Thread: Osprey Owners...Advice Wanted!!!

Default Osprey Owners...Advice Wanted!!!

Im looking for anyone who owns or has owned an osprey fishing boat. I've always loved the looks of them but I don't have much experience being in them or driving them. I'm looking at buying a new ocean boat (not brand new) and am considering an osprey. I just want to hear your likes, dislikes, how they handle big water, how they sit on the hook, etc...

The one I'm looking at is a 1999 24 ft that was converted to an outboard by a marine dealer. Please let me know any thoughts you have on the boat. Just looking at getting some opinions before i go to see and drive the boat myself.

Thanks 841-6569 Adam

They're out of business. I've run a couple and they're solid seaworthy boats heavy for glass and loads of freeboard. Tough pulling big halibut over.

I know a little bit about ospery boats.
    Post acouple pics, I have a boat that was inboard which know I have outboard.
    I've had mine in some big water. It's handles just fine it a heavy boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

My 26' long cabin is a dream. They have their quirks that some folks don't like but I've yet to find another boat that I like better. I don't have experience with an outboard as I've got the 5.7 Volvo but it pushes the boat along nicely. They handle big water like a champ but are a bit rough in the chop if you don't slow down.

I liked mine when I had it. It handled the water great. Even in big seas, I never felt unsafe. My biggest complaint was that the engine compartment was ridiculously small and it was a PITA to work on. You won't have that problem though. The walk around is nice for some people, but when my kids got older, I needed more room in the cabin which the ospreys are pretty narrow. It is good for 2-3 adults for overnighters, 4 for day trips. Overall, a tough seaworthy boat.

I have the 26ft long cabin with Volvo Diesel and outdrive. I really haven't been on any long trips or overnight. I live in Homer, so I just run around for the day and come home... I've owned it for about a year. So far, I really like how the boat handles. I watch the weather pretty close and I haven't been stuck out in anything too rough. I have crossed the bay in some nasty situations, 6-8 footers just last weekend. Last fall I crossed in some +10ft water. I was glad it was only a few miles across, but the boat handled very well in both situations.

I've heard that boats with the outboards handle differently, but I've not been on one with the outboards. My engine weighs about 1,000lbs so it's nice to have something that heavy sitting low in the hull of the boat. I think it helps stabilize the boat.

HighCountryBulls mentioned they can be rough in the chop. I can see that. However, as he says, managing speed is part of the issue. I see a bunch of other Opsrey's running around with the bow way up in the air. I think they have a tendency to run bow high by design, but I trim the outdrive and use trim tabs to keep the bow where it needs to be. That seems to smooth the ride quite a bit.

I think the biggest complaint with these boat is the water getting into the fish holds and bilge. There was a design flaw at the factory with the scuppers. Bascially, they are misaligned and sea water can enter through eventually. If your boat doesn't have this repaired all ready, it a pretty simply fix. You can get some good info from https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Osprey_Boats/info

I have the metal fish hold hatches. I've replaced the seals and I still can't seem to stop water from getting into the fish holds. It's not a problem running around on the water. It's more of rainwater getting in there. If you leave you boat in the harbor, then you will want to make sure you don't have this problem. I know some people install bilge pumps with a float switch inside the back fish boxes or they disconnect the macerator hose and let the water drain directly into the bilge and let the main bilge pump remove the water. Either way, you just want to make sure the water can be removed automatically because they can fill up and apparently have filled up enough to sink these boats.

Overall, it's a nice boat and I like it a lot!

Sorry for the long post, I hope that helps...

Default Osprey Owners...Advice Wanted!!!

Mbarth is correct about bilge. Cut the hose on each side so can all drain to main. Then install auto float switch! I did this on mine and it work great. I can walk away from boat and not worry!

I had Volvo diesel in mine and I personally think it rides better with outboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    I have the 26ft long cabin with Volvo Diesel and outdrive. I really haven't been on any long trips or overnight. I live in Homer, so I just run around for the day and come home... I've owned it for about a year. So far, I really like how the boat handles. I watch the weather pretty close and I haven't been stuck out in anything too rough. I have crossed the bay in some nasty situations, 6-8 footers just last weekend. Last fall I crossed in some +10ft water. I was glad it was only a few miles across, but the boat handled very well in both situations.

I've heard that boats with the outboards handle differently, but I've not been on one with the outboards. My engine weighs about 1,000lbs so it's nice to have something that heavy sitting low in the hull of the boat. I think it helps stabilize the boat.

HighCountryBulls mentioned they can be rough in the chop. I can see that. However, as he says, managing speed is part of the issue. I see a bunch of other Opsrey's running around with the bow way up in the air. I think they have a tendency to run bow high by design, but I trim the outdrive and use trim tabs to keep the bow where it needs to be. That seems to smooth the ride quite a bit.

I think the biggest complaint with these boat is the water getting into the fish holds and bilge. There was a design flaw at the factory with the scuppers. Bascially, they are misaligned and sea water can enter through eventually. If your boat doesn't have this repaired all ready, it a pretty simply fix. You can get some good info from https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Osprey_Boats/info

I have the metal fish hold hatches. I've replaced the seals and I still can't seem to stop water from getting into the fish holds. It's not a problem running around on the water. It's more of rainwater getting in there. If you leave you boat in the harbor, then you will want to make sure you don't have this problem. I know some people install bilge pumps with a float switch inside the back fish boxes or they disconnect the macerator hose and let the water drain directly into the bilge and let the main bilge pump remove the water. Either way, you just want to make sure the water can be removed automatically because they can fill up and apparently have filled up enough to sink these boats.

Overall, it's a nice boat and I like it a lot!

Sorry for the long post, I hope that helps...
    The only way you'll get those hatches to be waterproof is either to spend some big bucks for watertight hatches like PE Anchor's or Freemans. I posted a picture of one in another thread on here a 16x24 sized one is aprox $350. The other way would be to glass on raised combings or use aluminum angle to make the combings and have hatch covers to fit over them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692