Thread: Canoe with motor on the Fortymile

Default Canoe with motor on the Fortymile

I haven't seen anyone post any info on this, but is it conceivable to run a canoe with a small motor up the Fortymile River from the Taylor Highway, portage at the Kink, and continue up further, hunt in Zone 2 of the caribou registration, and float back down. I know it would be a lot of work, but so is getting up most mornings. Trying to plan for another adventure in 2018. Knute

If the water was up, I'd say yes. Be prepared to do some lining in your chest waders. What canoe are you planning on using? What time of year?

pipercub, in 2010 I flew in with 40-Mile Air, and did a drop hunt on the Middle Fork up stream of Joseph Creek. In that stretch of the river, and in that year, their was plenty of water to run a canoe or even a boat with a motor. I'm looking at using an 18 ft. Aluminacraft, with a 3hp outboard. I would look at using something different if this isn't a good option. Would really like to do a canoe access hunt of this kind, save some $$$'s by not using a transporter, and have a great adventure. I will have 2 others on this trip with me, with the possibility of using 40-Mile to do a gear drop, and maybe flying one person in. We would be hunting both moose and caribou. Knute

Yeah the river is plenty deep most years. I wouldn't count on getting much above Joseph if you are paddling meat out. 40mi could do a pickup at Joseph. Three people in an 18' with gear doesn't leave much for moose or caribou.

I was thinking we could haul an inflatable in with us in the canoe, and then have plenty of room and weight allowance for meat gear and hunters to float out. Really want to do a hunt like this, and I'm open for other river options, but I really like the Middle Fork area. This canoe is an older model that is wide, and my father floated several moose out with it on lakes and rivers in Ontario, many years ago. Knute

I ran this by a friend that had floatedthat river many times. He says no way.... as we know there is ALWAYS a way..

here's his feedback...

a day to the kink( I think that's the obstacle)... then two days FLOATING, above that... how many days up that equates to.. I dunno... he said no way. Of course you can encounter a moose anywhere on that river, the population is super thin.... and the better hunting is higher..

for what it's worth... an adventure is an adventure.. with or without killing success... the harvest thing is pretty nice though.. fly in...

anchorrivercrowds, thanks for the info. A friend that is planning on doing this hunt with me, found a pretty detail description of the Middle Fork Fortymile from Joseph out to the Taylor Hwy. Sounds like there would be at least 3 portages, that would be a lot of work with 1 or 2 aluminum canoes and motors, plus gear, and any meat load on the way out. As stated before, I have hunted upstream of the Joseph landing, flown in by 40-Mile Air, back in 2010. I really would like to hunt that area, being in Zone 2 of the caribou registration. Doesn't look like there is much of any other options for motoring in and floating back out. I'm sure your friend knows better than me, but curious to why he says, "no way". Not trying to kill myself, or others on this idea, just looking for a way to get away from crowds and transporter $$$. Thanks again for your input. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    anchorrivercrowds, thanks for the info. A friend that is planning on doing this hunt with me, found a pretty detail description of the Middle Fork Fortymile from Joseph out to the Taylor Hwy. Sounds like there would be at least 3 portages, that would be a lot of work with 1 or 2 aluminum canoes and motors, plus gear, and any meat load on the way out. As stated before, I have hunted upstream of the Joseph landing, flown in by 40-Mile Air, back in 2010. I really would like to hunt that area, being in Zone 2 of the caribou registration. Doesn't look like there is much of any other options for motoring in and floating back out. I'm sure your friend knows better than me, but curious to why he says, "no way". Not trying to kill myself, or others on this idea, just looking for a way to get away from crowds and transporter $$$. Thanks again for your input. Knute

Yea, I was surprised he was s adamant when he said.."no way"... it is a fairly high volume river even on dry years, and he said two solid days floating out to get to the kink...so I duno..

A guy came on here a few years back and told us he was going to paddle from Seattle to chilcoot... portage over to the Yukon.. float to the mouth of the chandalar in spring conditions...line up to the head waters.. portage across to the koyukuk.. float down to the Yukon..float out to the Berng sea.. paddle south around Newenham.. into Bristol bay... up the togiak... into lake Clark..across Williamsport..into Cook inlet..up the inlet to Anchorage...

We said "you crazy?".. can't be done.,.. are you talking three years.. no.. just a Summer..

We laughed.. the he did it.. so.. "no way" is all relative...lol

Sure it could be done.. going up would be tough... coming down in a loaded canoe could be tricky..

Good luck...

Knute
    Doug here , I'd like to get togeather and hear the stroys from your last trip . you came to Emopria last time so I'll come to C.G this time ?

Give me a holler, Doug, and lets set it up sometime soon.