Thread: Eureka for Memorial Day Weekend

Default Eureka for Memorial Day Weekend

Planning to head up to Eureka this weekend for some camping and riding. Has anyone been up there this spring? Will be our first time up there so any advice/suggestions is highly welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by iaedyene View Post
    Planning to head up to Eureka this weekend for some camping and riding. Has anyone been up there this spring? Will be our first time up there so any advice/suggestions is highly welcomed.
    Take a GPS. Suppose to be clear weather but a low cloud cover and you could get disorientated. Depending where you ride not hard to get around but also easy to get going the wrong way when fuel is a little low....Waders are a good idea. If you go out behind Eureka Lodge, a long rope with a good dead man anchor point. Never hurts to walk it first if you are unsure whether it be a mud hole, a hill or a water crossing. Caution is always the best route.

Last and this is for everyone......stay to the right especially in turns where you do not have a clear view. Expect the idiot to be around the next turn waiting to take you out. There are some very fast and very wide machines out there.

Some buddies went there last weekend. Had to stop at the creek just before going up monument. There is a big ice shelf that they couldn't go around. Massive ice shelf they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thank you guys for the quick replies. These are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Some buddies went there last weekend. Had to stop at the creek just before going up monument. There is a big ice shelf that they couldn't go around. Massive ice shelf they said.
    I ran into the same thing on May 23rd last year up there heading towards horse pasture and also the valleys going to old man creek. All the creeks were iced over in the mornings.

So is Eureka better to do later in the season and instead go somewhere else for Memorial Day weekend?

Grew up exploring Alaska via the air - now it's time to explore it on a 4wheeler - one mile at a time!

Was up near Gunsight last weekend and there is still some snow on the trails over Balenger. When we hit the creeks there was too much bad ice. to go further.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Kings river to Ruby lake or even further is a great weekend ride. lots of great camping spots. Boulder creek is really nice too.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

You don't know if they try using the less used lower trail and then follow the river up?

Trying to get up over the top to much before Memorial Day can always be real tricky. I have been hit with a heavy snow fall mid June up top.

Yep. They tried that too. The water was too high to run the river.

MMSI# 338232859

Thanks Rob....

Well we are still going to give it a go. Got the gps and we have 3 4wheelers and 2 winches. Will venture out tomorrow. Even if we just have to dink around close to the road that is okay. Any riding is better than no riding and will at least get us a feeling of the area. I really appreciate everyone's info and input. Have a safe and fun Memorial weekend.

Grew up exploring Alaska via the air - now it's time to explore it on a 4wheeler - one mile at a time!

How'd it go? we are thinking of heading out that way next week and are curious about the snow/ice/river crossing situation. Any intel would be much appreciated!!

Default Eureka for Memorial Day Weekend

It was our first time out there and had a blast!! I apologize in advance that I don't know the names of places lol but we went 7.8 miles back before heading back. The trail and steepness wasn't too scary for my beginner self. Didn't see any snow or ice and crossed all the creeks successfully. We would watch how others crossed it and followed their same paths. This was a great learning experience for myself with the water/mud crossing. Looking forward to head back and this time camp in the gravel pits. We camped at the RV park in Tolsona Wilderness Campground which was very nice but the 45 mile difference was a bit far to drive back and forth everyday.

Next week is Knik Glacier for the first time.

Would have gone further back but we had kids with us. Next trip will just be us and we'll be able to pack and head out further.

There is an RV park at about 135 mile and then it is only a couple mile run on the ATV's back to 130 mile. We have camped at the gravel pits several times in the past and like the gravel pit at 132 mile better then the one at 130 mile. There are lots of trails back there and one can really have fun exploring them all. Depending on the weather and water level, from four corners go left(kind of north-west) and work your way over the Flat creek. Once at Flat creek you have some good running up stream for a ways. If you go down stream you will come out on the Little Nel. Then it is up Monument and back to four corners. We have made this run on some days that really challenged us and other days that it was like a walk in the park.
    I am not sure if they still have them, but stop in the Eureka lodge and see if they have any of the maps that cover the trails in that area. They tend to help a lot.

Thank you! I will do that next trip up there. We did try to get into Slide Mountain RV park but it was full. The pit at 132 did look nice. Was cool to see all the different folks corralled together. We're hoping to get to meet more folks that like to ride that we can do this kind of thing with and learn from their experience.

Where is the staging area to ride these trails?

Mile 130 on the north side of the road. It's a gravel pit.