Thread: Motor to move Cataraft

Default Motor to move Cataraft

Hey Everyone. I just bought me a 16' Aire Lion Cataraft. It came with a 2.3 Horsepower outboard. With 4 average size people, could that actually move the boat along in Skilak Lake or does it need a larger engine to actually get to the upper Skilak lake boat launch?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Chugiak, Alaska

I run a 4 hp on my 18' Aire Cougar and it makes about 5 mph on calm water. That is with 4 adults, most heavier than average. As long as the wind isn't in your face it should do okay. Would beat rowing for sure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Anchorage, Alaska

You can always use a larger outboard, but honestly that run isn't too bad, and you'll be fine. Remember that it must be a four-stroke to be legal on Skilak, or any other water that drains into the Kenai River.

I've rowed that stretch and it's long enough that you wish you had something to push you along. Bring some snacks and enjoy the ride! Don't know if you've done it before, but generally the best time is in the morning, as you often get a wind that comes up on the lake after 10am or so. Lots of folks have died on Skilak over the years, it's nothing to mess with. Wear your floatation gear!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay