbor is owned Chenega Native Corporation and managed by North Pacific Rim Housing Authority. I don't think the State owns any small boat harbors anymore.

I have tied up to that dock at least twice a summer since 2009 with no issues. I was told that it was owned by the state (hear say). I have had interaction with some of the locals and it has all been positive, I have never been approached by their VPSO.

Quote Originally Posted by abnAK View Post
    I have tied up to that dock at least twice a summer since 2009 with no issues. I was told that it was owned by the state (hear say). I have had interaction with some of the locals and it has all been positive, I have never been approached by their VPSO.
    Do you look like you fit in there?

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Do you look like you fit in there?

Not sure what that means.....Please explain?

He means do you physically look like an eskimo.

I stayed in fox farm on friday night and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    He means do you physically look like an eskimo.

I stayed in fox farm on friday night and it was great.

Chenega residents are Alutiq. Referring to all Alaska Natives as "eskimo" is something people from the lower 48 often do.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I apologize. I was not trying to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I apologize. I was not trying to be racist.

Certainly not a racist comment, just sort of like calling a hewescraft a sea sport!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I agree.

Default Good Anchorage Down By Latouche ?

There are slips available at Chenega Bay as long as you check in with the Harbor Master and pay. There is water and power available at a cost but there is no fuel for sale. If you have GCI you can call 301-0831 and talk to Travis. It is the only cell service out in the village.

Grew up exploring Alaska via the air - now it's time to explore it on a 4wheeler - one mile at a time!