Thread: Rifle feed ramp polishing

Default Rifle feed ramp polishing

Gents,

How should I go about polishing a rifle feed ramp? rifle specifically is a kimber montana 338-06.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

I used ring lapping compound on a Dremel buffer wheel on the Montana I had, going from coarse to fine. Worked like a champ.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Gents,

How should I go about polishing a rifle feed ramp? rifle specifically is a kimber montana 338-06.

Thanks
    Did it not come already polished? Are you having feed issues, are there tool marks present. I was just messing with a $300 dollar Ruger American and was noticing how smooth the feed ramps was from the factory. I sincerely hope that wouldn't have to be done costing what Kimbers cost.

If it needs doin then it needs doing and Kay9Cop's method is the way I would do it......be careful if you use course compound as you can over do it.

I use a drill with a split piece of drill rod and sandpaper. And of course if a drill works a 25000 RPM die grinder would do it better, right? It did until my 12 inch piece of drill rod being somewhat unbalanced bent sideways and was vibrating so bad I couldn't turn it off or let go of it. Someone yanked the cord out of the wall , I guess it was pretty funny....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default video

That would have made a good You Tube video!

I find a wooden dowel rod actually works better than drill rod. Less mass and less vibration when it gets out of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoske View Post
    I use a drill with a split piece of drill rod and sandpaper. And of course if a drill works a 25000 RPM die grinder would do it better, right? It did until my 12 inch piece of drill rod being somewhat unbalanced bent sideways and was vibrating so bad I couldn't turn it off or let go of it. Someone yanked the cord out of the wall , I guess it was pretty funny....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK