Thread: 2009 Sportsman Battery Won't hold a charge

Default 2009 Sportsman Battery Won't hold a charge

Nearly every time I go to start my Sportsman 400 there is not enough charge to start the engine. Replaced the battery several times, changed the rectifier and finally took it to the shop and had the stator changed. Still will not keep the battery charged. I have a Kawasaki Mule that sits for months and starts on the first turn
    Any ideas where I should look next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look for a shop or someone that has the test equipment and knows how to troubleshoot 12v electrical systems not just replace parts. Or buy a shop manual an a VOM and try to fix it your self.

Ya it's at a remote property. I'll have to try and figure out and repair on my own

Could be a number of things. A few to look at - check the connections at the starter itself, take the starter apart and clean it, make sure the starter solenoid is making good contact, use an ammeter to check for a parasitic drain when the machine is off, (if you find current being used when off, start pulling fuses and unplugging accessories until you find out which one is to blame). It may not be the battery at fault, I've seen bad connections at the starter cause issues many times. Is the headlight bright with the key on (engine off)? Check voltage on the battery with the engine off and then on and note the difference. It should be 12+v off and 13-14v with the engine running.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I had same issue on my truck for several years. Finally had starter go out. After I pulled the starter, I found it was grounded. Replaced w/ new and no problems starting after truck sitting for 2 weeks.

Well I'd do what was stated above, disconnect the battery when you leave. If it starts on your next try, you have something on at all times draining the battery.

Thanks guys for all the good info. I'll start troubleshooting next week. I hate working on this **** thing. Polaris with their brilliant engineering department never considered you might have to change the battery, what a pain. To change the rectifier I had to pull the front brush guard and cowl to get at the unit. Again Thanks for all the help. I'm remote so I am going to get a good tool kit with the proper Allen wrenches.

The newer ATV's all have a slight electrical drag. A digital gauge or something. Battery probably went totally dead at one time or was partially dead and froze. Go get a new battery and disconnect it every time or get a solar panel and a trickle charger from Batteries Plus. (they have the whole set up as a package) When I buy a new ATV now I have them install a switch to disconnect the battery so there is no drain on it.

I had a similar problem with my new snowmachine. Turns out a mis-wired accessory was causing the parasitic drain. It's easy enough to check for, just disconnect the negative battery terminal and insert your multi-meter in ammeter mode to measure the current. Ideally there will be zero current when the machine is off.

Did you fix the battery problem with the ATV?

All occasionally driven EFI Polaris wheelers will consume batteries while in storage unless you disconnect them or use a trickle charger. I added a Summit Racing battery disconnect switch on my Ranger and it works great. No battery issues at all since.

I changed the battery with a Duracell. Held up all summer finally. Thanks for the battery disconnect lead, I'll get one coming. Such a chore changing the battery. I just bought a Yamaha Viking VI, battery is under the hood where it should be